Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Yeh the good thing about IFL is that people are themselves when they are interviewed by them. There's a difference between the Hearn that gets interviewed on Sky and the Hearn that appears on IFL.

They release content nearly every day, it's brilliant to follow.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Yeah I love IFL. Someone on here (I think it was Jim actually) said before that Kugan Cassius is boxing's version of Ariel Helwani and I think that's spot on. That's the way to go now for combat sports interviews, a more relaxed and informal interview style and it generally makes for a more entertaining interview because the fighter/promoter or whoever is more open in that relaxed setting. No need to do the Michael Parkinson bit in 2016.

I don't like Eddie Hearn though. Can't put my finger on it but he's always had something about him to be where I can't take to him. But I'll never have to have him round for Sunday dinner so what's it matter? I was the same with his dad now I think of it. Never been a fan of the Hearns. But like Jim says, preferable to Frank Warren. But saying that, maggots are preferable to Fish Eyes Frank.

Come to think of it, there's not many fight promoters throughout history I actually find likeable. Don King, Bob Arum, Frank Warren, Barry and Eddie Hearn, Lou DeBella, Frank Maloney, Bjorn Rebney, Gary Shaw...all either slimy twats or pure cunts. It's bad when of that lot, King has the most charm and he's murdered people and robbed pretty much every fighter he ever dealt with. Dana White has his cunty side as well, although I find him more likeable than the above. I think Oscar De La Hoya, Scott Coker and Invicta's Shannon Knapp are about the only ones who spring to mind as pretty sound, likeable and reasonable people.

• Paid Members

i have to disagree, Hearn always comes off great for me. Funny, down to earth, self deprecating and i genuinely believe he has his boxers best interests at heart. I've got time for Eddie. Each to their own though.

Bit of boxing live on Channel 5 tonight for anyone who didn't know.

• Paid Members

It's based on nothing with the Hearns, to be fair. It's not like Eddie's actually done anything really. I freely admit it's a bit of an irrational dislike. I don't know what it is. He's far from the worst of the names I listed, I just can't warm to him.

Add Barry McGuigan to the list of fight promoters you wouldn't trust with small children and animals.

• Paid Members

McGuigan is a lovely guy. I was working at the boxing last night and delighted to see Josh Taylor winning in commanding fashion. Grabbed a quick chat with Carl Frampton as well. A good - if late - night by the time I was finished.

I was at the show, was a good night. Was impressed with Taylor

He certainly looks the business. I was there for his second fight against Adam Mate and he blew him away. We were wondering how good he was vs the guys he was in there with were not great. I think it is more towards he is good. You can look and say Ryan had not fought in more than a year but by the same token he had held the title before and had only been stopped once in his career.

Not a good night for Team GB alumni. Anthony Ogogo got humiliated by regional champion Craig Cunningham who usually campaigns at a division below. Cunningham only has 3 stoppages to his name but caught Ogogo in the 2nd round and then dropped him. Ogogo's mouth was already wide open and he fought like he was in quicksand. Lunging forward, trying to connect but missing wildly. Cunningham, the southpaw couldn't miss with his left jab which Ogogo never timed. In the middle of the 8th round, the referee took Ogogo back to his corner to cut off some loose tape. Ogogo said something to his trainer Tony Simms who conversed with the referee and the fight was stopped. Ogogo already had a British title eliminator fight lined up but that's gone up in smoke. Cunningham was Ogogo's toughest opponent and he couldn't deal with him. Ogogo has blamed blurred vision for the reason for quitting. He doesn't look like he has the heart for the pro-game, stick to a reality show or a Subway advert before you get hurt. Gary O'Sullivan was ringside. Remember him, big mouth and then got bashed up by Eubank Jr. He's been stalking Ogogo on social media looking for a fight. If that did happen, I doubt there would be much left of Ogogo.

Frankie Gavin vs. Sam Eggington was the main event. Gavin back to his usual self of no diet plan or dedication, failed two weight checks leading up to the fight. If he weighed less than 149lbs (welterweight limit is 147lbs) the fight would be called off because they thought Gavin would be too dehydrated to fight. Eggington put the pressure on, leaving Gavin with not much room to box and move. Eggington dropped Gavin with a left, right combo in the third round. The sixth round was an energetic affair, Gavin being pinned to the ropes and Eggington was unloading. A body shot hurt Gavin who again retreated back to the ropes and the referee gave a standing 8 count. Towards the end of the round, Eggington seemed to have frozen. Gavin hit him with an unprotected right, left, uppercut combo but Eggington kept coming forward. Gavin's stamina had wilted by this point, probably due to the weight problems and there was no snap in the shots. The end came in the 8th round, Gavin backed up to the ropes from another Eggington onslaught, then he retreated to the corner to be peppered with more flurries. The only place for Gavin now was the canvas and the referee stopped the fight.

• Paid Members

I could've gone to the show. A few mates got tickets a while back and one dropped out last minute. I could've gone for free and chose not to because Gavin usually bores me shitless. I kind of wish I had gone now.

It was a really good fight, non-stop and some twists and turns and a stoppage. Chuffed Eggington won as well. Gavin's got a rep round here for being somewhat of a cunt and I've heard that from various people who's word I'd trust so that's good enough for me. I was happy to see him get stopped, to be honest. That and I like Eggington so it was a win all-round.

Edited by wandshogun09

I've always been indifferent to Gavin.

However, his "funtime" moniker doesn't really suit him. Not only due to his ring style, but he seems about as fun as an evening with GAD, BJS, and Frank Warren. He barely even smiles. I'd like to think the moniker is meant in irony, but I haven't read anything to suggest that. 

The Eggerton fight was excellent though. I was on the fence whether to watch it or not. Glad I did in the end.

• Paid Members

Yeh, it was easily the best fight of Gavin's career. Im glad i hung on till last night to watch it, i nearly checked the results cause i had a bet on but i waited. Seemed Gavin decided to get aggressive after round 3 and despite getting stopped it was the best he's ever looked. Eggington is a bit of a machine though, he said it himself afterwards thats he wants to get paired up with people who will stand and trade and i'm all for that. Sometimes it takes a certain performance from someone to get you on board with them, Eggington did that for me Saturday.

As for Ogogo, that was just weird. There'a never no guarantee that Olympic stars with cross over well into the pro's but you'd expect Ogogo to breeze through Saturday's test. He no doubt took Cunningham lightly, but his failure to show a certain grit and inablity to adapt tells me he probably doesn't have what it takes.

Wasn't expexting much on paper but it was a good little show. Oh, and i won 50 quid with Eggington winning.

Anyone see the Jamie Cox fight on Boxnation? Apparently it was a wild, foul-filled brawl.

Bit of a throwback fight last night in Puerto Rico. Juan Manuel Lopez & Wilfredo Vasquez Jr who are both former world champions squared off. Both past their best but JuanMa still has a bit of power left in him. He stopped Vasquez in round 11 who looked to be wilting. Then JuanMa goes over to the opposing corner and starts trading blows with Vasquez's trainer.