Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Ward vs Dawson turned out to be a pretty good fight, as far as one sided fights can be. Dawson just couldn't cope, I thought he would take Ward to the judges and ultimately lose fairly straight forward. But Ward outclassed him. Dawson had no answer for the left hook and once Ward knocked him down I thought Dawson deflated and it was just a matter of time. A lot is made of Carl Froch fighting nothing but top level opponents and the same has to be said for Ward. Even more impressive is how he makes it look almost effortless at times. DeMarco vs Molina was an anti-climax. I was expecting a good battle there and it was over before it got going. Less than a minute. And I thought the stoppage was a little harsh. Not terrible because Molina wasn't doing much to get out of the position but I think the ref could have stepped in and called it a knockdown and gave Molina the count. Fair play to DeMarco, he did what he had to do but it was a bit of a disappointing ending. Anyone catch the Vitali fight on BoxNation? What's the chances of getting the Haye fight on after that? Vitali got the win as expected, his defence didn't look up to much tonight I thought and Haye probably fancies his chances. Would be the biggest fight to go out on for Vitali and would be a big payday for both. I'd like to see it.

• Paid Members

outside of Mayweather, Andre Ward has to be considered the p4p best in the world now, that was a systematic destruction. Dawson just couldn't win anywhere, the sequence where Ward destroyed Dawson on the inside around round 8 was beautiful. He's making great fighters look foolish in there. The Klitchsko/Charr fight i thought was warming up nicely. Charr seemed intent on allowing Vitali to dictate the pace early and he was finding success when he would have them bursts forward. People will question whether or not Charr wasn't doing much because he was getting outclassed but i genuinely think he was saving it for later in the fight, his post fight reaction told me that he genuinely thought he had a chance. Still the Boxnation guys said it best, Charr's stock probably got raised, he didn't get destroyed and the fight was stopped on cuts, he can go out and bag another quality fight now...the talk was of him coming over here to fight someone. Vitali looked bad though, he looks clumsly and plodding, he was getting caught on the backfoot and his power didn't seem to be there. If Haye can bag a fight with him now i think he could take him out.

Here's the Matthysse vs Olusegun Ajose fight. Full on, non-stop action for ten rounds. Credit to Ajose for sticking in there and keep coming back, but he was getting him with some very powerful shots. He was throwing some big bombs too but Matthyse just ate them up and belted him back twice as hard.

http://youtu.be/2bqPaOnDyvk

If Matthysse gets to fight Danny Garcia next, I think he could easily beat him.

• Paid Members
Vitali looked bad though, he looks clumsly and plodding, he was getting caught on the backfoot and his power didn't seem to be there. If Haye can bag a fight with him now i think he could take him out.

Yeah I think he could be ripe for the picking for Haye at the minute. I always felt like Vitali would be a more winnable fight for Haye than Wlad and Vitali looked a bit disinterested and old at times the other night. If he came in like that against a fast heavyweight with KO power like Haye he could be in for a rough night.

I think Vitali would be sharper for Haye to be fair, and more motivated. But if Haye is ever in with a shot of beating a Klitschko this might be his best option.

Whether the fight happens or not is another question. I think it probably will though, it's the biggest payday out there for Vitali now and I'm sure he'd love to end his career by beating Haye.

Here's the Matthysse vs Olusegun Ajose fight. Full on, non-stop action for ten rounds. Credit to Ajose for sticking in there and keep coming back, but he was getting him with some very powerful shots. He was throwing some big bombs too but Matthyse just ate them up and belted him back twice as hard.

Watched this last night. Great fight, best fight I saw of all the stuff on the weekend. I'd like to see Matthyse vs Garcia as well.

• Paid Members

yeh looks like it's official, i got mixed feelings on it. He's certaintly not too old to do it, i think some people assume Ricky's alot older than he actually is. Maybe the time off will be exactly what he needed, the worry is he let himself go pretty bad after the Pacquiao defeat, will he be able to get back in proper fighting condition. If he does i hope for this second career he lives the life of a fighters and stops the ballooning between fights, he cant afford to that anymore.

• Paid Members

Yeah it's not a question of age, he's only 33. But if he's serious about a comeback, which I'm guessing he is, then he defo does need to knock the Ricky Fatton stuff on the head between camps. I know it was part of his appeal but I'm sure his fans would rather him give himself the best possible chance by staying in at least decent shape between fights.

I've seen twats taking the piss out of Hatton but he only lost to Mayweather and Pacquiao. There's no shame in that, he had a great career.

