Official ROH Discussion Thread

alexander

• Paid Members

Syd Eick gone from ROH - credit 411

Longtime ROH employee Syd Eick was fired by the company over the weekend. Eick had been part of ROH since its inception in 2002 and was involved in most of the company's adminstrative decisions, booking of arenas, paying talent, selling tickets and whatever else there was to do. Eick has received mixed reviews from people inside the business

Mark Briscoe is god! :laugh:

The sad thing is I don't know if they were just in character or if they really are brain damaged.

I imagine they were in character, Or aleast i hope they are. Still the greatest thing apart from Steen right now in ROH

Can't even access there site now but from the preview it looks like there starting "Dem Boys TV" which could be gold!

Also i for one am glad BJ is getting a chance, Aslong as Dan Maff stays away from ROH i will be happy. BJ was the shinning light in that awful team, Although they were better then Da Hit Squad. Who seemed to think they were more over then they actually were

Edited by Only_The_Strong_Survive

• Paid Members

ROH Tag Wars 2010 (28 August 2010)

TagWars2010Final.jpg

On the road to the 'Glory by Honor IX' iPPV in New York, this DVD features the first Charlotte show for ROH since the 'Big Bang' iPPV in April. This time they are running in a much smaller venue for the second half of the double-shot that started last night with the abysmal 'Champions' Challenge'. Surely this one will be better?

Thankfully, the signs are good as quick early bouts of El Generico vs. Erick Stevens and Grizzly Redwood vs. Necro Butcher are both very enjoyable indeed. Generico and Redwood are two of my absolute favourite guys to watch in wrestling, even keeping you interested in otherwise pointless matches such as these. These 2 contests hardly set the world on fire, but they are perfectly decent throwaway fun. Eddie Edwards and Colt Cabana then take things further in their meeting by putting on a really good display of mat wrestling. The weakest offering in the first hour of the disc is Steve Corino vs. Bobby Dempsey, but even that manages to entertain.

The DVD takes a downturn with the worthless inclusion of a 6-man tag pitting Cedric Alexander & The Bravado Brothers against Jake Manning & Marker Dillinger & Caleb Konley. Since they haven't bothered to try and tell you anything about these guys, and the match doesn't do a good job of telling you either, these are just faceless goons going through the motions. The show then gets back on track somewhat with Roderick Strong vs. Kevin Steen. This is one of those bouts that takes a while to get going, with the first half being completely unremarkable, but then comes together well in the end for a satisfying conclusion. Interference from Corino, Cabana and Generico makes things even more exciting, and watch out for Strong continuing to build towards his upcoming title challenge by taking shots at the champion in his performance.

As you would expect from the DVD title, the 2010 Tag Wars series reaches its climax here after the previous rounds contested over the last month's live events and TV shows. Now, tournament finalists The Briscoes, the All Night Xpress and the Dark City Fight Club compete with ROH World Tag Team Champions the Kings of Wrestling in a 4-way elimination 'Ultimate Endurance' match for the belts. It's been a while since ROH did one of these, but what this means is that each fall of the match is fought under different rules. This time it starts as a normal 4-way tag, then becomes a 3-way Tornado match after the first elimination, before the final 2 teams contest the gold in a 'scramble'. It sounds ridiculously convoluted, but actually works well in execution and showcases the tag division in a really positive light. It is well-paced, and develops and builds in a way that draws you into what they are doing. A very strong effort.

The final contest on offer here is a rematch of the most talked about ROH match of 2010, Tyler Black vs. Davey Richards. This time, the title is not on the line and, despite requests from Executive Produce James E Cornette, WWE-bound Black refuses to put it up as they continue the deal where he intends on leaving the promotion as champion. Black totally plays up to the fact he is joining the multi-national corporate juggernaut, even breaking out "You can't see me" at one point. While you can't say this one reaches the heights of their 'Death Before Dishonor' iPPV stunner (and still isn't the "Flair vs. Steamboat for our generation"), this is nevertheless one of ROH's top singles main events of 2010. A top quality scrap that is full of tension, drama and excitement, this closes the show on a major high.

