Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

man, that's harsh. It explains Ricky's lacklustre performance in the ring. Ricky came out on fire in round 1 but from 2 onwards he was clearly struggling. To fight on for 11 rounds with a badly broken jaw and even go on to win the last couple of rounds on most cards is a fucking testament to how fucking tough the guy is, i'm a Ricky Burns fan until the end.

Still, there's no way he deserved a draw from the fight, i had Beltran winning aleast 7 of the rounds handily and that doens't include the knockdown. Good fight though, i would love to see a rematch.

As for the American card, Seth Mitchell just doesn't have the chin for heavyweight boxing. Fair he got caught clean by a massive puncher, but the guy just goes on queer street every time he's hit, it does make for exciting fights though (except for the second Banks fight). An in-shape Arreola and Deontay Wilder is the fight to make.

Oh and if none of you saw it, there was a cracking little fight underneath it between Esquivias & Marquez. Marquez was rushed to the hospital afterwards but thankfully is ok, Nacho Beristain is calling for his fighter to retire which is probably the best thing to do, Marquez went out on his shield, great fight.

Another great weekend of boxing!...and this one coming is going to be even better!

• Paid Members

yeh i think alot of people (including the pundits on Saturday) are against a Beltran rematch, but theres no doubt that the injury dictated how the fight went. Ricky Burns is the kind of man who will want to right the wrong too.

Lets see it!!!

yeh i think alot of people (including the pundits on Saturday) are against a Beltran rematch, but theres no doubt that the injury dictated how the fight went. Ricky Burns is the kind of man who will want to right the wrong too.

Lets see it!!!

I'd much rather see him move up in weight to be honest. He's not getting any younger, and with his jaw in bad shape he really should be looking at serious money fights.

Amir Khan would fit the bill!

• Paid Members

I know he was a trainer wasn't he, or promoter? I remember he was on Bunce's talkshow a few times as well. Seemed a nice bloke. Can't have been that old either. What did he die of?

Edit - to answer my own question, cause of death isn't known yet.

dean-powell.jpg

RIP

Edited by wandshogun09

Dean Powell was Frank Warren's matchmaker and also worked the corner for boxers. Yahoo have said he was working at York Hall on Saturday for some fighters.

De La Hoya's booking himself into rehab for coke addiction. He's going to miss Canelo's fight this weekend. I hope he's got the blueprint out of the safe ready for Alvarez.

Me too, it's the first Mayweather fight I've looked forward to in ages. Usually he picks fights that always have a slight angle to them which sees them tilt in his favour, be it waiting until someone is battleworn, too old or whatever. There always seems to be an angle.

This time there isn't. He's fighting a guy who's at the top of his game, who's on a roll and who could challenge him. When the narrator on the show says that this is Mayweather's toughest fight in years, it isn't just hype.

All access has been really good for this fight as have the build up press conferences. The weigh in which starts at 10pm GMT time tonight should be good too. Canelo will make it tough for May, but I still don't think he has the speed to do what's needed to take Floyd's 0. It's some bill for tomorrow night. Boxnation doing a deal where if you pay 10 for the month and 10 booking fee you get second month free, so basically 20 pounds for two months of the channel use, the code is MAYWEATHER.