Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

anyone catch the Showtime Boxing card on BoxNation saturday night?

2 oldies, Winky Wright and Antonio Tarver both had entertaining fights, Wright coming up short (and retiring shortly after) and Tarver's with Lateef Kayode ending in a draw. Both were fun to watch.

• Paid Members

Yeah Duran's book is excellent, well worth your time. Loads of background stuff about his life and career and lots of detail on his fights too. One of the better boxing biographies out there I reckon.

The author's just bought out another book on Alexis Arguello which I'm hoping is of a similar standard.

• Awards Moderator

Once you're done with Duran's book, I'd recommend Four Kings by George Kimball, which reviews the Duran/Hagler/Leonard/Hearns era. My Dad is a huge Sugar Ray fan and passed this to me ages ages and I've read it a good few times. All nine fights between them are covered and it also goes in to great detail about how the scraps between them all pulled boxing out of a slump. Great read.

• Paid Members

I'll second Four Kings. It's pretty much 4 mini biographies in one book but they're all linked obviously. Great book. I've said this before but I'll also highly recommend Dark Trade: Lost In Boxing and War, Baby. Both brilliant reads.

Sugar Ray's also got his own autobiography out now aswell Frankie. Might be a good present for Fathers Day ;)

• Awards Moderator
I'll second Four Kings. It's pretty much 4 mini biographies in one book but they're all linked obviously. Great book. I've said this before but I'll also highly recommend Dark Trade: Lost In Boxing and War, Baby. Both brilliant reads.

Sugar Ray's also got his own autobiography out now aswell Frankie. Might be a good present for Fathers Day ;)

You absolute diamond! That's his present sorted in an instant. Top man, thanks :thumbsup:

• Paid Members

Pacquiao vs Bradley this weekend then. Who's everyone picking?

I'm sticking with Pacman but I'm starting to wonder the closer it gets. With all this talk of Manny's personal life, marriage problems and shit I'm starting to think Bradley could be catching him at the perfect time. Bradley's a much better fighter than the casual viewers think and I'm thinking there could be money to be made betting on him. A few of my mates who only watch the odd big fight are on the Pacman bandwagon but they don't really know anything about Bradley.

Then again, before almost every Pac fight people talk up all his distractions, problems he has in his personal life, rifts in his camp and stuff and then on fight night he goes in and does the business.

I dunno what to think. I'll stick with a Pacquiao points win I think but I might put a little bet on Bradley just in case.

I'm going with Pacquiao, and I'll certainly be hoping he wins. I still have some faint hope that we eventually see the Mayweather/Pacquiao fight that we all want, and that will only happen if both fighters keep winning.

• Paid Members

Bradley does seem a lot more hungry in the early 24/7 episodes. Reminds me of the opening montage from Rocky 3 where Rocky is living a life thats more outside Boxing than in, and Clubber Lang is just doing it hardcore in the gym preparing for the fight.

Still think Pacman will have just enough to win though.

Still think Pacman will have just enough to win though.

Unless Bradley shoves Freddie Roach to the floor before they head to the ring, causing him to fall into ill health that takes Manny's mind off the fight, of course ;)