Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Apparently investigators are gonna rule Arturo Gatti's death a homicide

Investigators examining the death of former boxer Arturo Gatti will announce next week their conclusion that his demise was a homicide and not a suicide, a source with intimate knowledge of the details of the case has informed RingTV.com.

Their findings following a nearly 11-month investigation will be revealed at a press conference on Aug. 30 at the Global Boxing Gym in North Bergen, N.J.

"At the press conference, there will be six experts. They are six of the most preeminent experts in the country who have been involved in homicide investigations," said the source. "Suicide has been ruled out by all of the experts, and the criminal profiler and crime scene expert has absolutely determined that Arturo Gatti's death is not a suicide, and that it's a homicide."

The source would not reveal whether investigators have identified a suspect or determined exactly how Gatti was killed.

Gatti, 37, was found dead on July 11, 2009 in his hotel room in the Brazilian seaside resort of Porto de Galihnas. He was vacationing with his wife, Amanda Rodrigues, who was arrested and charged with his murder but later released.

Brazilian police eventually concluded after an autopsy that Gatti hanged himself from a wooden staircase column using a handbag strap.

A second autopsy in Canada in 2009 was observed by Michael Baden, former police pathologist and host of the HBO show "Autopsy," at the request of Gatti's family. Baden said coroners didn

Are they doing a 48hours programe on The Gatti Case? I watch that 48 hrs on the crime channel anyway and it's really interesting.

I just read on another sight that Bellow might be fighting Cleverly on the 29th Oct - the same night Froch fights Ward. Bellow Cleverley will be on Sky - If they do fight and I'm assuming Froch Ward will be as well. Not sure if they will try and bundle it together and make it PPV

• Paid Members
Are they doing a 48hours programe on The Gatti Case? I watch that 48 hrs on the crime channel anyway and it's really interesting.

I just read on another sight that Bellow might be fighting Cleverly on the 29th Oct - the same night Froch fights Ward. Bellow Cleverley will be on Sky - If they do fight and I'm assuming Froch Ward will be as well. Not sure if they will try and bundle it together and make it PPV

Sky has bailed on PPV till at least 2013.

• Paid Members

Watched Sugar Ray Leonard vs Donny Lalonde earlier.

I'm guessing most on here will remember it as the fight they were mercilessly pimping on SummerSlam 88 (think the WWF were part of the promotion, Jesse Ventura attended the fight aswell)

Anyway it was the first time I'd seen it, really fun fight. Lalonde seemed too big for him in the early rounds, even dropping him with a punch to the temple in the 4th. Ray outlasted him though and by the 6th/7th it was clear he was in a different class. The handspeed was still there and the finishing flurry that put Lalonde away in the 9th was a thing of beauty

here's the fight if you got a spare 40 mins give it a look

• Paid Members

some new fights to keep an eye on

Alexander Povetkin vs Evander Holyfield (17th Dec in Zurich)

Ricky Burns vs Adrien Broner (26th Nov in Cincinnati)

Tough fight for Burns there. I wish Holyfield would stop.

• Paid Members

:laugh: I like Teddy when he's not on one of his anti Pacquiao rants, I usually enjoy his commentary of Friday Night Fights. I still dunno what he was thinking shoving Big George like that. If he'd done that to 'Angry' George in the 70s he'd have got snapped in 2.

Loved the 'go make me a sandwich' line from Foreman.

speaking of nutty commentators, here's Larry Merchant shoving a crazed fan on his arse

don't fuck with Merchant

Edited by wandshogun09

A pretty frank interview from Oscar De La Hoya, talks about contemplating suicide, drugs and cheating on his wife.:

Former boxing champion Oscar De La Hoya said in a television interview that he had thought about suicide and has been going to rehab because he has become dependent on drugs and alcohol.

Oscar De La Hoya hasn't fought since being thoroughly beaten by Manny Pacquiao in 2008.

"Rock bottom was recently," De La Hoya said, according to an English-language transcript provided by Spanish-language network Univision. "Within a couple of years, just thinking if my life was even worth it. I don't have the strength, I don't have the courage to take my own life but I was thinking about it."

De La Hoya says he has been sober for three months after undergoing treatment and joining Alcoholics Anonymous.

He said he was unfaithful to his wife and that they were separated for a while.

"We are obviously not talking a Tiger Woods here, but I was unfaithful," De La Hoya said.

De La Hoya retired in 2009 after a 16-year career in which he won 10 world titles in six divisions and became boxing's most popular fighter.

De La Hoya was thoroughly beaten by Manny Pacquiao in his last fight. He won his last title in May 2006, beating Ricardo Mayorga in six rounds for the WBC 154-pound belt. He finished with a record of 39-6 and 30 knockouts.

Known as "The Golden Boy," De La Hoya transcended his sport, using his bilingual skills to generate crossover appeal among Latinos and whites.

He began boxing at age 5, following in the path of his grandfather and father. He won an Olympic gold medal at the 1992 Barcelona Games, delivering on a promise to his late mother, Cecilia, who died of breast cancer two years earlier.

"There were drugs, my drug of choice was cocaine and alcohol, hmm. Cocaine was recent, the last two years, last 2

Edited by METAL ON METAL

well the boxing season starts back up tonight with ringside, and stuart hall taking on jamie mcdonell on saturday. I personally carn't wait for saturday as am travelling down to doncaster, hopefully to see stuey bringing the European title back to darlington. I reckon stuey will stop mcdonell in round 10, i think he is the stronger fighter and will eventually wear him down to a late stoppage.

• Paid Members

Good evening, chaps.

I've just been reading the pages in this thread which I've missed over the last week or so, good stuff as always.

Someone already posted a transcript of De La Hoya's recent interview regarding his drug and alcohol problems, but this week the Golden Boy also owned up to these ;

oscarhowdy.jpg

oscar.jpeg

oscar2.jpg

When these images first began to surface, DLH just said they were fakes, but this week he said during an interview "Yes, yes it was me, and I'm sick of lying and pretending". It has also emerged that Oscar paid the "female associate" (who took the photos) close to $20million to keep it quiet. The funny thing is, that almost all of the boxing world did not believe that they were real anyway, so with Oscar admitting it now out of the blue, he basically just wasted an incredible amount of money.

----

I would also like to say a couple of things regarding Teddy Atlas. For me, he is far and away the biggest twat in boxing over the last year or so. I don't care how shit he thinks Pacquiao is, but I'm certain that his criticism of Manny is personal rather than professional, although I don't know what reasons it might be down to. I say this because he contradicts himself a lot with regards to Pacquiao and Mayweather. For example, he had nothing good to say about Mannys win over Cotto, and gave him no credit at all by saying that it was all about Cotto being finished rather than Manny being the better fighter. However, he showered Mayweather in praise after his win over Marquez.

If Atlas doesn't rate Pacquiao, then that's cool, but he destroys his own argument by the contradictions he makes, and even worse, this....

Atlas, doing as much as anyone to soil Pacquiao's reputation

If I was Manny Pacquiao, I would be suing Teddy Atlas for that.