Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Marquez should be set for life financially. I'm not sure what he got paid for this fight but I know he banked in excess of $5 million for the 3rd Pacquiao fight last year and you'd have to assume he picked up probably more for this one. Plus the rest of his career earnings, his Marquez promotions stuff, sponsorships and PPV cuts plus he's a boxing analyst on some Mexican channel.

He's a multi millionaire. Doesn't seem the type to blow his earnings. He's a family man and doesn't appear to have issues with gambling, drink etc. I mean, his drink of choice is piss. Doesn't cost him a penny.

He's also going down as an all-time great. He really has no reason to carry on, it's the perfect career ending which boxers never usually get. He'll fight on though. While he's fighting this good there's no way he'll stop.

I'll have to dig those fights out and watch them again to see if they stand the test of time.

They do.

• Paid Members
How did you score the fight before the ending? I had Pacquaio up 47-46.

I had it the same. I had...

Rd 1 - Pacquiao 10-9

Rd 2 - Pacquiao 10-9

Rd 3 - Marquez 10-8

Rd 4 - Marquez 10-9

Rd 5 - Pacquiao 10-8

Rd 6....

had it even as i scored the first round 10-10.

I've been calling myself a boxing fan proper now for around 7 years, i still know more about MMA, but i love studying Boxing history and love watching all the classic moments...what we saw last night felt special, i think in a hundred years time people will still talk about the night Marquez KO'd Pacquiao and im glad i witnessed it. I literally sat with my jaw wide open for about 5 minutes after the KO punch, what an absolute bomb. At the end of each round tactics went down the shitter and the guys went to war, in them exchanges i expected Pacquiao to be the more dangerous, how wrong was I.

The key it seems was the adding of the strength and conditioning training to Marquez camp, i don't think anyone expected him to KO Pacquiao like that.

Amazing, that's all i can say.

• Paid Members

Yeah, the added strength will have defo helped but as well as that the timing, placement and momentum of the punch were all spot on. Pacquiao ran right into it maximising it's effectiveness as well. It was the perfect punch.

someone metioned the Sergio Martinez KO of Paul Williams earlier in the thread, and they mentioned it on the broadcast...it was a very similar punch, with the same result, faceplant.

Twas one of the first things I thought of when I saw it. Almost certainly the best punch I've seen since Martinez v Williams.

Oh absolutely. But in some ways maybe the Floyd vs Manny fight is actually more likely now for that very reason. Maybe Floyd, in seeing Manny get sparked by a 39 year old, will think the time is right to put Manny's name on his resume. Maybe he'll see Pacquiao, as ripe for the picking now. The fight would obviously not be as big as if it took place in 2009 but would still be a huge payday and in Floyd's eyes probably sees it as an easier fight now than it would have been back then.

Reminds me of how Sugar Ray bided his time with Hagler and only took the fight when he felt Hagler was slipping and the fight would be less risky.

Lost all interest in it to be honest, but I'd say it was more likely to happen after Pac v Marquez 4. Pac didn't look great in that fight, but he got the win, so for me, that was the time when Floyd would have thought it was the best time to fight him. Whereas now after back-to-back defeats, Floyd is probably thinking he's well above him and is justified in not taking the fight. I've not worded that well, but hopefully you get the gist.

So what's everybody's pound-4-pound top five after last night then? Mine looks something like...

1. Mayweather

2. Martinez

3. Marquez

4. Pacquiao

5. Ward

Edited by Sergio Bellend

• Paid Members

I get your point Mr Bellend. You're probably right. It's a travesty that Mayweather vs Pacquiao didn't happen between 2009-11.

I can't disagree with your top 5 pound for pound either. It's amazing to think of the level Marquez still competes at at 39. Wherever he ranks in the top 5 I think it's undeniable he belongs there.

Does anyone think we could possibly see Mayweather vs Marquez 2 at some point? Now I know that sounds silly given how one sided the first fight was and I'd defo still pick Floyd to win. But Marquez was a bloated up 147 back then, he's much better physically at the higher weight now. Just a thought. I think Marquez would lose again but give Mayweather a better fight in a rematch.

I think Bradley will be next for Marquez though. Then Pacquiao V.

Does anyone think we could possibly see Mayweather vs Marquez 2 at some point?

I think Bradley will be next for Marquez though. Then Pacquiao V.

I think I read somewhere that Marquez or Bradley vs Floyd would be hard to make with Top Rank promoting Bradley and Marquez.

Brandon Rios name I have heard thrown around last week as a potential foe for Pac, so maybe Marquez will fight him. I expect some variation of those 4 as they all box with Top Rank

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

Well, Marquez vs Rios was on course for July this year before Rios looked like shit and won a robbery over Richard Abril. Rios looked great at 140 against Alvarado though. Marquez vs Rios would be a hell of a fight.

I think you're right. Pacquiao, Marquez, Bradley and Rios will most likely be paired off somehow. And Mayweather probably fights Guerrero.

I'm still waiting on the Angel Hernandez factor coming back to haunt Marquez. I won't feel completely at ease about his win until the dust has settled, so to speak. The fact that a relatively small fighter who isn't known for his one punch KO power managed to do something that both Miguel Cotto and Antonio Margarito couldn't doesn't sit well with me at all.

I won't judge Marquez as things stand, but I really hope we don't see another twist in the story.

• Paid Members

hmmm, i dont think so Dave. They covered Hernandez in the 24/7 series, i don't think Marquez or his camp would be stupid enough to go anywhere near a performance enhancer with Hernandez around, surely athletes involved with the man get singled out when it comes to testing? if Marquez has done something he's gotta be expecting to get caught.

It aint like Hernandez is just a drug pusher either is it? he's still a strength and conditioning coach at the end of the day.

• Paid Members

Yeah, just because Heredia has a dodgy past and that's what he's known for doesn't mean that every fighter he works with cheats. As Ebb says, it surely makes it less likely if anything because it brings more scrutiny on them.

Tyson, Gatti and Judah all worked with Panama Lewis years after the Resto/Collins incident but it didn't mean they'd tamper with gloves and wraps either.

Plus, like I said, the KO punch wasn't all strength and power. He timed it perfectly, placed it perfectly and Pacquiao ran into it making the force of the shot that much greater. Margarito and Cotto are more powerful than Marquez but they don't have the speed and timing of Marquez to make their shots land at the right time. And Margarito in particular was a one eyed punching bag by the time he fought Pacquiao.

Pacquiao was able to beat bigger fighters with his speed and pace and the fact a lot of them had to drain themselves to make 147 has to be a factor also. He never had these advantages against Marquez.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Thing with Pac is he looked in best shape his been in ages. His speed was frightening at times. Still think he is the biggest threat to Floyd but i'm all for Rios-Pacman.

Rios as shit defense but he can take punches and power them back.

• Paid Members

If we do see Pacquiao vs Marquez V down the road then I'll be interested to hear what excuses Freddie Roach has for the KO. I like Roach but he always has an excuse.

This time though, all the talk going in was that Manny's distractions were behind him, best shape of his life, training camp in order, marriage back on track, focused, motivated etc etc. If we believe the talk beforehand then Marquez KO'd the best Manny Pacquiao there is.

Anyway, I didn't like the undercard too much. Gamboa's fight was good, he looked rusty at times and Farenas made a much better fight of it than expected, it was good. The first 2 fights though, Fortuna didn't live up to what I'd been hearing and Vazquez vs Gesta was shite.

Thank fuck for Manny and Juan Manuel, or as Bob Arum calls him, One Manual Marquez. One Manual.