If he comes back I hope he doesn't stick around too long. 4 or 5 fights maybe. He's obviously not satisfied to end his career on the Pacquiao loss so if he can come back and go out on better terms fair play.

Wonder who his comeback,fight will be? Wasn't Malignaggi brought up as a possibility recently? Wouldn't be surprised to see Hatton vs Khan down the line either. I just hope he can get back in proper fighting shape. 3 1/2 away is almost a lifetime in Boxing.

My thoughts are the same as wandshogun09. I can see why Ricky wants to come back not wanting the BRUTAL Pacquiao KO to be his last moment in the ring. I'd rather he didn't, there's nothing else for him to prove plus his only two losses were against Mayweather and Pacquiao.

Edited by The Natural

Yeah it's not a question of age, he's only 33. But if he's serious about a comeback, which I'm guessing he is, then he defo does need to knock the Ricky Fatton stuff on the head between camps. I know it was part of his appeal but I'm sure his fans would rather him give himself the best possible chance by staying in at least decent shape between fights.

I've seen twats taking the piss out of Hatton but he only lost to Mayweather and Pacquiao. There's no shame in that, he had a great career.

If he comes back I hope he doesn't stick around too long. 4 or 5 fights maybe. He's obviously not satisfied to end his career on the Pacquiao loss so if he can come back and go out on better terms fair play.

Wonder who his comeback,fight will be? Wasn't Malignaggi brought up as a possibility recently? Wouldn't be surprised to see Hatton vs Khan down the line either. I just hope he can get back in proper fighting shape. 3 1/2 away is almost a lifetime in Boxing.

Sadly I have been told he was seen out in Manchester on the piss last week, hardly ideal if he is meant to be fighting in November.

It won't be Malignaggi, he has a fight set. I would like it to be Junior Witter, I do not think his first fight back will be against anyone like Brook or Khan, but that will be the end goal.

I will be going hopefully.

• Paid Members

Hope thats bollocks about him drinking. Wouldn't mind finally seeing Hatton vs Witter actually. Lets be honest Hatton's comeback is the draw, it doesn't matter too much who he's fighting his first fight back. Hatton vs Witter at the MEN would be good, especially if they play up the history between them.

Might try to get tickets actually. I'd like to see Hatton fight live once.

I have also heard other stuff, I read on another forum from a novice who trains with him that he has only got drunk once in 6 months, so who knows.

I did not go the Manchester Stadium fight or his big fight with Tzysu, so I want to see him at least once live, even if it is a past his prime version. I have heard that Munroe/Quigg 2 will be on the undercard and it could be shown on ITV, which would be great as it used to pull big numbers on there a few years back.

• Paid Members

That would be great. Hatton could carry an ITV show for sure. One of the most popular British Boxers ever. The public really took to him like they did Bruno years before. Moreso really when you look at the crazy amount of Brits who flew out to Vegas to watch him, a lot who didn't even have tickets they basically flew out to watch the weigh ins and watch the fight in a pub. The following he had was mental.

I'll give Hatton the benefit of the doubt regarding the rumours. There will always be rumours both negative and positive when a guy is coming out of retirement.

That would be great. Hatton could carry an ITV show for sure. One of the most popular British Boxers ever. The public really took to him like they did Bruno years before.

Yeah him and Bruno did have the heart of the public.

Something Lennox Lewis and Joe Calzaghe never had as much, arguably both of them have had far better careers than Ricky as well. Hatton gets a lot of respect for fighting Pac and Mayweather in their primes as they were the best out there, Lewis and Calzaghe best wins did come mainly against fighters who were past their best (Tyson, Holyfield, Hopkins and Jones) or not that well known by the public (Kessler)

Ricky also appealed to the working class with his down to earth attitude and broad Manchester accent, people could relate to him as a real peoples champion.

Edited by jimufctna24

Anyone catch the Vitali fight on BoxNation? What's the chances of getting the Haye fight on after that? Vitali got the win as expected, his defence didn't look up to much tonight I thought and Haye probably fancies his chances. Would be the biggest fight to go out on for Vitali and would be a big payday for both. I'd like to see it.

Vitali doesn't seem to give a shit about boxing anymore, and with him being 41 and very heavily involved in politics he probably doesn't have to be. Word on the street is that if his party win an election next month he'll be hanging the gloves up for good.

Haye's banter is still as shite as it was before he made a roaring cunt of himself against Wladimir. He thinks he can beat a part-time politician who's ten years older than him and who's fought almost fifty fights over sixteen years?

Vitali would do well to finish up now if boxing isn't his main concern anymore.