Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Say what you want, Tyson Fury does have entertaining fights. One of these days though when he's in with someone with real power, or with a really slick boxer, his defensive frailties are going to cost him bad. If he is ever going fulfil those big predictions he makes he's going to have to put in an awful lot of work. He's got power, but sometimes I think that he and people around him are drinking the kool aide. Some member of the public in the hype video before the fight said that he thought Fury was two fights away from being able to beat Wlad and Vitali. Mick Hennesy afterwards said that he thought that it was the Hagler/Hearns of the heavyweight division. Now granted it was an entertaining three round fight but it was in no way the same as Hagler/Hearns.

Also, for someone who is six foot nine Tyson Fury fights like a fucking retard.

Edited by nfc90210

Say what you want, Tyson Fury does have entertaining fights. One of these days though when he's in with someone with real power, or with a really slick boxer, his defensive frailties are going to cost him bad. If he is ever going fulfil those big predictions he makes he's going to have to put in an awful lot of work. He's got power, but sometimes I think that he and people around him are drinking the kool aide. Some member of the public in the hype video before the fight said that he though Fury was two fights away from being able to beat Wlad and Vitali. Mick Hennesy afterwards said that he thought that it was the Hagler/Hearns of the heavyweight division. Now granted it was an entertaining three round fight but it was in no way the same as Hagler/Hearns.

Also, for someone who is six foot nine Tyson Fury fights like a fucking retard.

Good points mate.

He needs someone who will be a positive and encouraging influence but who will also be honest and upfront and at times strict.

He could do with checking in at the Wild card gym.

• Paid Members

Fury has been dropped and rocked in two consecutive fights by guys not known as hard punchers, his defence is so bad that it allows these guys to tee off. It does make for some entertaining fights though, Tyson Fury is must-see car crash TV.

However, that shit at ringside needs to stop. It was like watching some illegal boxing event, Fury's pikey mates trying to storm the ring when he got dropped, then going fucking apeshit when he came back, it looked like a real dangerous atmosphere in there. I'd hate to know what would happen if Tyson loses.

Fucking scumbags.

For whats its worth I had the Pac-Man fight a draw 114-114. That said I did really want Pac-Man to win, so I may have been a bit biased with that scorecard, I will say Marquez put on a hell of a show last night!

Tyson Fury is still very young, it will be interesting to see how he grows as a fighter.

Edited by jimufctna24

Fury has been dropped and rocked in two consecutive fights by guys not known as hard punchers, his defence is so bad that it allows these guys to tee off. It does make for some entertaining fights though, Tyson Fury is must-see car crash TV.

However, that shit at ringside needs to stop. It was like watching some illegal boxing event, Fury's pikey mates trying to storm the ring when he got dropped, then going fucking apeshit when he came back, it looked like a real dangerous atmosphere in there. I'd hate to know what would happen if Tyson loses.

Fucking scumbags.

I wouldn't like being in the same arena when Tyson loses, which is going to happen soon, i reckon Price would knock him out if they get it on don't get me wrong tyson fury is great entertainment but will never be a world class fighter, a kiltschko would knock him out in 3 rounds.

Back to the crowd trouble, some boxing fans are morons. I went to see Khan fight up in Newcastle against Salita, and there was these pissed up Gerodies bout 10 of them ranging from about 19 to 23 in age and they started some Sunderland lads who looked right nasty fuckers, me and a couple of mates were stuck in the middle of an all out brawl that lasted a good few minutes before police and stewards tried to spilt it up (all that got sent was 3 women coppers and a couple of skinny stewards what they were meant to do i don't know cause the sunderland lads were big cunts). After that the crowd in my section went crazy and 3 or 4 different brawls broke out.

A couple of me mates went to Bellew vs Cleverly last month and he said there was hell on. Something has to get done about the crowd trouble because if not it is just gonna sacre of potential broadcasters and sponsers etc and it will be us the real fans that are going to miss out.

Fucking scumbags.

This the lot I read about not being quiet for the moment of silence for Joe Frazier?

• Paid Members

Yeah that was embarrassing. A tribute to an all time great like Frazier and you can hear the fucking Carling breathed, five chinned mob of wankers laughing and chatting away. Couldn't shut their mouths for 10 bastard seconds.

• Paid Members

Yeah Face Off was excellent. For anyone that hasn't seen it give it a look.

Also anyone that's not seen the first fight I'd try and track it down. It's been overshadowed by the controversy surrounding Margarito and the hand wraps scandal but there's no denying it was such a dramatic, exciting fight.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Been watching some old stuff lately and was reminded of Kirkland Laing.

The man has a fascinating story. He had some serious talent but often never fulfilled his potential or performed the way he was expected, supposedly down to problems with drink and drugs. Highlight of his career was when he scored a massive upset in the early 80s with a decision over Roberto Duran, but then he inexplicably fucked off for a year without trace. He came back to the ring but his massive opportunity coming off the Duran win was squandered and he never regained that momentum.

Probably one of the biggest wastes of talent in British boxing history. I'd love to hear Taylorslade's thoughts on Laing whenever he's next on the forum.

Last thing I heard about him was on the old Setanta Bunce's Boxing Hour a couple of years ago, Bunce tracked him down and he's now broke and living in a shithole with drink problems.

here's the vid

Now that's a fucking beard, it's marvelous. Had to chuckle at Buncey encouraging Kirk to give up the booze whilst swigging a can of Stella.

To make things even crazier, just after that Bunce bit above was filmed in the early 2000s, Laing fell from a balcony (or was pushed as some say) and was in a coma for a time. He released a book titled 'The Gifted One' a few years back but last time I looked it was unavailable/out of print most places.

Sad story.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members
id never heard of him, thanks for that. Boxing is full of so many tragic stories.

Yeah Laing's name rarely comes up anymore. I'd never heard of him either until that piece on Bunce's Setanta show around 2009. Found the video really interesting but very sad aswell. Especially when you see him in his younger days and then you see him now.

His life could have turned out a lot different if he'd been more sensible. Like he said, success came too easy for him at a young age. Apparently after the Duran win he just took the money and partied until it all ran out.

Another one of boxing's 'could have beens'

Derek Chisora fights Robert Helenious on the December 3rd, anyone know if boxnation are picking that shit up?

Fuck, Del Boy's busy, he only fought Friday. He came out in a Union Jack outfit to the Only Fools and Horses theme tune :)

I'm pretty sure this fight will be on Boxnation. They aired his fight on Friday and they seem to be getting most of the European fights lately. Just a guess but it makes sense.

Speaking of Chisora's fight on Friday, did anyone catch the main event of that show? Ovill McKenzie vs Jeff Evans. If not take a look at the video below. It doesn't take long. Brutal KO.

Derek Chisora fights Robert Helenious on the December 3rd, anyone know if boxnation are picking that shit up?

They are, its on the Povetkin v Boswell undercard which is a Sauerland show, and BN have a contract with them. Later that night they've got Cotto v Margarito as well, but it is the weekend after they encrypt, so you'll have to fork out for it.