Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
If 5"s coverage was so top notch, How come we got to see a blank screen from rounds 2 to 5 ? :rolleyes:

Well it was top notch for me because my screen didn't go blank once :p I thought they did a good job, never knew about it going blank in some parts of the country.

Thought Primetime did a good job with their coverage aswell all in all. I was a bit worried when I heard the absolute shiteness of the commentator on the Crolla fight but thought Benny Ricardo (his hair is quality) and Wayne McCullough were decent once the PPV kicked in. Would have preferred they left the HBO commentary on but it wasn't as bad as I expected.

Loved Bunce's line on Cortez aswell, something like "he looks old, he's gonna get someone killed. He looked like he'd just lost his bus pass and didn't know if he was wearing his nappy or not"

Cortez was utter shite.

• Paid Members
Mayweather is best to just stay retired. He's a joke. I know he's evasive and hard to hit, and he has the record to boast about, but he's slowly losing PPV appeal and I doubt that any fight outside of Pacquiao fight really matters.

Ortiz wasn't winning the fight, but Mayweather wasn't really troubling him either. He would most likely have won on points, but we'll never know.

I'm glad I didn't pay for it! :laugh:

I paid for it (went halves with my mate) and I was happy with what I got in all. 3 really exciting fights on the undercard, the main event was good while it lasted despite the weird finish but the shit at the end with Merchant was worth the coin alone for me. Someone needed to tell Floyd to fuck off for years.

Usually a big boxing fight ending like that I'd complain but as boxing shows go this wasn't a one fight card and I got my boxing fix elsewhere on the card.

• Paid Members
I don't know a thing about boxing, but I caught the Mayweather stuff in the news and checked it out. That Larry Merchant interview is absolutely amazing. And it's no wonder MMA is kicking the shit out of boxing.

How do you know it is kicking the shit out of boxing? You already admitted that you don't know shit about boxing so I suppose that explains it, but I'm sure you are going to tell me that it's common knowledge etc, but do you know the numbers? Of course you don't, you're just following a mis-conception. I've no problem with MMA, infact, two of my friends are contracted with the UFC, so I really do wish them the best of success, but while it's true that they (the UFC really) are doing good business with good houses, they are kicking the shit out of nothing. Boxing is doing very well. I know, it's been a "dead sport" for years now, although the PPV numbers from the last few years show that it's dying a very lucrative death.

Sad to see Tommy Morrisson in the mess he is today. While he was never dominant in the heavyweight division, he had a great boxer-puncher style and I always enjoyed watching him.

Edited by Taylorslade

• Moderators
How do you know it is kicking the shit out of boxing? You already admitted that you don't know shit about boxing so I suppose that explains it, but I'm sure you are going to tell me that it's common knowledge etc, but do you know the numbers?

No, I know the numbers. Hefty research for a book I was co-authoring and shipping around a while ago with a sports journalist. Unless it's suddenly taken an upswing in the past couple of years.

Anyway, surely the next generation of boxers are coming from a tiny little pool, when everyone and their mother is training MMA instead. Maybe I am wrong and that's just an arrogant assumption, but from your stereotypical Tyson style street kid to athletes who want to get into combat sports, the future generation of boxers must have shrunk really, really dramatically in the last five years.

That Morrison thing is crazy. It looks like there's 20 years between those two pics.

Edited by Woyzeck

• Paid Members

Haha I know what you mean S&P, I don't mind Merchant really but sometimes he's frustrating to listen to with how long it takes him to get to the point. And he comes out with some weird shit, like he doesn't know how to wrap up what he's saying so just throws in some quote he's read in a book or heard in a song or something.

He's alright though old Larry, Ive grown to enjoy his Whiskey fueled banter.

And yeah Foreman was a force behind the mic. He didn't take any shit of Lampley or Whiskey breath Merchant.

Edited by wandshogun09

Tommy Gunn looks like shit there. Hasn't he claimed to of recovered from hiv

He did when he wanted to fight MMA, however he refused to actually take a test that proved it, and proceeded to fight an MMA/boxing combination fight in a venue where there are no official athletic commissions to keep tabs on him.

Going by that latest photo I'd say the guy is suffering from something pretty serious.

• Paid Members
How do you know it is kicking the shit out of boxing? You already admitted that you don't know shit about boxing so I suppose that explains it, but I'm sure you are going to tell me that it's common knowledge etc, but do you know the numbers?

No, I know the numbers. Hefty research for a book I was co-authoring and shipping around a while ago with a sports journalist. Unless it's suddenly taken an upswing in the past couple of years.

What were these numbers then? Over the last four years, the PPV numbers have delivered.

From 2007 until 2011, the biggest fights ;

Mayweather Vs De La Hoya 2.4 million Domestic US PPV buys

Mayweather Vs Hatton 900,000 US buys, with 1.4 million UK buys (a massive number, especially given what the UK to US ratio would be, and at 5am makes it even more impressive)

Pacquiao Vs De La Hoya 1.25 million US buys

Pacquiao Vs Hatton 850,000 US buys, the UK total was at least 1 million.

Pacquiao Vs Cotto 1.25 million US buys

Mayweather Vs Marquez 1.05 million US buys

Mayweather Vs Mosley 1.4 million US buys

Pacquiao Vs Margarito 1.15 million US buys

Pacquiao Vs Mosley 1.3 million US buys

So from 2007, every PPV has went over the golden 1 million buys. The only ones under that - both Ricky Hatton fights - went well over the million mark when totalled with UK numbers, with the Mayweather fight going up to 2 million with UK and USA numbers.

