Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
I find myself very interested in the Seth Mitchell/Johnathan Banks fight on the Broner undercard. I think it should go a ways to telling how good Seth Mitchell is. I've seen Banks a lot as he's one of Wlad's sparring partners (he actually worked the corner last weekend and ran Wlad's camp in Manny Stewart's absence) and pops up on a lot of Klit undercards. He's a pretty slick boxer and at times looks very, very good.Other times he seems to be lacking something and can look almost disinterested. He can sometimes look great and terrible all in the same fight.

Fuck i didn't make the connection that Banks was Wlad's trainer on Saturday.

He is meant to be taking over from Manny isn't he.

Can't see it working like with him being a "Average*" active boxer and training World champions on side.

*Never seen him fight to be fair.

On the Warren front i haven't seen him around for a bit seems to be his son.

Edited by Fox Piss

• Paid Members

Yeh Francis seems to be taking over in terms of being there on the night.

Anyone read Frank Warrens column in the paper today? He tried to pick apart Carl Froch's career schievments, suggesting that his recent string of opponents isnt as impressive as people make out. Even suggesting he fought a shell of the Mikel Kessler that Joe Calzaghe beat. Complete nonsense.

• Paid Members

As Steve Collins is one of the Sky pundits tonight I decided to look his record up on BoxRec, and I ended up looking at the records of some of his contemporaries as well. From Collins I got to Mike McCallum (Collins lost to him by unanimous decision in a WBA World middleweight title challenge back in '90). From McCallum I got to James Toney (who beat McCallum by unanimous decision back in '97) and from Toney I got to Michael Nunn (Toney won his first world title by stopping Nunn back in 1991; Toney was actually behind on the cards when he got the stoppage in the eleventh round).

I knew Nunn had got himself into some trouble in the early 00's and got a hefty sentence. I wondered if he was getting released anytime soon. So, I looked him up on the Federal Bureau of Prisons Inmate Locator as I knew it was an in an FBI sting where he came a cropper. According to the Federal Bureau of Prisons Inmate Locator Michael Nunn is not getting out anytime soon. His Actual or Projected Release Date is January 3, 2024.

I knew Nunn had got himself into some trouble in the early 00's and got a hefty sentence.

On August 6, 2002, at a hotel in his hometown of Davenport, Iowa, Nunn was arrested after paying an undercover agent $200 for one kilogram of cocaine, which had a street value of $24,000. In May 2003, He pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to distribute cocaine. The following January, Nunn was sentenced to 292 months in federal prison by U.S. District Judge William Gritzer, who agreed to a higher sentencing guideline after considering Nunn's long history in drug trafficking and the likelihood he used a firearm during drug deals.

During the three-day sentencing hearing, prosecutors called witnesses who testified about Nunn's drug activity dating back to 1993. Nunn, who accepted responsibility for buying drugs in August 2002, denied his involvement in drug trafficking. He pointed out that several of the witnesses were in prison and could have their sentences reduced for providing testimony.

Nunn, who was defiant throughout the hearing, accused government lawyers of lying and scheming against him. "You guys haven't shown me nothing," Nunn said in his statement to the judge. "Where are your facts, Mr. Prosecutor?"[8]

Nunn is now inmate number 11772-030 at the United States Penitentiary (USP) in Leavenworth, Kansas. His scheduled release date is June 16, 2024.[9]

That's one hell of a fall from grace.

Edited by Dr Reefer

BBC are saying Froch has got a 3 fight plan before he wants to retire. Bute in Canada, Kessler in the UK and then Ward in the US. He looked good again but Mack was nowhere near his level. He was done after the first round, mouth wide open, sucking air and holding on.

Bellew looked strong dominating his fight. That nasty cut above his eye could of changed things but his opponent was way too cautious. Bellew helped that by slowing down, boxing his own style and letting the cut settle down a bit. From the final punch stats, Bolonti only landed 40 punches all fight.

Broner easily took down DeMarco. I thought DeMarco might have showed a bit more ring savvy but he just seemed to get sucked in to Broner's game. I didn't get why DeMarco kept trying to fight up close, he was getting blasted left to right and then would tuck back in close and get hit with more shots. He had the bigger reach advantage, he should of fought from a distance. I can't see may people wanting to fight Broner and those who do will have a hard time stopping him.

All Access: Cotto v Trout Episode 1

HBO 24/7: Pacquiao v Marquez Episode 1

• Paid Members

Fucking hell Broner looks scarily good. I thought it could be hype but he looks deadly in the ring. Just seems to be in control at all times.

