Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

bet 365 other 12/1 povetkin to win on points is worth a punt ive put on an accumulator of cotto by dq, techinal ko or KO same with luke campbell, povetkin points and lee selby to win returns

Edited by DarloKid

The lack of buzz around Povetkin vs Wlad at least in this country is quite sad.

This is on paper the best Heavyweight match up since Haye vs Wlad, and this one I think will not be such a clunker in the ring. Its rare we get a Heavyweight clash like this in the post Lennox Lewis/ Mike Tyson. Since 2003 most feature Heavyweight fights are played before crowds in Eastern Europe, but usually feature a Klitchsko fighting a tired and over-matched opponent. Other than a brief run from Haye, Heavyweight interest at World level as been on its arse outside Europe.

This fight deserves more attention, people legit think Povetkin has a chance, probably the most anyone has give a Wlad opponent since Haye. Povertkin is unbeaten and has beaten some reasonable competition (he did not look good against Marco Huck though) Rumors are that the Russian mafia have put a lot of money on Povertkin, and his odds have been slashed overnight, from rank to modest underdog.

At the very least Povetkin is at least well known and unspoiled. Such is the dearth of great Heavies, we either get Wlad or Vitali taking on some unbeaten nobody, who turns out to be a lumbering mess, or some shopworn old geezer who would have been cannon fodder in their 90,s primes for the likes of Tyson, Tua, Evander or Lewis.

Ring walk could be anywhere between 8.30pm and 10pm, I have read different things, regardless I will be tuning in.

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

im pretty unfamiliar with Povetkin really but every preview ive read is that hes a guy whos past his best. I think people have just completepy lost interedt in the Klitschko's. There's only so many one sided plodding mismatches people can take.

Still, i'll be watching.

That was a terrible fight to watch, 3 clinches in the first 30 seconds set the precedent for the rest of the fight. Crawford vs. Klimov wasn't much better. Klimov had no power and Crawford who is technically sound is a boring fighter. HBO are trying to big him up and shifted the blame to Klimov, Kellerman saying Crawford is the most exciting fighter at 135lbs. Complete rubbish, every fight I've seen him in has been a borefest. Miguel Cotto rolled back the years and looks a reborn fighter under Freddie Roach. Delvin Rodriguez is hardly a killer himself but Cotto turned him into a gloried punching bag with devastating liver shots. Rodriguez was wobbly and blinking fast at the end of round two. It only took a couple of hooks to the head to put down Rodriguez and the ref stopped the fight at the start of round three.

I only saw bits of the Sky card. Big Josh looked impressive with his power and looks more relaxed in his stance, as opposed to his linear movements in the amateurs. Luke Campbell got another W, those heavy body shots are his calling card. I only saw bits of the Quigg fight but they were calling it a fight of two halves so a draw sounds fair enough. Doesn't help Quigg's profile though, given a world title, fighting to a draw to keep hold of the belt, next comes the heel run.

• Paid Members

Klitschko's spoiling tactics were a complete embarrasment last night. Povetkin was brave and game for 12 rounds but he had much bigger Klitschko's lean all over him any time he got in close, Klitschko could be seen reaching to pull Povetkin in at times. The scorecards of 119-104 shows Klitschko's dominance but it just did nothing to enhance his standing with the public.

Klitschko has unpenetrable style, he's mastered it but its so un-fan friendly that it just sucks the life out of the division. HBO took a chance on showing Klitschko again last night, i can pretty much guarantee that they'll pass on in his next fight.

Miguel Cotto looked reborn, spiteful punching and just blew Rodriguez out of there. Glad to have him back.

The Sky card was always gonna be a showcase card, the two Olympians looked good with 1st round stoppages, Joshua especially showed poise and patience in blasting out a game opponent. Quigg/Salinas was definietely a fight of two halves. Quigg's half was by far the more eye catching half that probably had most people thinking he'd take a decision, but it's easy to forget that Quigg took a long time to get going and gave away early rounds, a draw may very have been fair when you look at the scoring system, but i think Quigg was the genuine winner of the fight.

Klitschko's spoiling tactics were a complete embarrasment last night. Povetkin was brave and game for 12 rounds but he had much bigger Klitschko's lean all over him any time he got in close, Klitschko could be seen reaching to pull Povetkin in at times. The scorecards of 119-104 shows Klitschko's dominance but it just did nothing to enhance his standing with the public.

Klitschko has unpenetrable style, he's mastered it but its so un-fan friendly that it just sucks the life out of the division. HBO took a chance on showing Klitschko again last night, i can pretty much guarantee that they'll pass on in his next fight.

:thumbsup:

Bang on there EBB, could not put it better myself.

A lot of it has to do with how his opponents come in low with their heads down as well. A lot of times Klitschko didn't even have his arms up, so Povetkin could have moved out if he wanted.

As for his standing with the public, have you seen the crowds both of them pull in Europe? At the age they are now I doubt that cracking the US, or generating interest in the UK is top of their priorities.

They're making great money, beating everyone who get's put in front of them, plus they'll likely have the added bonus of being able to string a sentence together after they retire due to the lack of punishment they take.

Not the most entertaining, but then again they don't claim to be.

• Paid Members

It was horrible Dave, no two ways about it.

Klitschko's popularity in Europe is undeniable but for boxing fans last Saturday was just as lousy as it gets, the guys cheated constantly for 12 rounds and got away with it, it was a horrible advert for boxing.

Regardless of whether or not the Europeans loved it, it was abysmal.

It was horrible Dave, no two ways about it.

Klitschko's popularity in Europe is undeniable but for boxing fans last Saturday was just as lousy as it gets, the guys cheated constantly for 12 rounds and got away with it, it was a horrible advert for boxing.

Regardless of whether or not the Europeans loved it, it was abysmal.

Oh yeah, it wasn't pleasant, but that wasn't completely down to Wlad. It takes two to tango, and Povetkin kept ducking down low when he was coming in. It seems that a lot of fighters seem to have a gameplan when they enter the ring against either of these guys, and quickly realise that it simply won't work.

Both of them are deceptively fast & have excellent footwork. Even David Haye expressed surprise at both those attributes after his fight.

Look at the stats for the bout at the weekend there. Povetkin landed less than five punches per round on average. Five fucking punches! That's impressive, considering the fact that unlike Haye, Povetkin actually came to fight.

As you say, it's not the most exciting to watch, but I'm just enjoying watching possibly the best technical heavyweight fighter of all time ply his trade.

Once those two brothers are gone we'll see the belts switching hands more often no doubt, but the quality of fights will no doubt drop.