Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

haha HeavyT is close.

First fight you had a fight that should of got stopped 3 rounds before the finish.

Second fight i think you had a crazy nobhead not interested in boxing just pissing about.

Third fight was awful. Hugging galore.

4th was decent at a low-level.

Main event grated on me.

Best thing was Buncy pissing about.

i look forward to watching that chacon limon fight cheers.

I watched the barry mcguigan documentary on itv4 and thought it was brilliant, him v pedrosa is the first match i really remember watching live as a kid, with my parents being born one in the north and the other quite near the border on the south i was always aware of the political issues going on in ireland and have great respect for mcguigan not wearing either flag and endorsing himself to most of the north and the south during his run. He seemed such a respectful young chap with his Mr Eastwood catchphrase, i do remember that song as well.

I find his career does mirror hattons somewhat, to hugely popular young pressure fighters, who won the title of ageing greats, eventually lost the titles, fell out with their managers, ended up in court and both eventually making a comeback.

I watched the witter gavin fight and it was as i expected very very boring, i did think gavin would win on pts and he did, i just think being 10 yrs younger he should have upped the pace from the start. I'm not at all convinced by gavin either, nothing he has shown me so far puts him reaching above domestic level, i may be wrong. I do get fed up with boxers who have bad performances recently continually going on about personal problems outside of the ring, that may be a bit harsh but i think it is used as an excuse nowadays for poor performances or boxers being shown that they are not as good as they thught they were.

The whole gavin witter card was shit - that bloke from scunthorpe is a top cock, the footie hooligan who was fighting on the card, i think he fought the good looking italian chap frank bulogni or whatever his name is last time.

I watched bute lastnight and he didnt look good at all, while he was fighting at light heavy and an undefeated fighter he should have done better, the bloke only had 14 or so fights and made bute look scared at times with all his holding, the last round saved bute somewhat from what was a very poor performance in my eyes, i will be very suprised if he does fight froch next as on that perdormance froch would do more of the sme to him.

the Wladimer fight is on espn next sat night at 10pm and i thin cleverly is on boxnation later on - does anyone know if he has an opponent yet?

• Paid Members
i look forward to watching that chacon limon fight cheers.

It's fantastic. Bobby Chacon was a terrific fighter to watch.

Chacon.Bobby3.jpg

I only discovered his fights I think when Taylorslade was recommending a fight of his on here a while back. And I've gone back and watched a few of his fights over the last year or so, he was a really exciting fighter to watch with an interesting and pretty tragic life story.

His wife tried to get him to retire from Boxing and when he carried on she committed suicide by shooting herself. That was not long before the 4th Limon fight I think. His 17 year old son was murdered shortly after he retired as well. Really sad story.

He's 60 now and last I read of him he suffers from some form of dementia these days. But every time I see a picture or read anything about him he seems so happy and full of life. It's amazing when you think about what he's gone through.

o881a8.jpg

Great bloke.

As for his Boxing career, like I said he was such a fun fighter to watch. He was basically Gatti before there was Gatti in my opinion.

I'll post this link to Chacon-Limon IV again because it deserves it. For anyone who can't be arsed to go back a page...

Chacon vs Rafael 'Bazooka' Limon IV (Ring Magazine 1982 Fight Of The Year)

Some other Chacon stuff you need to see;

Chacon vs Cornelius Boza-Edwards II (Ring Magazine 1983 Fight Of The Year)

The two above FOTY's were back to back as well. Both incredible, incredible fights.

Chacon vs Danny Lopez (1974)

Part 1 -

Part 2 -

Part 3 -

Another stunner of a fight. Absolute belter and shows a more technical side of Chacon's game.

Here's a great piece HBO did on the Chacon-Lopez fight.

Larry Merchant sits down with him and talks about the Lopez fight, his career and life after Boxing. It also covers the death of his wife, his brain damage, his son's death, losing his money and all sorts.

