Official ROH Discussion Thread

alexander

• Paid Members

Some highlights from today's newswire...

Click to Show/Hide

June 7th: ROH officials had a long discussion with Homicide. ROH officials have promised Homicide an open contract for any match he wants on 6/17 in Manhattan. Homicide said he will return to New York City because it is his hometown and his people. Homicide will still wrestle Claudio Castagnoli on 6/23 in Detroit. In exchange, Homicide will receive a title shot in Chicago on 6/24. Since Colt Cabana is already scheduled to go after the World Title in Chicago, Homicide will receive a shot at Nigel McGuiness for the Pure Title on 6/24. Can Homicide finally win his first ever ROH Title? You can now get tickets for all three of these shows for 20% off at ROHwrestling.com. This includes both ringside and general admission tickets. Save ticket money and use it as gas money for these big events. Act now because the sale ends tonight at 10pm.

June 7th: Samoa Joe, Adam Pearce, BJ Whitmer & Ace Steel are calling out CZW for July 15th in Philadelphia. We want a CZW team in STEEL CAGE WARFARE when ROH returns to Philly. Are you going to answer the challenge CZW? We dare you to give us an answer this Saturday when you return to Philadelphia for a "Strictly CZW" show. We want the fans to go to this show so you will be forced to give us an answer. Go to CZWrestling.com for all the info on this Saturday's CZW event. Tickets for 7/15 in Philly are also part of the 20% off sale now at ROHwrestling.com.

June 7th: We have another big match to announce for 6/17 in Manhattan when ROH returns to the New Yorker in Manhattan. It will be a rematch from last Saturday as Jimmy Rave will face Davey Richards. Rave states that he is a ROH veteran and he is not going to let a newcomer like Richards make his name at Rave's expense. Rave has challenged for a rematch and Richards has accepted. Can Richards make it two in a row against an established ROH star like Rave? Save 20% on tickets for this and many other ROH events until 10pm tonight at ROHwrestling.com.

June 7th: The new ROH Video Recap should be up later today at ROHvideos.com. It features big World Title news, a challenge for a wrestler to return to ROH plus lots of highlights from last Saturday's event in East Windsor, CT and more!!!

June 7th: The praise continues to come in for the seven show Milestone Series. Here is what Mike Johnson had to say the other day at PWInsider.com: "I had the chance over the weekend to watch some of Ring of Honor's answer to the old NWA Great American Bash tour, "The Milestone Series", made up of events in Philadelphia, New York, Detroit, and Chicago, and if there was ever a perfect opportunity to jump on board with following the product, this is it....there are dozens of highlights on the DVDs, including the promotion's ECW Arena debut, the phenomenal build of the ROH vs. CZW feud, Bryan Danielson & Samoa Joe vs. KENTA & Naomichi Marufuji tearing down the house in New York City, awesome old school promos from Jim Cornette, The Briscoe Brothers fulfilling their destiny as one of the best tag teams of this decade, Samoa Joe continuing to make his mark in the business, Roderick Strong performing with all of his potential in a tremendous match with Danielson that goes almost an hour, Jimmy Rave's continued excellence as the undercard heel that fans torment by throwing toilet paper at him in disgust, the emergence of Jimmy Jacobs as the annoying emo kid with one great ring entrance, BJ Whitmer finally finding his niche as the company's defender against CZW, amazing brawls involving Necro Butcher, Chris Hero, Samoa Joe, and Adam Pearce, among others, a six man tag from Philadelphia that was as good as anything ECW ever promoted during their height, Bryan Danielson laying down the exclamation point that he is the best in-ring technician who has come along in years, and much more. "

Guest rmdstyles

I'm planning on picking up some recent ROH shows whilst their sale is on. I know the Milstone series is the best place to start but which of those shows would you reccomend to someone who doesen't follow the ROH product religiously but keeps up to date with the product and is mainly interested in watching decent wrestling matches which are different (and if posible better) to those in WWE?

• Paid Members

I'd strongly recommend you purchasing Dragon Gate Challenge, Supercard of Honor and Better Than Our Best; the three shows that took place during WrestleMania week.The first two shows are both excellent and feature a bunch of matches which are both different and better than anything that occurred at WrestleMania. As you can see from my sig, the hottest match was the Dragon Gate six-man, which long-time wrestling writer Bruce Mitchell described as the greatest match he'd ever seen. Meltzer, Alvarez and Mike Johnson have also been waxing lyrical over it, and for good reason. It's impossibly good and probably in my top five matches of all time.I haven't seen Better Than Our Best yet though Gabe Sapolsky's been telling everyone that it's the best ROH show ever, in his considered opinion. Between those three, you'll get a flavour for ROH, its workers, feuds and in-ring quality. You won't go far wrong.

