Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

So.... That was sickening to watch.

Raymundo Beltran came across pre and post as a great guy.

"Sometimes I don't really like this business,"

Ditto Jim, Ditto.

Edited by Fox Piss

• Paid Members

There is no way that fight was a draw or a Burns win. Or if there was I didn't see it. I had it 116-112 for Beltran.

Burns was also allowed to hold all night without getting even so much as a warning.

Edited by nfc90210

• Paid Members

Oh Beltran won. Nobody on broadcast was making a claim for a Burns victory.

I think what gets people up in arms is Ray brings up the massive elephant in the room... Politics and it never gets brought up. Credit to Nelson who didn't necessarily bring that point up but wasn't going to let the decision have a easy ride.

To echo the other comments made on here about the fight I also had Beltran winning the fight, no doubt in my mind he done enough to go home with the belt. Fair play to Burns for hanging in there the way he did if his jaw is as bad as they said it was and after only two rounds, but that doesn't change the fact he didn't do enough to deserve earning a draw tonight.

• Paid Members

I had Beltran by two or three points. Felt really sorry for him, no way could I see that for Burns, or a draw. I thought Beltran outworked him, then there was the knockdown and all the holding from Burns which really warranted a point off. You could see how crushed Beltran was backstage in the interview.

Burns was tough as always, there's no quit in him. Still, for all the talk of his jaw injury, it should be remembered that it was Beltran who did the damage. It wasn't like Burns came into the fight with his jaw jacked or Beltran got lucky. Burns had a fucked up jaw because Beltran hit him hard in the jaw a bunch. You can't make excuses for that. If Burns fought different to protect the jaw, then Beltran deserves the credit for forcing that in my opinion.

I see Arreola took out Mitchell in one round last night, hurt him with the first meaningful punch he landed, put him on the canvas, Mitchell got back up but was stopped a few seconds later by the referee. Should put Arreola in there next with Wilder, it be fun while it lasts.

I had Beltran by two or three points. Felt really sorry for him, no way could I see that for Burns, or a draw. I thought Beltran outworked him, then there was the knockdown and all the holding from Burns which really warranted a point off. You could see how crushed Beltran was backstage in the interview.

Burns was tough as always, there's no quit in him. Still, for all the talk of his jaw injury, it should be remembered that it was Beltran who did the damage. It wasn't like Burns came into the fight with his jaw jacked or Beltran got lucky. Burns had a fucked up jaw because Beltran hit him hard in the jaw a bunch. You can't make excuses for that. If Burns fought different to protect the jaw, then Beltran deserves the credit for forcing that in my opinion.

See, whilst I think Burns lost the fight it is the above scoring that makes it less of a steal. 2 points ahead is a 1 round swing and it then becomes the draw which one of the judges called. Performer on the night was Smith though, he does look very good indeed.

• Paid Members

I should preface by saying that by gambling is all nickle and dime level...

God bless Chris Arroela. I had money on him to win and money on him to win by KO.

Paddy Power are pretty great. I had bet on Ricky Burns to win however when I saw Beltran walking to the ring, seeing how confident and relaxed he was, I made a bigger bet on him to win. Despite the decision, I logged into my Paddy Power account just now and have seen that I have received a "R Beltran Justice Payout". So, they've paid out on a Beltran win.

Edited by nfc90210

• Paid Members

rubbafish - Yeah, 2 or 3 points isn't a massive lead or anything. But I meant that I thought he was clearly 2 or 3 rounds up. Even without the knockdown, if every round was a simple 10-9 score, I couldn't have scored Burns the 7 rounds he'd need to win. Add the knockdown and I really can't see the argument for Burns. Beltran landed the better punches near enough the whole fight and Burns was holding a lot at times, which is negative two-fold because 1) if you're just holding you aren't scoring points, and 2) it looks like you're just trying to survive/avoid the fight or that you might even be hurt. Burns had some good spells but it didn't feel like a dead even fight like the draw verdict would suggest.

Is it just me, or does Jim Watt come across as the most negative man in British boxing? His commentary is fucking chronic.

I'm with you. I can't stand Jim Watt. Even when he makes a good point he beats it to death the whole fight and ruins it. There's times where he's so negative about what one guy isn't doing to his liking that he completely fails to credit the other guy with anything. If you were blind and listening to the Sky commentary last night, from what Watt said you'd think Beltran was just lucky that Burns wasn't doing the right things. It's all he was on about and it detracted from a really good performance from Beltran. He's always doing it as well isn't he. To be honest, I think the Sky boxing announce team has been in need of a revamp for years. It's the same few faces/voices all the time. Surely there's someone better than Jim Watt to throw out there. At least someone who will seem like they want to be there, not some miserable old twat criticising everything.

Edited by wandshogun09

I thought Jim was being bitter towards Ricky after Eddie Hearn's comments to the press about Ricky being the best Scottish boxer ever if he beat Beltran. When alternatives were named like Ken Buchanan and Benny Lynch as better boxers, no-one mentioned Jim's name. It probably broke his heart. He is crap though as an analyst. He's a former lightweight world title holder so this should of been his bread and butter but I had to mute the sound when he offered this insight: "Burns has been knocked out of his gameplan, whatever it was."

• Paid Members

Eddie Hearne posted an x-ray of Burns' jaw on twitter. Hearne is saying that he can't guarantee that Burns (who has had titanium plates inserted into his jaw) will ever box again (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/24007137). That may be promotional hyperbole but either way Burns' suffered a nasty injury last night.

3ir3.jpg

Edited by nfc90210