You can still see in the video that his wife's death still haunts him. Loved the footage of Chacon and Lopez's reunion at the Hall of Fame. Nice to see stuff like that.

Seriously, give some of this stuff a look if you haven't seen it. Great fights and an interesting, if a bit morbid, story.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Been watching last night's Bunce Boxing Hour and he was saying there were rumours that Kirkland Laing had died. Thankfully turned out to be false but he is in a care home now apparently.

Laing's remembered as maybe the biggest example of squandered boxing talent to come from the UK. He upset Roberto Duran in the early 80s and disappeared for a year without trace and came back skint. He returned to boxing but never reached that level again.

Can't post the link at the minute but there's a great little 10 minute piece on Laing on Youtube from Bunce's old Setanta show. He tracks down Laing and finds him hanging around the street drinking in the afternoon with a beard that makes Kimbo's look like a teenager's bum fluff beard in comparison.

It's a really interesting story.

Cleverly's opponent is Shawn Hawk Mr Lawrence. Didn't know about the Wlad fight being on ESPN. I hope this is the start of them getting more boxing on there besides the Friday Night Fights stuff.

• Paid Members
haha HeavyT is close.

First fight you had a fight that should of got stopped 3 rounds before the finish.

Second fight i think you had a crazy nobhead not interested in boxing just pissing about.

Third fight was awful. Hugging galore.

4th was decent at a low-level.

Main event grated on me.

Best thing was Buncy pissing about.

haha, i wondered where the 'wild' thing came from :) the small domestic Boxnation's cards are shit...the thing is, the channel is priding itself on showing the whole thing from beginning till end to give the up and coming fighters a platform to perform, the problem is that the fights are 90% of the time horribly mismatched and it leaves Buncey and co. apologising for what the viewers are watching, it's all abit weird.

...no talk of the Marco Huck/Firat Arslan fight though from Saturday night? that was 12 round dog-fight, a real macho style fight, two guys not willing to give an inch...i think Huck's clear path to victory was to stay off the ropes and box from range but he allowed Aslan to press him backwards near enough the whole fight. I was scoring it round by round but i probably had Arslan winning by 4-5 rounds, i just thought his constant pressure won him the fight.

I'm a bit late getting on the Marco Huck train and missed his wars with Povetkin, Ofalabi, but it's clear why he's abit of a cult favorite...the commentary allerted how he's a guy that does everything the hard way, and whilst's that's not good for the boxer it's usually great for the fans :)

• Paid Members
...no talk of the Marco Huck/Firat Arslan fight though from Saturday night? that was 12 round dog-fight, a real macho style fight, two guys not willing to give an inch...i think Huck's clear path to victory was to stay off the ropes and box from range but he allowed Aslan to press him backwards near enough the whole fight. I was scoring it round by round but i probably had Arslan winning by 4-5 rounds, i just thought his constant pressure won him the fight.

I'm a bit late getting on the Marco Huck train and missed his wars with Povetkin, Ofalabi, but it's clear why he's abit of a cult favorite...the commentary allerted how he's a guy that does everything the hard way, and whilst's that's not good for the boxer it's usually great for the fans :)

Yeah I didn't mention it because I hadn't got round to watching it. But my mate went and texted me to big the fight up and gave away the result the plank. I still haven't watched it but I've got it ready on my Sky box. I'll probably watch it tonight.

I love Captain Huck, he's just great to watch. His style is far from pretty but he's such a tough hard nosed bastard it's impossible not to enjoy his fights and root for him.

• Paid Members

Carmel Basilio has died at 85. Yeah a good innings but a shit piece of news all the same. Proper boxing legend and Hall of Famer. Traded wins and losses with Sugar Ray Robinson in all time classic fights and was generally known as one of the toughest in the game as well as a really good bloke with it.

This is one of the greatest boxing photos I've ever seen...

BasilioAction.r.JPG

RIP.

