Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

The Wilder fight was interesting to watch. The Polish chap put up a great fight. Very tentative for the first few rounds but business picked up around round 5. A stunning KO by Wilder in round 9. Wilder looked uncoordinated at points throughout the fight.

Big Tyson confronted Wilder in the post match interview, was hilarious. They had a bit of a WWE pull a part with Tyson eventually being ejected from the building (they didnt show this though, unfortunately). Say what you want about Fury but he's the best thing in Boxing right now for entertainment.

• Paid Members

Yeah, Haye didn't get a great deal out of that fight. It was more just a reintroduction to the public for him after so long away. I guess it was purely to give him a highlight reel KO to return on and say 'I'm back', even though really it didn't prove anything or tell us anything new.

Plus, in fairness to Haye, although he knew De Mori was a tune up, he wasn't to know that De Mori was going to go into his shell and turtle up that easily and quickly. Like someone else said, Haye was in a bit of a no-win situation here. If De Mori had dragged him to a decision people would be questioning Haye. Even if Haye scored the same knockout but it took him 5/6 rounds he'd be getting criticised. But he smashes through him like he's supposed to and people say it's a joke.

I get the criticisms. And they're not even wrong. But really, what were people expecting from a guy coming back off three years out against someone we've never heard of? It was never meant to be a proper fight really. It was solely there to advertise that Haye is back, dangerous and you're probably going to have to pay for his next fight.

As for Haye vs Joshua - I'm not sure on that but I could definitely see Haye catching him. If Whyte can wobble Joshua why can't Haye? I think Haye's a bit faster than Whyte as well. I think the whole reason Haye wants the Joshua fight now is because he wants to catch AJ before he gets any better. The longer Haye waits the less chance he has against Joshua IMO. Right now, say the fight happens this year, I would give Haye a very good chance of beating Joshua.

did anyone else find the post fight interview between Haye and Paul Dempsey awkward as fuck?

Yeah, Dempsey didn't let Haye have it easy..

In regards to Wilder: I'm still not sold. I think Haye, Fury and Povertkin would beat him convincingly. Give it another year or so, and I think Joshua could do a job on him as well.

• Paid Members

The Haye post-fight interview was a bit weird, yeah. Dempsey basically asking Haye if he'd spunked all his career earnings away and if he was just back for money. None of his business really, is it? I know what he was getting at, trying to find out Haye's motivation to return, but it was a bit of a weird/twatty way to put it. What's it to anyone else whether Haye has burned through his dough or not? That's his business.

BJ Flores looked awkward as fuck when him and Dempsey were doing their ringside waffle bits. He was fine when he was talking but when Dempsey was talking Flores looked like he didn't know where to put himself or how to stand or anything. He just kept doing this really camp sideways look into the camera and pouting like a teenage girl taking a selfie. We had people over last night so we couldn't really hear the telly when it was on, which made Flores' awkward pouting and squinting look even weirder. I didn't even really notice it until my wife started laughing and asking what the fuck he was doing.

BJ Flores looked awkward as fuck when him and Dempsey were doing their ringside waffle bits. 

It also looked like he had shoe-polish on his head.

Elliot Worsell who penned the excellent "Making Haye" book, published a long article about Haye yesterday. It's a really good read.

- http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/david-haye-stubborn-kind-of-fellow/

• Paid Members

I wish this was a gif so it could fully capture the awkwardness of Flores last night. You need to see him in motion really to appreciate it but this'll have to do for now...

iZlvP.jpg

He's a sassy one, alright.

Mwah x

Wilder is crap and he will never get better because he relies on his power. He was so lucky Szpilka recklessly ran into him so he could flatten him and that was on the advice of his trainer. The round previous, Wilder was swinging wildly and fell over himself. He just has no skill, instead of bobbing out of the way of a punch, he jumps backwards so he's out of range. He doesn't understand, finding the range of a jab which is an effective weapon and instead swings recklessly looking for a big hook.

• Paid Members

Wilder once again is unconvincing but his power saw him through, just a sickening KO shot. No heavyweight in the world wants to walk into that shit. It was a decent scrap but was helped on by a rabid Polish crowd, they were loving it.

deontay-wilder-artur-szpilka_3401245.jpg

Szpilka posted this online after the fight:

12509564_1130873326924751_74628402506124

Interesting night for the division, two of the big names scored huge KO's the momentum continues to build. Tyson Fury made an absolute berk of himself post-fight once again but it's par for the course nowadays. Deontay Wilder's flaws are obvious but he continues to knock people out and that's what people want to see, in this day and age of short facebook clips, vines etc. a KO punch can mean a lot, social media eats that shit up.

Edited by Ebb

• Paid Members

...ohhh, let's not forget 'Prince' Charles Martin who won the vacant IBF title last night in the most underwhelming of circumstances. The whole division must be licking their chops to have a crack at Martin, can't be many easier roads to a World Title than that. Even Del Boy Chisora showed up post fight to call out The Prince.

charles-martin-ibf_3401246.jpg?201601170

The Champ is Here!