Froch/Mack was a horrible miss match. Hopefully he gets the 3 match theory that many believe is the plan. He ain't beaten Ward though.

Bellew did what he had to do. Thought everbody went a bit OTT on the praise though. His opponent wasn't a threat at all.

Mitchell/Banks was a ace little 2 rounder. Both came across very well after the fight. Will be looking forward to seeing both again. Mitchell was always going to lose a match he is way too crude but he will always be a threat.

Edited by Fox Piss

• Paid Members

Can't really add much to what's been said already. An enjoyable bunch of fights at the weekend.

Froch made easy work of Mack. I'd like to see them 3 fights. Froch vs Kessler 1 was a hell of a fight the first time and I've wanted to see it again ever since. I also don't see him beating Ward. It was pretty evident in the first time that Ward had the measure of him and I don't see much that Froch can do different a second time. It would be interesting to see how Froch would approach it though. If he did somehow win though, they'd be 1-1. Surely that would open up talks for a rubber match?

Broner looked outstanding.

Thanks for posting these. I keep forgetting just how close these 2 fights are now. I'm going to rewatch the first 3 Pacman/Marquez fights before they fight again. Any excuse. I love watching them fight each other.

I'm hearing a lot of good stuff about Pacquiao for this training camp. Freddie Roach has been saying Manny himself made the decision to have his whole camp in the US this time rather than flying back and forth to the Philippines like he usually does. Said he's fired up and seems more focused than ever.

No doubt Marquez will be motivated as well. He feels like he's been robbed more than once against Manny and at 39 the clock is ticking and he knows it. There's always the risk that he'll show up and look like an old man one day but if he looks like he did in the last fight he'll give Manny a run for his money again.

Cotto vs Trout's a funny one. Cotto, even though he's coming off a loss, raised his stock in a way with his performance against Floyd. Trout's a good fighter but I thought Cotto would get a bigger name to be honest. Still looking forward to it though.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Few bits and pieces that are worth watching...

James Toney vs Gerald McClellan sparring at the Kronk in 1990

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...p;v=rds2-iNML00

Interesting to watch. Never seen it before. I wish that fight would have happened around 93/94. Could have been fantastic.

Good new interview with Lisa McClellan here

HBO's tribute to Emanuel Steward

Excellent short Nigel Benn vs Michael Watson ITV preview

Great stuff.

• Paid Members

i saw the Froch/Mack result in the pub Saturday night on the news which annoyed me...dont think i missed much of a fight, but you gotta credit Froch for just taking care of business, so many times you'll see a fighter cruise through such a challenge, Froch got in there and proved that Mack didn't belong in there with him, great job.

Adrien Broner is the fucking nuts. Saving the fame going to his head i can't see anything that can stop him from becoming the biggest name in boxing within a few years. Despite going up a weight division he just looked so much stronger than De Marco, i think De Marco thought he could stand in the pocket and rough Broner up but that backfired badly...that f'n should-roll defence when performed effectively almost makes a fight unfair, guys are so hard to hit and he just throws everything perfectly from behind it. Amazing performance.

Seth Mitchell got derailed in spectacular fashion, but he still made a fan out of me. It's great to see a heavyweight that goes in there to do damage and do damage early, he went after Banks and was doing well until he missed a wild uppercut, Banks countered and that was the beginning of the end. Still, there's nothing wrong with having an exciting heavtweight around. Interestingly Banks didn't seem against the idea of fighting Wladamir Klitschko (who he know trains).

• Paid Members

Question for anyone purchasing the Hatton fight Saturday, i just went through my sky guide to Box Office and selected the fight:

it says 'checking purchasing infomation', then i press enter now ive gone back to the original box office page but a little timer clock symbol has appeared next to the Hatton listing, does this mean ive purchased it? i aint ordered from box office in years.

i wanna find out because ill ring Primetime if it hasn't worked.

Question for anyone purchasing the Hatton fight Saturday, i just went through my sky guide to Box Office and selected the fight:

it says 'checking purchasing infomation', then i press enter now ive gone back to the original box office page but a little timer clock symbol has appeared next to the Hatton listing, does this mean ive purchased it? i aint ordered from box office in years.

i wanna find out because ill ring Primetime if it hasn't worked.

Usually, thats the little reminder indicator. Although you need to have registered with Primetime in the past in order to buy through your Sky planner. If you have, then you've definitely brought it.