Overall, this is a huge improvement on the previous night's event. Aside from the 6-man tag, there isn't a single bad match on the show, with the main event being tremendous and the 4-way Tag Wars final being particularly good too. As such, this is an ROH 'B' show DVD that comes with my recommendation.

Full show results:

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

El Generico beat Erick Stevens with a brainbuster

Steve Corino beat Bobby Dempsey with a lariat

Necro Butcher beat Grizzly Redwood with a Tiger Driver

Eddie Edwards pinned Colt Cabana

The Bravado Brothers (Lance & Harlem) & Cedric Alexander beat Jake Manning & Caleb Konley & Marker Dillinger

Roderick Strong beat Kevin Steen with Tyler Black's superkick

Tag Wars 2010 Final; Ultimate Endurance Match:

All Night Xpress (Rhett Titus & Kenny King) eliminated Dark City Fight Club (John Davis & Cory Chavis) with a Blockbuster over knees

The Briscoes (Jay & Mark) eliminated All Night Xpress with the Doomsday Device

Kings of Wrestling (Chris Hero & Claudio Castagnoli) beat The Briscoes to win Tag Wars and retain the ROH World Tag Team Titles by using the loaded elbow pad

Davey Richards beat Tyler Black by submission to the Texas Cloverleaf

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Up next: Glory By Honor weekend has arrived, including Tyler Black's final ROH appearances and the next major annual iPPV event. If I manage to keep this pace up, considering I'll only be watching selected events from 2011, I'll be up to date in no time.... yeah right...

Edited by Big Benny HG

• Paid Members

ROH Fade to Black (10 September 2010)

Fade-To-Black.jpg

A bit of an interesting one from ROH, here. This release contains both the entire live event which took place in Plymouth, MA the night before the 'Glory by Honor IX' iPPV, as well as being a 'Best of Tyler Black' compilation. Indeed, this was the reigning World Champion's last weekend in the promotion before becoming Seth Rollins in WWE developmental, and spread across this 2-disc offering is a meaty selection of Black's better matches from his 4-year ROH run, presented in full.

The show itself starts with a short-but-enjoyable Eddie Edwards non-televised Television Title defence ( :rolleyes: ) against Erick Stevens. Stevens may be completely irrelevant to ROH these days, but this is one of his best singles efforts in some time. Following a completely pointless and un-noteworthy Grizzly Redwood vs. Bob Evans (who?) match, Austin Aries (who would himself also be gone from ROH after this weekend) is accompanied to his match with Kyle O'Reilly by a hot redhead with some "lovely pillows". The newcomer is allowed to look good against the former champion in another quick, fun HDNet-style match.

Quite why Shawn Daivari & Necro Butcher of The Embassy would need to fight fellow heels Kevin Steen & Steve Corino in a First Blood match, with no associated story or build, is never explained, other than to seemingly tick the "hardcore match" box on the booking sheet. The resulting action is a relatively fun for what it is, but this is another really quick one, and ends up with the Plymouth fans fully behind Steen and Corino, supposedly the top bad guys in this place. At this point, while there has been nothing outwardly terrible on the show, the quick succession of really short (nothing so far has lasted more than 10 minutes), completely meaningless random matches is starting to turn into a bit of an insult.

That feeling doesn't exactly change with All Night Express' squash of unknown faceless jobbers Matt Taven & Sid Reeves (again, who?) and a Roderick Strong match against debuting local boy Mike Bennett (who should totally do a Jeff Jarrett tribute: that's B, E, double-N, E, double-T). The latter does offer up some decent-ish action while it lasts, but why could anyone possibly care?

The last 2 matches on the show are the only ones which realistically offer anything of substance. The Kings of Wrestling's duos title defence against El Generico & Colt Cabana is a splendid outing for all 4 involved, as they put on a fabulous display of exciting back-and-forth traditional tag team wrestling that stands had-and-shoulders above anything else on the card. The fact that the non-title main event contest of Tyler Black vs. Christopher Daniels starts with over 35 minutes left on the DVD scared the absolute crap out of me, and before you ask, yes, they do use up all of that time. The bout plods along for the most part, but does provide some highlights in Black using John Cena spots to wind up the fans, as well as trying to end the bout quickly by any method just to get out of what he sees as a pointless match (using, in fact, many of the same tactics Aries used against him in their title bouts). The contest does pick up about 15 minutes in, and from that point it's all-action until they lay on a really flat ending. It's an encounter that has to settle for being decent, but could have been very good if it had been half as long and if Daniels was remotely likeable.

