Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

ut either Eddie's a brilliant liar or he's the one telling the truth because hearing Eddie talk always seems to make sense of the whole thing.

Agreed. 

If the "BT Sport" clause part of Eddie's story is accurate, then I am inclined to believe that Wilder's team was hustling him. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, he's undone a big chunk of the other side's argument as well with the 'you can't make the fight without a date and venue' thing, only for Warren to do just that with the Fury vs Wilder and Frampton vs Warrington fights. 'IT'S ON!' But there's no date and no venue, still, even though it's nearly 2 weeks later and Warren said there'd be an announcement within that week. Now Warren's on a milk carton because he promised something he didn't have finalised. Why was Frank even getting involved in the Joshua vs Wilder negotiations anyway? The whole thing is bizarre.

Another thing is that Hearn gives lots of details when he's telling his version of events. And when you listen to what he's saying, it makes sense, unless you're just looking for reasons to say he's full of shite/AJ is trembling with fear or whatever. The things he's saying are logical. I'd started to have my doubts about Hearn's story when it looked like this Wilder vs Fury thing was happening but now I'm thinking it was all a load of bollocks from the off and nothing more than a publicity stunt. 

And consistently throughout this whole game of cat and mouse, Hearn has continued to publicly say that the offer is still on the table for AJ vs Wilder. He's said loads of times that he's open to talking about the terms they want changing. What are Wilder's side actively doing to get the fight made? I haven't even heard them address Hearn's comments that the offer is still there to make the fight. 

And I say all this as someone who finds Hearn a bit of a smarmy twat. I don't really want to believe him but it's the only side that's making any sense to me at the moment. 

The thing what annoys me about Hearn, is he tried to sign Fury to sacrifice him to Bellew. He wanted Fury to have one warm up then fight Bellew knowing he wouldnt be ready. Where as now he has had 2 fights he is saying he looks terrible and shouldnt be fighting Wilder, yet its ok for him to fight Bellew after one fight. I still believe AJ camp do not want the fight yet.  Theres an interview with Barry Hearn on there as well saying they should do it two years down the line. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, but Hearn wasnt to know that prior to signing Fury was he? In the video he says that Fury's plan was to have 7 fights before fighting AJ against poor opponents, thats why he didnt sign him. 

• Paid Members

Well, he's a promoter and he's trying to make money for his fighters (and himself), you cant blame him for trying to set it up, especially when you have someone like Fury who was making some bold claims on social media. Im fairly certain Eddie Hearn would have let Fury take a fight or two before Bellew, he just didnt want to allow Fury to take a bunch of one one sided fights before doing so.

• Paid Members
On 8/29/2018 at 1:46 PM, Egg Shen said:

Eddie's talking about the schedule run just drums that home though, it's gonna be an insane couple of months, and that's just his shows!

I was having this exact conversation with a mate at the weekend. Including MMA & GLORY, it's one of the most incredible run of big, exciting fights I can remember.

It's easy to forget a lot of them because it seems every two weeks something exciting is on.

• Paid Members

How's the Joshua vs Povetkin undercard shaping up? I know Luke Campbell is rematching Yvan Mendy and Lawrence Okolie vs Matty Askin is on there. Anyone heard anything else? Guessing Conor Benn will probably end up on there. 

• Paid Members

Thats pretty much it as far as announcements. There wont be much more on there now other than a few squash matches with it only being 3 weeks out. Probably a case of Matchroom being spread a little thin with the huge schedule and knowing that AJ sells the thing on his own.

• Paid Members

Attendance is down a little. Sold 60,000 last i heard. Think thats little to do with the card though and more that people are bit fed up with the Wilder situation. Id imagine a lot of people who want to go see Joshua are hanging on until April because they've been told that thats when he gets Wilder or a rematch with with Whyte.

• Paid Members

I've seen rumours of Josh Kelly vs Brandon Rios for fhe undercard but that was just on Twitter and could well be bollocks. 

Also saw a few tweets about a David Price vs Sergey Kuzmin fight being in the works as well. Kuzmin is unbeaten at 12-0-1 and stopped Joe Joyce in a round in the amateurs. 

So potential/rumoured card at the moment is looking like;

Anthony Joshua vs Alexander Povetkin 

Luke Campbell vs Yvan Mendy 2

Lawrence Okolie vs Matty Askin

Josh Kelly vs Brandon Rios

David Price vs Sergey Kuzmin

Nowhere near as good as the Whyte vs Parker card in July, they're relying solely on AJ to carry this one but it should be a decent night's viewing. Probably too late to get a Conor Benn fight added now though. Show's less than 3 weeks away.