Official ROH Discussion Thread

alexander

I got the 100th show today and have only watched the CZW segments so far.The Cornette/Zandig debate is an embarassment on both mens parts. Zandig is terrible on the mic so has no business even being there and Cornette is shit beyond belief as he makes nothing close to a real argument or debate and just rambles on about all the people he's worked with putting himself over and making really unfunny and immature gay jokes which should be above someone as good on the mic as Cornette. He's definitely lost alot of points in my book because of this.The 6 man main event is an awesome violent brawl and the crowd heat made it a great atmosphere. My only criticisms would be that there was no footage of Super Dragon getting into fights with fans. The sight of the bloody and battered CZW guys celebrating with the CZW fans section was fantastic.

Cornette falls back on gay jokes a fair bit in ROH, seemingly. His tirade on Supercard of Honour was pathetically homophobic. I personally wish these people would grow up and find better insults, because being gay doesn't qualify. I've noticed some of Roderick Strong's in-ring rants have a similar thread, and AJ Styles is developing a reputation for it. Just drags the product down... Edited by edgecrusher

I'm really getting into ROH lately. The DG six man was astonishingly excellent.Also, Homicide and the Rottweilers in general are brilliant, far and away some of the standout characters in the promotion. Julius Smokes is one hell of a personality.

Ahhh...Julius Smokes. He's a wonder. One of my all time favourite wrestling moments is Smokes screaming "I hate yo Japanese Ass!" at Jushin Liger, wonderfully surreal.My reviews have been a bit quiet lately, I have "Dragon Gate Challenge", "Supercard of Honor" and "Better Than Our Best"...But I can't watch them until my copy of "Best In The World" arrives! God knows how I got myself into this situation...

Back in his J-Train days Julius used to sit in the crowd at New York shows and just go off and yell and be generally loud for his boys (aka Doghouse wrestlers) never in my dreams did i think he could refine his unbelievable annoyance into such amazing genius. Theres times in ROH when he interacts with a member of the crowd and just stops the audience dead with his great one liners.

Oh, he's great with the crowd, but it's actually his energy and the constant... sound, he makes, which roughly ends with 'yeah', not to mention that pose he strikes with the weird grin when he's leading Reyes or Homicide to the ring. Just the sight of him bouncing around the ring like some kind of black, Human-sized tennis ball is arresting. And he does bark very well.And who can forget: "Bleed you swine! Bleed you white swine!"It's also good that he goes out of his way to press the whole gang-equals thing, because he's all over his guys when they win. He's just a brilliant mouthpiece and personality to have representing someone. Homicide doesn't really need him, but Reyes would be nothing without Smokes IMO.ROH has some great male managers. Smokes is by far my favourite, but Prince Nana is slowly growing on me. I prefer The Rottweilers to The Embassy, overall, partly because I can't exactly tell what The Embassy's gimmick is supposed to be. After watching five shows and seeing a couple of backstage segments, I think that they're some kind of aggro-hippy stable, or at least are pretending to be, and are funded by Prince Nana who's some kind of African rich man who's decided to buy his way through ROH. But whatever, I prefer Julius Smokes and the Rottweilers, all told. Though unfortunately The Embassy's in-ring talent is superior.

Edited by edgecrusher

The Embassy is a weird one. They started off as a kind of dumping ground for guys with nothing to do, or guys who were really vanilla and dull – Xavier, Walters, Josh Daniels, Rave…Then Jimmy Rave became a really good worker in a really short amount of time, and they dropped the super talented Alex Shelley into the mix…and suddenly they’re involved in the top feud in the company and stealing the show every night. Adding Daizee haze to the stable helps as well…As far as the gimmick goes, Nana is an African Prince who wants to buy success in ROH, so his recruits aren’t really bound together by one character type. Rave is a douchebag who can’t wrestle and needs to cheat to win. Shelley is an evil metrosexual. They are united by the fact they’re all jerks. I love them, only Danielson rivals them on the entertainment stakes in ROH.

Well, that's mostly because of the toilet paper, you must admit. Whoever thought you'd say THAT about a wrestling faction? :)I can see what you mean. I was going to point out the Rottweilers, but they're less 'entertaining' and more 'fucking dangerous'. The recent ongoing angle of Homicide REPEATEDLY murdering Colt Cabana is just brutal, brutal stuff. You'd think it'd kill his career, but he seems to be just getting stronger from it. Should we call him Tommy Dreamer II and get it over and done with?

• Paid Members

I'm watching the rest of the 100th show right now and my biggest peeve with ROH is just continually getting in my face and stopping me from truly getting into the action.THE RING. What a fucking shitty ring. It looks like they're wrestling on a cardboard trampoline. Moves don't look painful if when they hit the mat they just bounce up into the air again. They should try getting a ring similar to PWG's which is loud as hell and doesn't look like something you'd have at a kids birthday party.

Well, that's mostly because of the toilet paper, you must admit. Whoever thought you'd say THAT about a wrestling faction? :)I can see what you mean. I was going to point out the Rottweilers, but they're less 'entertaining' and more 'fucking dangerous'. The recent ongoing angle of Homicide REPEATEDLY murdering Colt Cabana is just brutal, brutal stuff. You'd think it'd kill his career, but he seems to be just getting stronger from it. Should we call him Tommy Dreamer II and get it over and done with?

It took me a while to get into the feud, I must admit. The coat hanger/Scissors/Draino stuff left me cold...But when they moved on to Homicide just fucking brutalising him, it got really interesting. If I ever catch up, I should see the blow off match soon, which is apparently awesome.I really miss the old Rotweilers. When you had a stable of Homicide, Low Ki (Who was so much better as a lazy heel) Ricky Reyes and the awesome Rocky Romero on every show, they really looked unbeatable.

They should try getting a ring similar to PWG's which is loud as hell and doesn't look like something you'd have at a kids birthday party.

[cheapshot]...Despite it being full of clowns[/cheapshot] Edited by Leicester Lantern

[cheapshot]...Despite it being full of clowns[/cheapshot]

I'd take those fun clowns with personality over ROHs mannequins any day of the fucking week.
Sense of humour, mate? I sometimes wish I could have blind obedience to a fed again, it'd be nice to be so passionate.

• Paid Members

Don't worry, I wasn't being serious.Though I do think alot of ROH wrestlers lack interesting personalities(hence me not being a regular follower and rather the odd DVD buyer) but then that's just my view.

Edited by LaGoosh

Don't worry, I wasn't being serious.Though I do think alot of ROH wrestlers lack interesting personalities but then that's just my view.

I think there's bigger problems with the fed...For example, you'd have to find Sal Rinuaro, Jason Blade, Kid Mikaze, The Crist Brothers etc. a lot of things to make them credible wrestlers before you even started on personalities. At least the ECW reunion has saved me from reviewing any more Tony Mameluke matches.