Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Personal taste. I don't know, Sugar just had a bit of a vibe about him for me, like he was talking down to people. Might have misread him but as much as I would always give his views a listen I didn't find him very likeable. And it always bugged me that he'd have a cigar in his mouth but never light the bastard.

Bunce seems more down to earth to me.

Bunce is full of shit, contradicts himself constantly, a total company man as well. His show on Setanta was alright but the one on Box Nation got worse by the week and I've stopped watching.

Brian Rose fight is on channel 200 right now!

British Light middleweight title fight is on right now, only 4 rounds to go http://loaded.tv/home_live.php or sky 200

Edited by HeavyT

• Paid Members

Just been reading on East Side that Canelo Alvarez reckons he's likely fighting Floyd Mayweather on May 4th.

Anyone know if this is really Canelo's official Facebook;

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?stor...190213324369143

Huge step up for Alvarez if true.

29bo8wm.gif

• Paid Members

Fuck!

I wanted this later in the year so it got the proper build. Wanted Floyd to fight in May (Not to Ghost though. It fills me with dread) and Canelo to fight Cotto (despite loss) and then just hype the fuck out of this "Battle of Generations" that is getting thrown around everywhere.

Bert Sugar's opinions annoyed me.

He did not like MMA which is fair enough, but his reasons were so dated "its like a barfight" and "two men mounting" he was like a relic from another era. His reason for putting Joe Louis as the best Heavyweight over Ali was also silly, "he was more of a puncher which what you want from Heavyweights" which may be true but I think standard of opposition and victories are way more important.

He knows a lot of stuff, but knowledge does not mean squat without decent analysis to me. Someone could recite every boxing match of the past 20 years, but if they told me Audley Harrision was better than Vitali, it would render his opinion redundant to me.

Sugar never said anything that stupid, but he said enough that I strongly disagreed with to have a low opinion on him despite him being a respected and knowledgeable figure. I like to hear peoples opinions that disagree with mine, but I do not like to hear complete bollocks.

Floyd vs Alverez sounds great, but I did not expect it this early.

Edited by jimufctna24

Groves looked good lastnight, fights very similar to Haye now. I think he has improved alot over the last couple of years. He can put together savage combinations and Johnson done well to take the punches he did.

The Saunders fight was alot more competitive than i thought it would be, his opponent was a tough tough bloke and should get some more tv exposure of that performance.

Khan - despite Jim Watt gushing about Khan i did not think he fought that different and still got caught a few times - flush as well. Khan should steer well clear of Garcia as i believe he would get sparked out again.

My mate told me about this website, SOSO Boxing, first i have heard of it, looks great. Heres a link to last weeks Pac/Marquez fight for anyone who hasnt yet seen it.

http://sosoboxing.com/boxing-video-watch-o...nny-pacquaio-4/

• Paid Members

Cheers for that link, I'd never heard of that site before.

I agree about Khan, he looked good but I did think Watt got carried away at times. Richard Schaefer was saying Khan could beat anyone with that performance. I know as a promoter he has to big up his fighters but Khan didn't look that different to me. It was a favourable match up for him against someone who he was bigger than, faster than and who doesn't have much power. Not a knock on Khan because that's exactly the type of fight he needed after 2 consecutive losses but it's important to not get carried away.

As always though, always exciting. His speed and aggression combined with the fact that he can be vulnerable when tagged with a good shot means there's always that sense of danger in his fights.

I agree with Jamie Moore, I'd like to see a Lamont Peterson rematch next. The controversy needs settling and the last fight was fantastic. So it's win/win.

Thanks for that link, I've just been on it checking out some of my fave fights... One thing that i've always wondered after rewatching Froch vs Pascal is how it was never classed as one of the fights of the year? Both men were throwing bombs for the whole fight! I've not been a big boxing fan long so I might have missed the hype but it's one of my favourite fights..

On that note, is there any fights that you lot have watched and never understood why it hasn't been classed as a great?

EDIT: And if anyone hasn't watched it before http://sosoboxing.com/?s=pascal+froch it's on there :)

Edited by shaneojack

I felt Khan looked a bit more polished.

He did not get carried away and did not take many risks. He slowed things down at times and was more calculated.

He did get tagged in the 2nd after being a bit reckless, and maybe a few other times. I know it was a favorable match-up, but it was a step in the right direction.

Give it another few fights and I think we will see a big difference. He is worth getting excited about again I think, he has the skills just needs more boxing I.Q which I think Virgil Hunter will give to him.

• Paid Members

Yeah, Froch vs Pascal was a hell of a fight. I loved it both of them came for a war. Froch has had a few fights which I think don't get enough praise. I'm a big fan of his fights with Mikkel Kessler and Jermain Taylor as well.

On that note, is there any fights that you lot have watched and never understood why it hasn't been classed as a great?

Loads. There's a lot of older fights which I absolutely love which I don't think get enough love.

Azumah Nelson had some classics which are only ever occasionally brought up by die hard fans. His 1st fight with Jeff Fenech and his 2nd fight with Jesse James Leija were awesome.

Salvador Sanchez's fight with Azumah is great as is Sanchez's fight with Wilfredo Gomez.

Holyfield vs Dokes, Duran vs Barkley, Larry Holmes vs Ken Norton and Tim Witherspoon, Breland vs Davis. None are widely considered as "greats" but they're among my favourite fights. I know I'm forgetting loads still.