Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Fuck, Froch vs Groves yeah. That list above was just off BloodyElbow but I knew they were missing some good stuff. Seems like ages since Khan last fought. It was only April but it seems longer. Alexander would be good.

• Paid Members

Wilder's KO of Liakhovich was harsh on the weekend, frightening power. Wilder's really starting to gain momentum, as far as heavyweights go, he's by far the biggest potential star American heavyweights-wise in years, 29 KO's in 29 fights, that's the kind of stat that sells tickets.

1.gif

Edited by Ebb

• Paid Members

anyone else super f'n pumped for Cleverly/Kovalev, im as excited for this as any fight this year. It really is a case of two of the best prospects in world boxing meeting, superstardom beckons for the winner.

Pretty much every piece of media ive read favour Kovalev to have too much punching power for Nathan, but there's plenty of questions going in. One of Cleverly's biggest strengths is his stamina, and Kovalev has never been beyond 8 rounds, so if this things goes deep it's anyone's fight. Cleverly's tendency to get drawn into a tear up and trust in his chin probably means this is gonna end up a f'n war. It's gonna be quality.

< trailer for a new Ali doc. coming out this year, no prizes for guessing what part of his life it covers. Edited by Ebb

• Paid Members

Anyone watching Friday Night Fights on ESPN? It's on now but there's only one fight left, the Campillo vs Fonfara main event. I'd urge anyone to Sky+ the repeat whenever it's on. The rematch between Artur Szpilka and Mike Mollo was wild. They showed the first fight from February as well, which was just as chaotic. Not technically pretty but both really fun to watch.

There was a belter on between Mark Salser and Adrian Granados just as well. I won't give any more away than that. I'd defo recommend giving this show a watch. For the first two fights alone.

< trailer for a new Ali doc. coming out this year, no prizes for guessing what part of his life it covers.

I'm guessing it'll be a gloss-job like the rest.

Ali was not perfect, but I think you are a tad harsh on him David. He does have a conscience in later life, he greatly regrets siding against Malcolm X.

Ali is a saint compared to some boxers who are celebrated.

Anyone watching Friday Night Fights on ESPN? It's on now but there's only one fight left, the Campillo vs Fonfara main event. I'd urge anyone to Sky+ the repeat whenever it's on. The rematch between Artur Szpilka and Mike Mollo was wild. They showed the first fight from February as well, which was just as chaotic. Not technically pretty but both really fun to watch.

Those were a couple of crackers, the boxer vs. the brawler. The ref in the first fight was a right biased dick to Mollo. I can't believe the Chicago boxing commission tried to get him to ref the rematch. No wonder he kicked up a stink about it and got him replaced. Mollo was just too wild and undisciplined in both fights. I think that helped in getting the double gashes above his eyes. Szpilka is a more composed fighter but lacks a tight defense and I'm sure he knows he needs to improve it, to go on and face better opponents.

• Paid Members

Clev got found out. Pissing about at the level he was whilst he was supposed to be a World Champ (Given not earned) was never a good idea.

Kovalev is a concrete handed bastard but is beatable without a doubt a bit like Stevenson.