Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

keep up Dave, that's over a month old.

Still, sucks for Burns. He seems like the nicest guy in the world and its not nice to see him in such a shitty situation, I'd love to see him pull it off in the Figueroa fight in a few weeks, it isn't going to happen, but id love to see it.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers, will have a look. Some great fights in May. If Burns can reach anything like his old form i think his fight on Saturday could be a top notch affair. The Mcdonell affair should be lively as well. Both on Sky.

Edited by Porkchopcash

• Paid Members

Yeh that show is being mixed in with the Matchroom Birmingham show, so it'll be one big broadcast from two locations, Wrestlemania 2 style.

I don't have much hope for Burns though.

Didn't know the Burns fight was this Saturday.

It's great that NBC put these fights on late afternoon in America, it means us Brits can watch them at reasonable times. I believe DeGale's title bid will be on at a reasonable time as well. 

• Paid Members

Think the fight is due to start at 10pm. 

PBC boxing times depend on which channel its on over in the U.S. They deal with NBC,CBS and Spike so far.

Edited by Fox Piss

• Paid Members

yeh, i think the big NBC shows are on late in America so we get those in the wee small hours. It's the smaller Saturday afternoon shows on CBS we get at good times over here, i hope they keep doing them.

On a betting front, its unlikely but a £5 double on McDonnell/Burns returns just over a hundred sheets. The badlefthook preview fancies Burns as a bit of a live dog in this one (surprisingly). Ive seen both staredowns and both Brits look considerably bigger than their opponents.

lots of good stuff going on this weekend :)

here's the 24/7 episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSkaWsxT7uc

Edited by Ebb

It should be a good night of boxing. Kirkland vs. Alvarez will be a good scrap. Its a shame, Humberto Soto vs. Frankie Gomez was cancelled. Gomez came in 16lbs overweight. They increased the fight weight by 5lbs but Gomez was still overweight. Gomez is talented and this was supposed to be his first piece of major exposure on HBO against Soto who has only lost once (against Lucas Matthyse) in 7 years.

Ricky Burns chances against Omar Figueroa don't look good, Figueroa will be too big and powerful for him. Figueroa failed to make weight again, even though he's moved up to 140lbs because 135lbs was too much of a struggle to fight at. I'm looking forward to the McDonnell/Kameda fight, it should be very close as both are on a similar level. But I think Kameda will win by a slim points decision. Austin Trout will also be on the undercard.

Carl Froch was stripped of his WBA title yesterday due to inactivity so its up for grabs in Germany tonight, with Felix Sturm & Fedor Chudinov fighting for it. Chudinov is undefeated with 12 wins, 10 coming via way of TKO. Sturm has had a lot of world title fights so his experience will be a major advantage but the higher weight may be his downfall.

The Matchroom card looks utterly dreadful. All one sided fights that look like an edition of 1980's WWF Superstars but you're expected to pay £40 (at the cheapest) to watch it. After the boxing buzz from last week this would have been an ideal oppurtunity to price tickets low so they got a good house.

• Paid Members

well Canelo/Kirkland did their part in helping people get over last weekend...

http://www.badlefthook.com/2015/5/9/8580921/canelo-kirkland-highlights-knockout-video-gif

the PBC show was really good too, bit of a victory for British boxing. There aren't many occasions where Brits go out to America and win, and the feeling was that McDonnell and Burns were going out to America to lose but McDonnell won, and then Burns i think shocked everyone by losing but impressing in a war with Omar Figueroa, it sucked that Burns had a harsh referee to deal with as well as his opponent but it was a hell of a fight. Both quality fights for completely different reasons.

I thought the judges were a bit harsh on Burns. As there was a 2 point deduction for Burns, I had Figueroa winning by 2 or 3 points. There was very little to pick between them.

A.J continues to look the real deal. But it's all baby steps. I like the idea of Joshua vs Price for the end of the year.

• Paid Members

Canelo KO was ruthless. Love watching that ginger amigo. I'll have to root against him when/if he fights Cotto though.

Anyone catch the Buglioni fight on Box Nation. That was fun.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

yeh heard it was good, i only caught the Joshua fight from the shows over here...that went as expected, it's fun seeing him bombing people out but it's just a pointless exercise at this point. Interested to see how the Kevin Johnson fight pans out, i can't imagine anything other than a Joshua win its just how Joshua approches it.

Canelo just battered Kirkland. It was always gonna be exciting because Kirkland knows no other way than to go forward but he was hurt by everything Canelo hit him with. Wild fight.