Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

Former welterweight champion Antonio Margarito was approved to fight in Texas on Thursday, which clears the way for a potentially lucrative fight against pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao at the opulent Cowboys Stadium in November.

The Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation received an application from Margarito on Monday and decided Thursday to grant his request. The decision came after Margarito was denied an application to fight in California and had another application tabled in Nevada.

Margarito is expected to face Pacquiao for a vacant junior middleweight title on Nov. 13.

So, Margarito comes off a ban for cheating and walks right into a lucrative fight for a title with Pacquiao? :confused:

Edited by David

Not entirely. Margarito has already fought since then against Roberto Garcia and he was asked if the Pacman/Mayweather fight fell through, would he be interested in fighting Pacquaio and, obviously, he would. I am not saying the Margarito camp didn't cheat in the Cotto fight (I am still not convinced Margarito knew, everything points to the trainer and the enquiry in to it came out the same) but he served his time from his ban and now Pacquaio will KHTFO! Simples.

• Paid Members

Juan Manuel Marquez is fighting Michael Katsidis on November 27th in Vegas

"So now we are going to try to put together the deal for Marquez and Katsidis. Hell of a fight. Toe to toe. Mano a mano," Schaefer said. "This is a great fight. I'm excited for the fighters and the fans as well. This is going to be non-stop action. Pound for pound, these are two of the most exciting fighters in boxing."

There was talk of Marquez vs Amir Khan but Marquez has decided to stay at 135 and defend his title there.And Khan is now rumoured to be fighting Marcos Maidana.

Can't wait for Marquez-Katsidis,that's gonna be nuts.

• Paid Members

anyone a reader of boxing books here? it's something i obviously interested (as well as MMA books) in but i haven't read as many as i'd have liked, anyway's ive read these autobiographies:

Ricky Hatton, Frank Bruno, Joe Calzaghe and i've recently finished Evander Holyfield's which was a great read, a bit preachy on his religious beliefs but the stuff about the fights and that backstage peek is pretty fascinating.

8076809x.jpg

Next on my list is Teddy Atlas' book which i picked up last week, ive also got a few books about boxing in general including a book about boxing at Madison Square Garden which i need to read.

any recommendations?

Ricky Burns, who lives 20 minutes from me, will be fighting this weekend on Sky Sports for the WBO Super-featherweight title.

The fight will be screened live from the Kelvin Hall in Glasgow.

Ricky Burns is relying on fear to inspire him to become the first Scot since Scott Harrison, in 2002, to win a world title on home soil.

The Coatbridge super-featherweight will fight WBO champion Roman Martinez in Glasgow's Kelvin Hall on 4 September.

"Roman is giving me that fear factor and that is going to give me the edge in this fight," said Burns ahead of his title bout with the Puerto Rican.

"When I know I am up against it, that's when I am at my best."

Martinez, for his part, with a record of 24 wins in 25 fights and one draw, is unfazed at the prospect of fighting in Scotland.

"I have seen Ricky's videos and I have seen that he is a great fighter," said the 27-year-old, who is a few months older than his Lanarkshire challenger.

"But there is no problem in going over there. I have been doing the work in the gym and I am ready to come back with the title.

"It has been a great training camp so far and I think I will win by a knockout. I plan to place my punches well, to wear him down with body shots."

But Burns, who has endured months of contractual wrangling between promoter Frank Warren and the champion's camp, is equally confident of winning.

He intends to emulate Harrison's feat of winning the WBO featherweight title when he defeated Julio Pablo Chacon in Glasgow eight years ago.

"I am aiming to be the next Scottish world champion since Scott Harrison. It is going to be a good, hard fight," said Burns, whose record stands at 28 wins and two defeats in his 30 professional bouts.

"I have been studying Roman's last few fights and people are going to see fireworks in this one.

"He is a good boxer, he is a big puncher, but I have proved I can take a shot and I can also dish it out as well.

"I admit that I am stepping up in class, but the better the opponents I have been in against, the better I have boxed. I am going to be giving it 110%."

The bout at the Kelvin Hall will revive memories of Jim Watt's fight against Alfredo Pitalua at the venue 31 years ago.

Watt stopped Pitalua in the 12th round in 1979 to win the world lightweight title in front of a noisy home support.

Burns was not born when Watt was serenading his raucous fans with a rendition of Flower of Scotland, but nevertheless hopes the atmosphere will help him.

"I have always got a great crowd in Scotland that comes out to support me," he said.

"I am really looking forward to walking out into that ring. It's going to be awesome.

"I have been thinking about the added pressure, about fighting in front of my own fans, but that is just going to spur me on.

"The preparations have been excellent, with lots of hard sparring. The weight is spot-on. Over the next five weeks I'll train with guys at heavier weights."

One of Burns' key sparring partners is Commonwealth featherweight champion John Simpson, who will put his title on the line against Liverpool's Stephen Smith on the undercard.

"We have just done eight rounds of sparring," said Burns of his friend from Greenock.

"My trainer is always saying that we could charge people to watch our sparring sessions. The pace that we are doing in sparring is the pace I will take into this fight."

Scot Ricky Burns got off the canvas to shock Roman Martinez and to win the WBO super-featherweight title in Glasgow.

The loss was the first for Martinez, who put the home boxer on the floor in the opening round.

However Burns dug in and attacked, taking some big shots himself as the Puerto Rican went all out for a knockout.

In the fifth Martinez was rocked by a right hand; two rounds later it was Burns's turn to wobble following a left hook.

