Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

The fight showed AJ isn't ready for a guy like Haye, hopefully this can slow the hype down a little bit.

I couldn't stand that loads of people think Joshua is the best in the world already. Some of my friends genuinely wouldn't give Fury a chance of goin past 3 rounds with him.

if Haye comes back in the same kind of form he was when he first went to heavyweight i see him flatlining AJ on last nights performance.

...and yeh, it's the people riding the AJ hype train that started to make me resent the guy a little, feel quite bad saying that because he's a great talent and he's injected life into the division, but i've heard people claim he's one of the best ever and think he's easily the best heavyweight on the planet already. I love a bit of hype but some of the chat is crazy considering that until last night i don't think anyone had even thrown a punch back at him. Last night was the perfect result, it gave the hype guys the finish they wanted and fuels that fire but it planted them little seeds of doubt that proved that AJ isn't at that level yet, he may get there but he's still very much a work in progress.

Looked decent when he got going but for a while I was sat there watching thinking he didn't really have a clue what to do, when White through some punches it was almost like "Fuck, no one's done this before, this isn't in the plan, what'd do I do?" fine against lesser opponents as people have stated. But a proper top class opponent would have taken advantage of that and capitalised.

• Paid Members

With regards to Wand commending Spike's corner pulling him out...Spike was a punching bag at that point, smart move. The abuse aimed at O'Sullivan on twitter afterwards was just fucked up though, it really is a cesspit isn't it.

For 3 rounds it was shaping up to be a FOTY candidate, two vastly different styles but they were both going for it. Spike died on his feet after that but some of those shots he took were sickening. Chris Eubank Jr. is money though, he's got all the attributes but he also loves a dust up. Eubank/Jacobs is gonna be one of the fights of 2016, hope it happens.

Also should get Crolla-Barroso next year too. Hearn's hopes of an all English world title fight went down the swanny but im all for this too. Barroso (who's clearly had a tough life) seems a bit of a monster, he destroyed Kevin Mitchell. I saw his record 18-0 (17 ko's) but thought it was a pad-job, i don't think anyone expected what we got.

Edited by Ebb

Honestly, I can't recall a better night of boxing action.

HBO:

Sergio Martinez vs Julio Cesar Chavez Jr

Rocky Martinez vs Miguel Beltran Jr

Guillermo Rigondeaux vs Robert Marroquin

I remember that show, I even stayed up for it.

The main event was pretty standard until the last round. That was what made the fight if I recall rightly. Before that, Sergio had things well in hand. The other two fights were barnburners, but I didn't have much attachment to the fighters involved.

Last night may have not been a tribute to technical brilliance, and some of the fights were one-sided, but it was the drama that made me appreciate it to such a high extent. 

• Paid Members

Its a division that goes around in circles, i think alot of people look at the past with rose-tinted glasses but there's alway been lulls in Heavyweight boxing, we're just making a fuss about it now cause we lived through one.

• Paid Members

dunno if anyone's interested, but if anyone is planning on signing up for Boxnation for the Saunders/Lee fight tomorrow use the code: XMASOFFER when signing up you get 3 months of Boxnation for the price of 1.

related: there's a 1 hour build up show on Boxnation tonight at 9, it's freeview too so get on it.

Edited by Ebb

There is no one I dislike more in boxing than BJS.

That said, he boxed really well last night, and without question deserved to win. If anything, the judges were a bit kind to Lee. I felt BJS won by 3 or 4 points. Like the Eubank fight, BJS faltered down the stretch, but he was sitting on a hefty lead, especially with the knockdowns.

I don't get the hate tor BJS, he has said some crass things but you can't expect all boxers to speak well and be totally PC. Given alot of boxers backgrounds and upbringings it's amazing there isn't more crass things said. He's a very good boxer an has proved himsrlf the best British / Irish Middleweight. I think he has reached his level though, his lack of power and conditioning i think would be found out at the next level.

Anyone see the Big Cuban V Jennings? He looks a handful.

I don't get the hate tor BJS, he has said some crass things but you can't expect all boxers to speak well and be totally PC. 

I don't have an issue with BJS's boxing skils. He's clearly a gifted fighter and deserved to win on Saturday night.

However, he has the charm of a sewer rat. When some boxers trash talk, they possess certain endearing qualities while doing so, such as being witty or tongue in cheek. For all the daft things Fury comes out with, he can make you laugh with his tomfoolery. With BJS, there is none of that, he just comes across as a knob. 

• Paid Members

One thing i will say about Saunders is that he at least comes across as genuine. He has strong views and isn't afraid to offend but there's no hint that he's doing it for camera's, it's just how he is.

• Paid Members

I have no doubt he's genuine. Genuinely a horrible cunt. As a fighter he's clearly very good. Beyond that he has no redeeming qualities for me. And that makes him impossible to root for to me. Just seems like a proper nasty little shit. And believe me I don't expect fighters to be well spoken and PC. If you're going to talk trash though, come up with something better than a 12 year old in the playground. His outbursts against Eubank Jr before their fight were fucking cringeworthy. All he kept saying was 'he's shit, he's fucking crap, Euwank, he's shit, he's a prick, he sucks his dad's cock, he's shit, Euwank, he's shit' over and over again. Proper immature school bully stuff. If Eubank had more hair Saunders would've probably put bubblegum in it. He's a pillock. I don't know how anyone could like him.