I'd strongly recommend you purchasing Dragon Gate Challenge, Supercard of Honor and Better Than Our Best; the three shows that took place during WrestleMania week.The first two shows are both excellent and feature a bunch of matches which are both different and better than anything that occurred at WrestleMania. As you can see from my sig, the hottest match was the Dragon Gate six-man, which long-time wrestling writer Bruce Mitchell described as the greatest match he'd ever seen. Meltzer, Alvarez and Mike Johnson have also been waxing lyrical over it, and for good reason. It's impossibly good and probably in my top five matches of all time.I haven't seen Better Than Our Best yet though Gabe Sapolsky's been telling everyone that it's the best ROH show ever, in his considered opinion. Between those three, you'll get a flavour for ROH, its workers, feuds and in-ring quality. You won't go far wrong.

While we're here there's something I've always meant to ask you. How do you view NOAH shows so quickly? I've noticed you have the Suguira Vs Kenta match from last weekend rated. I have a source in Japan but even then, it's at least 2 weeks before I receive the shows.

• Paid Members

While we're here there's something I've always meant to ask you. How do you view NOAH shows so quickly? I've noticed you have the Suguira Vs Kenta match from last weekend rated. I have a source in Japan but even then, it's at least 2 weeks before I receive the shows.
NOAH's internet TV service usually upload matches from TV tapings within five days of them occurring. Nowadays, that service is usually trumped by individuals posting these matches on Far-Eastern message boards within a day or two of them taking place, only for people to then post them on western-based message boards.It was available at the F4W message board only two days after the match happened. When I was your age, I likely would've had to wait six months before a tape of such a show would've made it to our shores. Which means a) I'm getting old and b) wrestling fans have never had it so good. :)

Hi All

I've been desperatly trying to catch up on Ring of Honour shows recently so I thought I put up a few of my thoughts of some 2005 shows for those of us who aren't quite so up to date. I'm planning to cut my losses and order the milestone series soon (Although I hate the names of the shows) and get bang up to date. I'm sick of being an ROH neatherthal. I still plan the plod through 2005 by picking up the shows when I can:

This is the first time in a while I've watched ROH shows in sequence and I must admit its a lot more fun than just dipping in or out of shows that catch the eye. The only problem with this is that it's sucoming to the ROH propaganda machine that brain washes you to buy every show. The other advantage of being this far behind is that there are fewer spoilers to give away the suprises.

Right so...

Manhattan Mayhem

A really good show from top to bottom really. I wasn't nuts on the Special K tag team match which considering it had loser must split stips was pretty uneventful, even after the match.

Colt vs McGuiness was really fun, the low blow finish was beautifully executed and really brought some intrigue to the start of the fued.

Can't really talk about show without mentioning the sick finish to the impromptu main event...

Final Showdown

I really enjoyed Shelley vs Strong. An early sequence where both wrestlers displayed their familiarity with the others offence really stands out in my memory of this.

I'm not sure how everyone feels about Ebetaroh/Ebessan but the four way made me sob with laughter. Some of the Delirious/Ebetaroh exchanges were great.

I guess the bit talking point of this show woulod be the finish Homicide/Danielson best of 7 series. I'm pretty sure the finish to the match caused a split in opinion. My feeling was that the match finish would have been fine for a one off match but didnt seem to give a really satisfying climax to the huge series. Other than that it was a fun match with some nice references to the previous matches.

Nowhere to Run

I really enjoed Homicide vs Williams. As far as I know this was the first time they'd have a match together and they seemed to click well. The Cabana McGuiness match seemed like more of the same until the fued took a more violent direction. I'm really enjoing this angle so far. Aries vs Danielson was pretty strong too. Aries had strung together some pretty impressive run of defences together by this point. I really think he needed to defend against a really credible challenger earlier in his reign, I'm not sure Cabana was really the opponent to establish him as champion. The Punk vs Rave blow off was a great example of why its better to watch these shows with continuity instead of just picked at random. The back history to this fued is really what made this a dramatic main event. I dont think the match would have any where near the same impact without in isolation. Punk's victory gave the show a fun 'going home happy' feel that's quite rare in the indies.

Next show is New Frontiers. Having just gone on about how much I've enjoyed watching the shows in sequence i'm thinking of giving this one a miss. Money is short and the card doesn't leap out at me. Anyone have any thoughts?

• Paid Members

New Frontiers was pretty bad by 2005 ROH standards, in fact all the shows in the Buffalo area were below average for me (the others being Dragon Gate Invasion and Buffalo Stampede). Got my order of 'Best in the World' - 'The 100th show' today, so hopefully I'll have some thoughts starting perhaps sunday.Oh, and there's a 20% off everything sale at ROHwrestling.com right now.

• Paid Members

I got the 100th show today and have only watched the CZW segments so far.The Cornette/Zandig debate is an embarassment on both mens parts. Zandig is terrible on the mic so has no business even being there and Cornette is shit beyond belief as he makes nothing close to a real argument or debate and just rambles on about all the people he's worked with putting himself over and making really unfunny and immature gay jokes which should be above someone as good on the mic as Cornette. He's definitely lost alot of points in my book because of this.The 6 man main event is an awesome violent brawl and the crowd heat made it a great atmosphere. My only criticisms would be that there was no footage of Super Dragon getting into fights with fans. The sight of the bloody and battered CZW guys celebrating with the CZW fans section was fantastic.