In other news, Scott Harrison is headed back for another 4 years of Porridge stemming from a 2007 assault case. Just when it looked like his life was getting back on track. He's meant to be going to appeal. He's a case of really wasted talent, a great fighter but seems intent to throw it all away with stupid decisions.

Seems a bit shitty that he's being jailed now for a crime 5 years ago which I'm sure he'd already been to court before over but it's his own doing I suppose. This is surely curtains for his boxing career now if the appeal comes to nowt.

Edited by wandshogun09

In other news, Scott Harrison is headed back for another 4 years of Porridge stemming from a 2007 assault case. Just when it looked like his life was getting back on track. He's meant to be going to appeal. He's a case of really wasted talent, a great fighter but seems intent to throw it all away with stupid decisions.

Seems a bit shitty that he's being jailed now for a crime 5 years ago which I'm sure he'd already been to court before over but it's his own doing I suppose. This is surely curtains for his boxing career now if the appeal comes to nowt.

That's a real shame, as he has gotten himself together, and to see him pay the price for a crime that happened over five years ago is harsh.

Great Marvin Hagler tribute. Theres quite a few of them on the links but i like this one to the Rocky tune. I think if i had have been around at the time Hagler would have been my favourite. He looked so cool and predicted an aura of menace second to none. I don't know how the WWE say someone cannot be world champ due to their size etc...when look at people like Hagler, Duran, Tyson etc....

On a side note, i am getting bored of seeing Froch's crooked nose all over ringside every week. I know Rickys going to be on primetime but they still should have him on the show instead of filling half hour with amatuer stuff and the undercard of the Bute fight.

Theres a Tyson special next thursday which should be good, although Tyson can be uncomfortable to watch at times and i dont want to see Big Johnny sucking him off again like he did before, nearly crying and shaking his hand telling him he saved his life - in the build up to the haye klitchko fight.

I as thinking as well that Cleverley needs to move on from Frank Warren, he is at the prime years of his boxing and hes fighting some bloke i have never heard of who i think has lst 4 of his last 5 - they keep dangling the carrot of hopkins as well, what a load of shit, even if he beats hopkins it means nothing, he's nearly 50 and hasnt looked decent in years. He needs to move on and fight cloud or shumenov, even pascal - he is at that weight now isnt he. I would fancy him against all of them at the moment due to his speed and punch resistance.

• Paid Members

yeh Cleverly's rise is frustratingly slow, i think they pumped the breaks after the Bellew fight.

anyone watching the Macarinelli-McKenzie fight tonight? for years now people have feared for Enzo's health, he was dropped hard against McPhilbin last time out yet somehow survived, so what does he go and do? sign up to fight one of the hardest punchers in the division...dont blink.

• Paid Members

Marvin Hagler was the dog's bollocks. I didn't start watching his fights until later on but I've become a huge fan over the years going back over his stuff in his prime. I love his style, no fucking about. He was an animal.

hagler1.jpg

Always loved this Hagler tribute set to Jimi Hendrix 'Voodoo Child';

Hagler, Benn, Gatti and Duran are my four favourite boxers ever.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Wladimir Klitschko v Mariusz Wach is on ESPN UK tomorrow night at 10 pm. Them having the fight strikes me as a bit random. With the exception of Friday Night Fights have they ever showed any live/current boxing before? I can't recall them doing so.

Edited by nfc90210

• Paid Members

Well Enzo got stopped in round 2, in what was a shoddy decision by the referee. Ian John Lewis clearly though we were about to see another x-rated ko and jumped in to save Enzo but it was horribly premature, Enzo was playing a dangerous game by allowing a power puncher tontee off against the ropes but when the ref jumped i he wasnt hurt. I dont wanna be to critical of the ref, as he was putting Enzo's safety first, but from his reaction afterwards you could see he knew he got it wrong.

I feel abot gutted for Enzo after all thats been said about him recently,:it wss shaping into a good fight as well...rematch.

...and that body punch in the main event, ouch!