Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Didn't even know it was on ITV1. Sweet. I'll get that on later.

When was the last time a boxing match was on ITV1, actually? Got to have been an early Khan fight, right? Or even as far back as Calzaghe vs Lacy or something? It's been a fucking age, I know that.

Oh yeah, the other day (Feb 25th) was the 20th anniversary of the Benn vs McClellan fight.

1073.jpg

Madness. I still remember that vividly and I was only 9 years old when it happened. I can't even remember what colour boxers I put on when I got up this morning but I remember the night of that fight clearly.

I'm sure you've all seen it but for anyone who hasn't, here's the excellent documentary ITV did on the fight a few years ago;

Benn vs McClellan: The Fight Of Their Lives...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=UYCFR1KrD6g

Didn't even know it was on ITV1. Sweet. I'll get that on later.

When was the last time a boxing match was on ITV1, actually? Got to have been an early Khan fight, right? Or even as far back as Calzaghe vs Lacy or something? It's been a fucking age, I know that.

I'm sure the last one shown on ITV was Khan vs Malignaggi in early hours of the morning back in 2010. Like you say, it has been ages, this should be a good fight too as Avalos brings it and has the style that for me will bring out the best in Frampton. I can't see it going the distance, Frampton to stop him between 6-8 rounds.

Eubank Jnr vs Chudinov is a very intriguing fight. Chudinov likes to come forward and doesn't mind too much being hit so long as he can get his shots in, his defensive moment isn't the best and Eubank Jnr can exploit that. I expect it to be a tough one for both and for it to go the distance with Eubank Jnr taking it in a close decision.

• Paid Members

Gotta respect Eubank getting into a tough fight after his loss, speaks volumes about his character. He's said even if he wins tonight he wants to fight Saunders again before fighting for a World Title.

Gotta respect Eubank getting into a tough fight after his loss, speaks volumes about his character. He's said even if he wins tonight he wants to fight Saunders again before fighting for a World Title.

Yeah, definitely, you never know how a fighter will respond after losing his 0, but if anything Eubank Jnr has taken more confidence from it then what he had going in to the Saunders fight, not to take anything from Saunders on the night as he did enough and it was the right decision, the first half of the fight Eubank Jnr simply didn't do or put enough effort into winning any of them rounds. Chudinov is going to bring it to him tonight, so hopefully it will bring out the best in him as he will have to work even harder in this fight to get the win.

Is the Eubank fight on ITV1?

The Eubank and Fury fights are on BoxNation. You never can be sure with a Frank Warren card on when they will start as usually end up late but Eubank Jnr should be starting no later then 9PM, so hopefully both fights will be over before Frampton starts around 11PM.

• Paid Members

Yeh im gonna run the ITV card on the tablet next to the TV to keep track of time.

There's always ITV+1 so if Fury over runs ill watch the Frampton fight later.

Frank Warren has said his shows wont over-run again though after last time...that was a debacle.

• Paid Members

I don't think ITV could have hoped for a better re-introduction to Boxing.

Frampton looked like a mega-star, insane crowd, great production, a pantomime villain, the McGuigan factor (which annoys me but its part of the package), and a dynamite performance.

Avalos was the perfect foil. So many times in boxing, an opponent is a faceless fighter fed to a hometown fighter as fodder, Avalos could have been just that but he played his part, playing up to the crowd, goading Frampton and then going out on his shield.

I know last night was a one shot deal, its probably down to the ratings to decide if ITV extend the deal (The McGuigans paid for the slot last night), but given than GGG/Murray far exceeded viewing figures on 5 last week and the feedback to last nights show seems to be unanimously positive i think its looking pretty good.

...i watched the ITV broadcast after switching over from Frank Warren's tired looking Boxnation broadcast and the difference in overall presentation was massive. Warren's shows need a facelift.

If you didnt see the Boxnation show, it's worth your time to track down Eubank/Chudinov, bit of a one sided war, but holy fucking shit could Chudinov take it, them Russians are made of stern stuff. Eubank Jr. looked awesome last night.

As for Tyson Fury... well, he continues to divide opinion.

McGuigan is such a fucking tool though. I used to like him a lot but now he's into managing, he thinks if you talk enough shit someone might believe him. Like how is Frampton better than Rigondeaux? Two fights ago, he said Frampton is ready for everyone in the division except Rigondeaux. Now Frampton beats a title contender in Avalos, he thinks he's better than a P4P king. Once Frampton does what Rigondeaux did and beats a 12 year undefeated fighter in the top 5 P4P rankings in Donaire, then I will take him seriously. McGuigan also told Scott Quigg, you need to know who the real world champion and who packs the arenas! Outside of Northern Ireland no-one gives a fuck about him hence why he went to London to train for the peace & quiet.

I thought there was something wrong with Avalos during the fight. He kept spitting mid rounds and trying to blow his nose out mid-fight. Then there was the elbow complaining & pissing about with his protector. He fought the wrong fight altogther. Taller & longer fighter and he was trying to box in close, he should have had Frampton on the end of his jab.

I think those Russians have it instilled into them to never quit. Lebedev looked like the Elephant Man but kept going until he collapsed from exhaustion. Abdusalamov wouldn't quit against Mike Perez and now has brain damage. It's difficult to determine how good Eubank Jr. was from that fight. Chudinov couldn't see out of his right eye for 11 rounds which made him susceptible from punches & slowed him down.

• Paid Members

Avalos hurt his elbow in round 3 i think, Frampton had his arm trapped and noticeably twisted it, dirty little tactic.

Not quite sure what the protector was all about but the spitting, blowing his nose leads me to believe his nose was broken and be was swallowing blood...really thats tough shit, its a fight and the reason he was having them problems is because Frampton was punching him in the face.

As for the Quigg fight. I think it has to take place in Belfast. Frampton may be an unknown commodity outside of his own country (though probably not after last night), the buzz over there is truly special and creams anything Quigg can drum up England. Frampton's situation is truly special and i wanna see Quigg go there simply for the spectacle of it.

Im a big Scott Quigg but fuck me, he struggles stringing a sentence together. Homeboy's dull as a brush.

Quigg has a stammer, i think that is why is interviews are quite awkward to watch.

In Manchester the fight sells out The MEN which is twice the size of The Odeyse. Even when Frampton won the belt in Belfast, they had to spends tens of thousands of pounds to errect an arena which only held 16000 people.

Individually Frampton is the better supported, when fighting against each other there is no doubt it would make it financially beneficial to both to fight in England, especially with an undercard of local fighters. Maybe even PPV.

Eubank and Fury have both improved a lot but were fighting opponents tailor made for them. They both did what they had to do but no more than that.