Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Completely forgot Marquez vs Alvarado was this weekend.

Steve Bunce article on Marquez;

It was fifteen years ago that a spindly-legged Mexican called Juan Manuel Marquez was made the number one contender for Naseem Hamed's WBO featherweight title.

Marquez had lost his first fight but was unbeaten in 29, with 23 ending in blood and pain for his opponents, by the time that the negotiations turned serious during the summer of 1999. Marquez wanted Hamed, make no mistake and, contrary to popular belief, little Naz wanted Marquez.

The fight never happened and Marquez was given a boxing lesson by unbeaten Freddy Norwood when he fought for the WBA featherweight title in September 1999; a month later Hamed added the WBC title to his WBO belt when he beat Cesar Soto in Detroit. Yes, Naz really was that good.

It looked like the fight was dead for good, but negotiations continued behind the scenes and in early 2000 Marquez was offered $400,000 to meet Hamed. He declined, which is not the same as 'ducking' Hamed.

"It is not easy to fight Hamed, he is like a wrestler and he's difficult to beat," said Marquez at the time. "It would be like the Norwood fight and right now they [Hamed's team] have not given me sufficient time to prepare." The fight was dead after that.

Hamed went on a spectacular bender of indecision at that crucial time in his career; there was pathetic preparation for fights and after a bizarre exit fight in 2002, against a Spaniard in London's Docklands, he simply vanished. The great days and nights were over and he is still missed.

Marquez continued winning and in 2003 he won the IBF featherweight title, defending it and adding the WBA version later that year when he stopped Derrick Gainer. It looked like Marquez was desperate to make up for lost time, because at that point he had been a professional boxer ten years.

In May 2004 he defended both belts against Manny Pacquiao in what is the first of their four fights. Marquez was over three times in the opening round, which was scored 10-6 in Pacquiao's favour.

It was a gruesome fight, quite brilliant to watch and at the end of 12 torrid rounds the judges returned their verdict: one went for Manny, one for Marquez and the third had it a draw. Marquez kept his belts but it was the start of the hate. "I won that fight," Marquez screamed.

Marquez continued to dominate at feather and super-feather until 2008 when he met Pacquiao for the second time. It went 12 rounds again and the split verdict went to Pacquiao. Marquez was furious, but kept winning. In 2009 he was offered a non-title fight with Floyd Mayweather and collected a forfeit of over $500,000 when Floyd came in heavy - Marquez was fighting about a stone above his heaviest previous weight and lost on points. Mayweather still receives criticism for the extra weight and the demands he insisted on.

In 2011 it was Manny again; it went 12 and Marquez lost a wafer-thin and deeply controversial decision once again. Marquez was livid, vowing to never fight again. He was at that stage 38, he had been a champion at three weights and there was a very solid argument for him being named as one of Mexico's finest fighters. He was a survivor and had handily beaten another great Mexican Marco Antonio Barrera in 2006.

So, after three fights with Pacquiao a fourth was arranged and it took place in December 2012, back at the MGM in Vegas. What a night it was; Marquez was trailing on all three scorecards after five rounds but knocked out Pacquiao cold in round six. It was a stunning end.

Since that night Marquez has dropped another controversial decision, this time to Tim Bradley. There was nothing in it. This Saturday at the Forum in Inglewood, California, the truly remarkable career of Juan Manuel Marquez continues - he is 40, has fought 63 times and if he beats Mike Alvarado he will be in a big fight or two again. He might have missed Hamed 15 years ago but since then he has met the very best.

Shame we never got that Naseem vs Marquez fight.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members
Channel 5 has a Kid Galahad has a Commonwealth Title shot against Fred Mundraby, biggest fight of Galahad's career.

He put in a good performance, he was lightning quick. He is clearly a class above the guy he was in there with mind you, who really didn't throw anything and quit on his stool in the end.

I'd definitely want to see more of him, and he comes from a great stable. Plus, great name!

yeh Galahad looked great Saturday night, he's at that stage now though where i wanna see him in with a top opponent, or one of the top British guys because he's just breezing through these challenges.

