Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

I wish Rose well, and I hope this doesn't read as a dismissal as I'm not saying he's bad, but I've always seen him as a very good domestic level fighter who might be able to have some success at European level. I've never seen anything to suggest that he will be able to mix it at world class. He's not a puncher and while he's a good boxer he's never struck me as being good enough to get by on his boxing at the upper levels.

I don't think many thought he deserved a shot and he showed the quality gap against Andrade. It was more like a sparring match but Andrade's corner couldn't say get him out and bring someone better in. Knocked down in the first minute and then outboxed for the remainder. Rose landed 30 punches all fight, I think it was stopped in the seventh round due to taking a pummelling.

Never heard of Chris Algieri before last night and it didn't look like it would last very long with Algieri being down twice in the first round. With the first knockdown his eye started to swell and it continued to grow & close for the rest of the fight. But once Algieri got going he started to move around the ring picking off Provodnikov with jabs and hooks. Provodnikov was still throwing big, hard punches but they were coming in single digits. As the rounds went by, Algieri was throwing and landing more punches than Provodnikov but the HBO scorecard was giving all the rounds to Provodnikov. I muted the sound and Algieri continued to dance around the ring, leaving Provodnikov perplexed how to try and catch him. By the end of the tenth round, Roach was telling Provodnikov, its too close, knock him out. Both fighters seem to lose steam in the last two rounds but Algieri still landed more shots.

One of the judges had it, 117-109 (HBO had it 117-109) while the other two had it 114-112. For Algieri! New champ! Afterwards Provodnikov said "I don't like fighters who run around and jab me, I can't feel that, its not my style. Its the worst style for me." & then he got a bit too honest, "I obviously have trouble with that style, I like guys who are in front of me and fighting me."

• Paid Members

first off, Brian Rose really stood no chance. I mean the odds were stacked against him anyway but he simply froze out there, he was nothing more than a punching bag for Adrade. You can't stand there with your gloves up and allow a guy as skills as Andrade to unload on you, he's gonna break you down eventually no matter how tight your guard is. Rose was brave but he was woefully outmatched.

Then there was Provodnikov/Algieri! Boxing throws up another shock. Algieri was a bit of a no-hoper on paper and to be go from being knocked twice in round 1, suffering a severely damaged eye and weathering a power punching storm to outbox Provodnikov was pretty fucking extraordinary. Scorewise i think i was blinded by the HBO team who unanimously favoured Provodnikov pretty heavily (except for Andre Ward - who's so much better than Roy Jones in the booth), and i thought Provodnikov's pressure and power shots were outscoring Algieri's busier but lighter punching attack, but it wasn't until around about round 8 that i thought 'hmmm Algieri's doing alright here'...even Freddie Roach knew it was ultra-close in the corner after round 10 "We need a knockout". Algieri's a lot of fun to watch though, he made a name for himself last night.

It was a really good fight and will be a great fight for fans to look at when it comes to how boxing scoring can differ because it was one that really split everyone into different groups.

Provodnikov says he wants to fight guys who'll stand and trade so a rematch may be out of the question, but for such an upset it has to be a possibility. Read a quote that Algieri could be next for Pacquiao

• Paid Members

oh and i know this completely pointless but if someone blended Carl Frampton and Rich Clemennti together, the result would be Chris Algieri.

SPT_20131019_SPO_056_29325769_I2.JPG

+

clementi.jpg

=

12378_505.jpg

• Paid Members

Matchroom are advertising a 'Fight Pass' service as coming soon on their website. Details are scarce but it looks like all Matchroom events will be streaming, plus you get access to pre-sale tickets.

Not sure if they mean its the big Sky Sports shows or if they are doing smaller Fight Pass only shows.

Could be ideal for people who dont subscribe to Sky Sports.

So we got Lomachenko vs Russell Jr this Saturday night for the vacant WBO Featherweight Championship, the return of "The Ghost" Robert Guerrero and Alexander vs Karass. The fight between Lomachenko vs Russell Jr is a fight I'm finding hard to predict a winner in, at a push I am going to go with Lomachenko taking it on a close points decision.

Lomachenko vs Russell Jr was a good fight, when I heard majority decision read out I did think for a second we might get the wrong winner, but thankfully two judges cancelled out one who had the fight a draw(Not sure how they came to that conclusion but not surprising) I thought Lomachenko was superb, started much quicker then in his previous fight and his body shots throughout were a serious weapon. Russell Jr success rate was no wear near good enough and the fact he isn't that big of a puncher doesn't help either. I had Lomachenko winning by 6 and he has now equalled Muangsurin record of winning a world title in his third pro fight. Fantastic achievement by him and fully deserved win here. Not sure who will be next for him but so many great fights to be made

A really good card last night I thought. I am not really a fan of Devon Alexander but really enjoyed the Karass match up. But what a fight Guerrero was given last night by Kamegai. Loved it and that final round I think could have gone half an hour and Kamegi would not go down. The shots both men took were great and you have to say, is a genuine ontender of MOTY.

• Paid Members

they grow em tough over in Japan...holy fucking shit that thing was epic. I love a fight where two guys stand in the pocket and just tee off and this was that for 12 rounds. Guerrero probably could have made it easier on himself but he seemed to allow Kamegai to walk him down and would decide to stand and trade, brutal fight and thought it wasn't smart from Guerrero it made of a hell of fight from a fans perspective. Brilliant.

There was another fight earlier in the year where a Japanese fighter took unreal punishment without dropping, i can't remember what it was though.

Oh and Lomachenko won his world title in his 3rd fight, the handspeed on that guy :omg:

• Paid Members

sound little Sky card going on tomorrow night (not Saturday) up in Scotland:

ricky-burns-he-who-dares_medium1.jpg

Ricky Burns' return fight, the guy he's fighting is ranked above Burns by the WBC and is undefeated in 18 fights...but i imagine he's been chosen carefully considering Ricky's looked so bad in his last 3 fights.

The most anticipated fight on the card is probably Simmons/Camacho though, two guys who genuinely don't like each other. Sometimes these types of fights don't live up to the billing but im definitely tuning in to find out if it does.

My man Curtis Woodhouse on the bill too...still we'd retired after his last fight though :(

Burns conqueror Terence Crawford also fights Saturday night against Gamboa...

crawford5.jpg

they keep coming.

Looking forward to seeing Burns make his comeback. I hope a win results in maybe a fight with Anthony Crolla. That would be a decent scrap.

I'll also be watching & hoping that Willie Limond can pull of the win. A British title win would mean a lot to him, and at 35 he hasn't got much left.

Burns gets beat again, not sure what has happened to him since beating Kasidas but he looks done now at world level. I had Zlaticanin by a couple of rounds, there are still big British fights out there for him, good pay days. New fresh team didn't seem to help much, being fair the start was awful.

• Paid Members

didn't your Sky go off? i lost round 6-10 :( what i did see though was Ricky Burns get absolutely smashed any time he attempted to throw his right hand, the sky team brought it up also but Burns habit of falling against the ropes and just covering up is a really weird thing, he's done in constantly in his past few fights.

Terrible setback for Ricky though, but if we're talking levels i think its safe to say that Burns is done at world level. He hung onto his belt longer than he probably should have it tonight just reinforced it. Hearn spoke after about Burns dropping down to domestic level and taking some big fights here, makes total sense to me.

Both undercard fights were quality tonight though.