If you pick up this DVD for the live show, you'll be sorely disappointed with this release. As such, it is probably best to think of 'Fade to Black' purely as a Best of Tyler Black set and actually treat the show itself as bonus content in support of that. Even then, it's only the last two bouts which should be of interest since the rest of the card is completely and utterly worthless.

While the "Best of.." element isn't a full and definitive anthology (hardly anything from 2009 and nothing at all from 2010 are included, presumably since that could harm DVD sales of those shows), what is on offer is truly excellent. We see 3 really good tag scraps as part of The Age of the Fall with Jimmy Jacobs, first vs. The Briscoes at both 'Final Battle 2007' and 'Supercard of Honor III', and then vs. Kevin Steen & El Generico in the 'Driven 2008' Pay-Per-View main event. Turning to singles performances, and his magnificent 2008 national PPV singles main events vs. Nigel McGuiness ('Take No Prisoners') and vs. Bryan Danielson ('New Horizons') are included, as is the third and final encounter in Black's superb 2009 series on HDNet vs. Danielson. The terrific drama which is the 4-way elimination main event from the Hammerstein Ballroom ('Death Before Dishonor VI') is also present, vs. McGuiness vs. Danielson vs. Claudio Castagnoli. Throw in a fun little 3-way of Black vs. Danielson vs. Kenny Omega and you have a brilliant overall package.

So then, if you ignore the actual show, 'Fade to Black' is a fantastic collection of some of Tyler Black's finest ROH work all in one compilation. If you don't already have these on original DVDs, then, rather bizarrely when you consider the event itself was poo, I have to give this release a very strong recommendation indeed.

Full show results:

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Eddie Edwards pinned Erick Stevens with a backslide to retain the ROH Television Title

Grizzly Redwood beat 'Brutal' Bob Evans with a roll-up

Austin Aries beat Kyle O'Reilly by submission to the Last Chancery

Kevin Steen & Steve Corino{W} beat The Embassy (Necro Butcher{L} & Shawn Daivari) in a First Blood Match, using a beer bottle

All Night Express (Rhett Titus & Kenny King) beat Matt Taven & Sid Reeves

Roderick Strong beat Mike Bennett with Tyler Black's superkick

Kings of Wrestling (Chris Hero & Claudio Castagnoli) beat El Generico & Colt Cabana to retain the ROH World Tag Team Titles

Tyler Black & Christopher Daniels fought to a 30-minute time limit draw

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Up next: the big Glory By Honor IX iPPV, featuring Black vs. Strong for the World Title, the next Generico/Cabana vs. Steen/Generico war, and a guest appearance from Charlie Haas & Shelton Benjamin as they take on Kings of Wrestling.

Edited by Big Benny HG

• Paid Members
He doesn't read other people's posts remember.

I tend to avoid yours, for obvious reasons

Watching the 21/01/12 episode- Fucking hell! Dem Boys are over like rover. Them coming out felt a bit more entertainment-esque not a drawn out PURE SPORTS BUILD~!! Not saying I have a problem with the competitive side or the initial sporting aspect but I still wanna have a bit of fun with my wrestling. Currently the Briscoes are supplying via the youtube channel and this appearance etc.

carolinas-dvd.png

Good idea considering they have showed some of the matches on TV.

"Battle In The Carolinas" includes both "Southern Defiance" & "Northern Aggression". This set features the COMPLETE historic 8-Man Elimination Tag Match from Greensboro, the 20 Man Honor Rumble for a Title shot from Spartanburg, Eddie Edwards vs. El Generico, and much more!

"Southern Defiance"- Spartanburg, SC 12/3/11

1. 20 Man Honor Rumble: Winner receives a future ROH World Title Match

2. First Time Singles Match In ROH:

Edited by Only_The_Strong_Survive

Has anyone tried to update their account to the paid recently? There are a few shows I am after so I figure its a good time to join up to take advantage of the additional 15% off you get but whenever I try to do this I get a message which says that the option is not available on my account. Anyone else come across this?