Similar situation is happening with Chris Eubank Jr. as annoying as he is, i just wanna see him step up a level now and fight someone decent, his opponent last Saturday was an embarrasment, shockingly mismatched. He's due to fight Kerry Hope on the Fury/Chisora undercard, that'll give us more of an idea as to where he's at.

Oh, and Stiverne/Arreola was a belting little heavyweight title fight last Saturday...i know Wlad is way out in front in terms of who's the actual best heavyweight, but give me a Stiverne/Arreola type fight anyway, competitive and entertaining.

• Paid Members

Just had a quick glance at Billy Joe Saunders' twitter...

@ChrisEubankJr You and your dad talks on bullshit ' I will make you live in a hotel for years just like your dad did' lol soppy balls

His never Heard of @gavtherock or me Because he lives in his own dream world And his dads lol uwank jnr ' 4 Rounds of torture 5th allover

@firstclassbox: @callumneal7 - it makes me wonder how he's got 8000+ followers when guys like @frankiegavin1 & @bjsaunders_ buys them

@BoxingBrummie: @bjsaunders_ @firstclassbox @callumneal7 @frankiegavin1 that or they think its his dad..."or his mum sales her Body forthem

@johnwri90170607 your granny and mum at the same time with a horse out the back of her ;) with jz getting head ;)

@Kram1029 well I think your wasting your time flowing me mate should be up the doll office you ;) #brokeman

@Kram1029 You don't need to spell when you can fight and count cash;) doll office you belong !

Don't think I'll bother again. Is he always like this? I mean the spelling's bad enough to bring on a migraine but the content is no better. I never really had much of an opinion on him one way or the other before, but he seems a right cock on twitter. I mean, bringing mums into it, really? It reads like the ramblings of a 12 year old little shit.

• Paid Members

haha, ive never Bille Joe's twitter...that fight (Saunders/Eubank) needs to happen though.

Speaking of twitter feuds, Gavin Rees/Chris Eubank had a little back and forth after last weekend.

Twitter war

:laugh:

• Paid Members

Yeah, come on Mr Piss, what animals has he killed? Are we talking him stepping on a snail or something more sinister like he's boiled a spaniel?

While we're on the subject, does Saunders remind anyone else of Lee Evans? The voice and even the way he looks, I think of Lee Evans every time.

• Paid Members

Sure it was rabbits.

Just checked his pictures but they must have been removed. Pretty sure it wasn't even hunting or owt just in a caravan park.

Edited by Fox Piss

• Paid Members

So he looks like Lee Evans, talks like Bradley Walsh, tweets like he's 12 and he's carrying on like a more successful Elmer Fudd on caravan sites. I've learned a lot about Billy Joe Saunders today.

Ebb, any chance you could add a poll to this thread for the Froch vs Groves rematch? Be interesting to see how the votes go.

• Paid Members

Marquez looked fantastic last night beating Mike Alvarado. I kind of lost track of the scoring but it was a clear and wide decision. Alvarado's knockdown was his only bright spot. He was given a boxing lesson the rest of the way.

Marquez vs Pacquiao V next?! I know Marquez has said he's not interested and I can definitely see why because it's going to be near impossible for him to top his KO of Manny last time, but I think he'll end up agreeing to it. It's the biggest payday available to him right now and at 40 there can't be many of them left. I'm up for it, it'd be guaranteed to be a great fight as always.

BoxNation have the Sergio Martinez vs Miguel Cotto fight on June 7th as well.

Ha, I asked for the Froch vs Groves poll, now I can't decide which way to vote. It's really hard to call. I'm slightly leaning towards Froch but I think I'll wait to vote until fight week to see how they're looking/acting.

Edited by wandshogun09

Marquez had been talking about Pacquiao quite a lot in the build up to this fight during the week, so was strange to see him be so quiet about it post fight. He wants to win that world title and be the first Mexican to do so in five different weight divisions badly, but at same point he doesn't want Pac again so it is going to come down to what is most important and means the most to him. Marquez put in a very good performance, had too much skill for Alverado, was fun in parts.