In 2006, there was only one fight which approached the 1 million mark - De La Hoya Vs Mayorga, which brought in 925,000 buys. So looking at all of the evidence, it is obvious that boxing is more than healthy. A "dying sport" does not attract those numbers. I'm not doubting the UFC's drawing power, they have done brilliantly with Lesnar especially. They are two different sports with their own fan base, but they are also healthy competitors of eachother. I'm sure someone will point out that the UFC does good business more regular, but on the other side of the coin, boxing brings in a vast amount more in total revenue from ticket sales alone, and the boxing economy is set up differently to that of the UFC. Fighters in boxing are exposed on different platforms such as Friday night fights, boxing after dark, world championship boxing etc in the USA, and in the UK we have Saturday fight night and others on Sky, and now with the likes of Channel 5 coming into the sport, from there a fighter builds to the point where they can become PPV attractions.

In recent years, the best example would be David Haye, who was fighting on the BBC for the first couple of years of his pro career, but didn't build up much mainstream appeal until he went to Sky while he was fighting on Frank Maloney shows. A couple of years down the line and after World title cracks on Setanta and letting his mouth go, he went back to Sky and brought in around 900,000 buys for the Harrison fight even though it wasn't taken seriously by most, it still done a monster number. The Wladimir Klitchko fight done around 1 million, but a lot of people were unable to order the fight because of a fault with the Sky system.

I'm sure people will say "oh well this was a farce and that was a farce, so it will run out soon", well people have been saying that for long enough, and I'm still waiting. People have been saying that for years, when Ali retired, when Tyson retired, when Lennox Lewis packed it in etc and I'm sure we will be in the same situation in another 10 years. Still waiting.

Anyway, surely the next generation of boxers are coming from a tiny little pool, when everyone and their mother is training MMA instead. Maybe I am wrong and that's just an arrogant assumption, but from your stereotypical Tyson style street kid to athletes who want to get into combat sports, the future generation of boxers must have shrunk really, really dramatically in the last five years.

That is a massive assumption.

Firstly, I'm from a boxing family so therefore, I can tell you first hand that there are more fighters in the gyms of my area and the UK, since the 1990's. The gyms are jam packed in a way that they haven't been since Naz was in his prime, and it was well know that he brought a massive amount of young people to the sport in the late nineties, I was one of those kids, although being from a boxing family, the decision was made for me anyway I suppose. My relatives who are still active in coaching, are all pushed for time that they can spend with these kids because there are so many of them. The Beijing games in 2008 and the subsequent medal haul brought in even more kids who wanted to learn, some dropped off of course, but most stayed. By comparison, there is only one real MMA gym in my area, and they have about 8 guys or so, I'm very good friends with them all, and as I've mentioned, two of them are with the UFC now. I wish them all the very best luck. I know that it will definatley differ around the country, and I know MMA gyms are doing great, but the boxing gyms around the UK are packed. I've seen it for my own eyes and heard enough reports to know. Great clubs like Dale Youth and Repton in London are also booming.

Speaking of the Beijing games, seven GB fighters went to the Olympics that year, which is more than all four of the previous games combined, and with the next game being held in London, you can bet there will not only be a strong team, decent medal haul, but also many youngsters being inspired once again. There is also Womens boxing in the Olympics for the first time, so that will also be another area which takes off greatly. Katie Taylor of Ireland is an incredible fighter, and I've no doubt that she will inspire many young women.

The only area which has significantly dropped off, regarding fighters getting into the sport, is the Heavyweight division. We all know that, but it was in just as bad a state when Joe Louis reigned as World Champion for 11 years and 10 months, but Louis was so captivating, so deadly and so loved after the monumental fight with Max Schmelling, that it was often overlooked. With the exception of Jack Dempsey, there had never been a great, loved heavyweight before Joe Louis in the gloved era, so also didn't have to suffer the same kind of thing which the Klitschko's are being subjected to now, where because everyone loved Ali, Frazier, Tyson etc so much or were so captivated by them, that they can't look past those times and criticise anything that happens. Anyway, back on track, the Heavyweight divison , well the American Heavyweight divison, has suffered because a lot of potential big men put their helmets and shoulder pads on, instead of getting their headguards and gloves on for boxing. Whatever is going on in America, as far as heavyweight boxing goes, will sort itself out in time, because the HW division is like womens skirts, they go up and down now and then. The level of opposition was absolutley shit when Iron Mike came around also, people forget that.

The divison is only suffering in America really, the Klitschko brothers pack outdoor football stadiums everytime they fight, and get over 10 million viewers for god's sake.

The Boxing Vs MMA argument is retarded, and I hate getting into it. But I hate it even more when people claim boxing to be dying, because it's a ridiculous thing to say. Woyzeck, I like you from what I've always seen on here, but I had to get into it bud.

Edited by Taylorslade

• Paid Members

I would just like to pay tribute to a good man who died this morning, Mr. George Benton, 78, Hall of Fame trainer and a very good bloke. Some will know him, some won't, but he was what I would call a "proper trainer". He was part of Joe Frazier's camp for many years including the Thrilla in Manilla, and was the legendary Eddie Futch's 2nd man for years. A few names he trained ; Evander Holyfield, Mike Mcallum, Meldrick Taylor, Pernell Whitaker among many others, and devised the strategy which Leon Spinks used to defeat a fading Muhammad Ali.

Along with Butch Lewis earlier this year, another great boxing mind gone, and another step closer to the finish of an era. RIP.

• Paid Members

RIP George Benton. Can't say I know a lot about him but I was familiar with him training the names above.

On Boxing vs MMA, I don't follow all the PPV numbers and attendance figures and shit like that I just watch them both because I love both sports. This is nowt to do with which sport is kicking who's ass but the best quote I've seen on the subject of Boxing vs MMA is this one from Bernard Hopkins

Edited by wandshogun09