The back-and-forth desperate nature of the entertaining contest continued until the end, with the Scot on top in the final round to ensure the judges saw the fight in his favour.

The scores were unanimous: 115-112, 115-112 and 115-113.

"It was a clean shot (in the first round), I'll give him that," Burns told Sky. "Throughout the fight he did catch us a few times, but, as I said before, I do have a good chin and I took them well.

"I had to grit my teeth every round there and I'm just overwhelmed.

"I couldn't ask for a better camp behind me, the build up to this fight all I could think about was winning this world title, and now it's here I don't know what to say."

The atmosphere in the Kelvin Hall was fantastic.

Great to see Burns bringing another world title to Scotland.

What a performance by Burns last night. After the first round I feared for him but as the fight went on he just looked a class apart. Still really excited about the September 18th card. By far, match for match, the best domestic card I have seen ever. Macklin Vs Barker has the potential to be a classic!

James DeGale vs Carl Dilks

Don Broadhurst vs TBA

Frankie Gavin vs Michael Kelly (IRISH LIGHT WELTERWEIGHT TITLE)

Enzo Maccarinelli vs Alexander Frenkel (EUROPEAN CRUISERWEIGHT TITLE )

Matthew Macklin vs Darren Barker (THE BRITISH AND EUROPEAN MIDDLEWEIGHT TITLE )

Ryan Rhodes vs Lukas Konecny (EUROPEAN LIGHT MIDDLEWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP)

Kell Brook vs Michael Jennings (ELIMINATOR FOR THE WBO WELTERWEIGHT TITLE)

Derek Chisora vs Sam Sexton (BRITISH & COMMONWEALTH HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE)

Nathan Cleverly vs Karo Murat (ELIMINATOR FOR THE WBO LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE)

cb5dc5af31.jpg

Balls! The card has had to change due to injuries. Matthew Hall comes in to replace Ryan Rhodes as he pulled out with a back injury so now the fight is for the vacant title. The big kicker for me though is Darren Barker is out with a hip injury and he has been replaced with Shalva Jomardashvili who is, in a word, crap.

Edited by rubbafish

• Paid Members

Yeah I'm really looking forward to that on the 18th.Cracking bunch of fights there.Shame about the Macklin-Barker fight though.

And just incase people have missed the news,Sky Sports is bringing back the boxing magazine show Ringside this Thursday from 9pm on SS1.It will be an hour show every Thursday from this week.

Nice.I used to love the Steve Bunce Boxing Hour on Setanta so I'm happy about this.

Edited by wandshogun09

David Haye is making lots of strange decisions. Beckenham, the town in which I grew up in and still live, was home to Nigel Benn for a while and David Haye has moved into the rich end of town, moving into a relatively normal street and sticking up massive walls and security. Bizarre considering he could have had something more private five miles away in Chislehurst, the area Dizzee Rascal now calls home.

• Paid Members

hmmmmn, im considering going to Haye/Harrison, it falls in my week off. I'll see what kind of ticket prices are released. I agree with Bellend in that it's an odd fight to make and serves only really to offer Haye a big chunk of money with an easier fight than what he's been promising, but i still might go.

Question about the Maginificent 7 card...anyone know what kind of time that's gonna start? gonna be a long night.

Frank Warren has accused David Haye of ducking the Klitschko brothers.

WBA heavyweight title holder Haye is expected to announce domestic rival Audley Harrison as the opponent for his second title defence on Tuesday.

It was hoped the 29-year-old from Bermondsey would fight either Vitali or Wladimir Klitschko but negotiations with his fellow world champions have stalled.

Instead, Haye has opted for Olympic gold medalist Harrison in a fight Warren claims is motivated only by financial reward.

'Haye's taken the easy option by fighting Harrison for the pay day and it's not what he said he was going to do,' said the promoter.

'Without a doubt he's avoiding the Klitschkos. He signed a contract to fight one of them and didn't carry it through, then pulled out against the other one.

'The reason he's not fighting one of them is because he wouldn't do a straight 50-50 split. Haye said he would fight them both. It's no good saying you'll do these things and then don't because you're looking to cash in.

'I look at Haye and I ask why does he only fight twice a year? He should be making money and not being inactive.'

Warren, speaking ahead of his 'Magnificent Seven' bill in Birmingham on September 18, believes Haye's vulnerability gives Harrison a shot at victory.

'Monte Barrett wobbled Haye and then I fell asleep during the Nikolai Valuev fight,' said Warren. 'If he gets hit on the chin then Haye will be knocked out and Harrison has that chance.

'Haye is streets above Harrison but he has a huge weakness - if he gets hit on the whiskers he'll go.'

Derek Chisora and Same Sexton meet for the British and Commonwealth heavyweight titles at the LG Arena and Warren believes either of them would welcome a clash with Haye.

'If Harrison can get a crack at the world title, it won't be a problem for me to deliver a shot to the winner of this fight,' he said.

'Both of these fighters are better than Harrison. Look at where they are after 13 fights and look at what Harrison had done at the same stage.

'These two are decent heavyweights and can make their mark on the world scene. Even the loser could still pull through.

'Either of these guys would fight the Klitschkos, they won't duck anyone. They're fighters.'

I can sort of see Warren's point, even if he's laying it on a bit thick.

The truth is, Haye made a bit of a tit of himself by making a big deal of challenging the Klitschko brothers, then quickly pulling out.

The fight with Harrison will be a non-event really, with a section of fans in the UK being the only people who care.

It won't do his stock in the US any good, and if he loses he'll be fucked big time.