Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

Well I watched the documentary last night and was gripped the whole way through - was quite heartbreaking to watch at some points.

McClellan's former trainer came off as a complete piece of shit to me and from what the doc made out McClellan might as well have not had anyone in his corner on the night as none of the had a clue what to tell him - he was basically doing it all himself

Cotto is a real sportsman. He pretty much embodies everything that's good about boxing, and again, it's great to see him get the win.

Or he could embody everything that's bad about boxing in a completely different way.

How so?

Also, we have quite a decent weekend of boxing coming up;

James DeGale vs. Jose Guerrero (Super middleweight Division)

Amir Khan vs Lamont Peterson (Junior Welterweight Division for Khan's WBA/IBF titles)

Peterson should be a good test for Khan, although the main test in the junior welter division is undoubtedly Timothy Bradley.

Edited by David

• Paid Members

The Benn/McClellan doc was excellent. Agree with bry2j that Stan Johnson came off as a dickhead. He's one of them people who bursts into shouting at random points in a sentence aswell which is annoying as fuck. I didn't know what volume to have it at for risk of bursting an eardrum. "I wuz POURIN' da water on his HEEEAD an' he said 'feels like you pourin' water INSIIIDE mah HEEEAD". The twat. And still wearing that fucking sailor hat. The steroid accusations reeked of desperation. Like an excuse to blame something other than him and the ref being totally inept.

The reunion was moving. You could see it hit Benn hard. McClellan didn't look quite as bad as I expected. There's a video on Youtube from a few years ago and he looked worse in that to me. His sister came off better than I expected aswell. I thought she'd be a right bitch but seeing her talk I could understand her point of view more.

Really well done, more unseen footage from the fight than I exoected, Wonder what else the extended version will have,

• Paid Members

Watched the 2 Julio Cesar Chavez vs Meldrick Taylor fights this morning.

The first fight was one of the most dramatic in boxing history. Chavez was 68-0 going in and the first 9 rounds, Taylor deffo won at least 8 and probably all 9. He started to fade late on and Chavez was landing some hard shots but Taylor was still landing some great combos and it was clear he was on his way to upsetting the legend and pulling off a starmaking victory.

The end is one of the most controversial KO's ever. Personally I felt like Richard Steele should have let it go. After dominating the fight and the fact he got up and nodded when asked if he was okay should have been enough for Steele imo. Stopping it at 2:58 of the 12th was a heartbreaking way to lose for Taylor. 2 fucking seconds.

Here's the Legendary Nights programme which tells the story of that first fight

The second fight isn't talked about nearly as much but I actually thought this was a better fight than the first. It doesn't have the big story around it or the controversy but as a pure fight it's a very underrated fight and one that gets overshadowed by the first one. The rematch is more competitive from the off aswell.

PART 1 -

PART 2 -

Great fights. You can most likely find Chavez vs Taylor 1 on Youtube aswell.

• Paid Members
Well I watched the documentary last night and was gripped the whole way through - was quite heartbreaking to watch at some points.

McClellan's former trainer came off as a complete piece of shit to me and from what the doc made out McClellan might as well have not had anyone in his corner on the night as none of the had a clue what to tell him - he was basically doing it all himself

Problem I had with McClellan was that he hired his corner men and he must have knew they was shit just based on the fact they could not tape his hands. Your corner needs to have your heath as there 1st priority not winning the fight (remember what happened in Rocky 4), I would say all the corner men at that level would have been worried just on how he was sticking his gum shield out.

• Paid Members

what a classic Khan & Peterson served up tonight!

Two contrasting styles in the ring made for an absolute blistering fight, it was similar to the Cotto/Margarito fight from last weekend, but Peterson had much more success in pinning Khan against the ropes. Considering Lamont Peterson isn't considered a puncher, fucking hell he was digging in them shots.

Khan's camp will point to the point deduction's yet Jim Watt pointed out they were perfectly justified, i happened to think the Peterson knockdown in round 1 was a slip, so either way both guys lost points.

Probably my favorite fight of the year. It's a shame the majority of the British public don't really follow Amir Khan because he's been involved in two great fights in the last 2 years that the casual boxing fan probably haven't seen.

oh, i fucking hate Khan's bravado shit when he gets hit clean hough.

• Paid Members

Problem I had with McClellan was that he hired his corner men and he must have knew they was shit just based on the fact they could not tape his hands. Your corner needs to have your heath as there 1st priority not winning the fight (remember what happened in Rocky 4), I would say all the corner men at that level would have been worried just on how he was sticking his gum shield out.

the part where Benn met with McClellan and had to keep repeating his name was amongst the most heartbreaking things ive ever seen, the look on Benn's face was of a broken man, he was devastated. I watched it with my girlfriend and i had to battle to fight back tears.

Embarrassing from Khan after the fight, blaming the ref for the loss and saying he was fighting two people in there. He was constantly warned stop pushing but kept doing it and the cheap-shot after the ref told them to stop was inexcusable.

Peterson could also argue he was fighting two people in there, Khan & his ego. The cocky arms aloft pose saying you didn't hurt me and the trash-talk on the ropes. If Khan boxed his way out of trouble instead of leaning on the ropes and letting Peterson rain on him with repeated body blows & uppercuts pretending they didn't hurt, he would of faired much better.

The body shots really slowed Khan down and he couldn't get going again. His main weapon, his hand speed was demobilised and he basically just ran away from Peterson who was constantly stomping forward on the warpath. I wouldn't say Peterson was fighting dirty but he was brawling out there and Khan didn't know how to handle it. Peterson said in the post fight interview, plan A to match Khan wasn't working so they switched to plan B. When plan A wasn't working for Khan what did he switch to?

I'm glad Peterson won the fight, he looked like he wanted it more and was very humble in victory, immediately offering the rematch after the fight which was something he didn't have to do. The guy has had a very tough life so far and its an amazing story what he and Barry Hunter have accomplished. I also liked how he turned down the big money fight last year with Khan in England, to instead face off against Cayo in the IBF eliminator and then face Khan for less money in his home city.

Cotto is a real sportsman. He pretty much embodies everything that's good about boxing, and again, it's great to see him get the win.

Or he could embody everything that's bad about boxing in a completely different way.

How so?

Cotto's been hideously protected for most of his career until he could get paid retirement money for every fight. Not saying he's a bad guy or anything but he was 27-0 and a world champion before he fought anybody good. Even then, there's a few fights on the record (Gomez, Jennings, Mayorga and a fucked-up Judah at 147) which are blatantly for the cash. His record is exactly what's wrong with boxing, not what's right.