Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

Yeah I was gonna ask about this, I noticed the channel yesterday they were showing Mayweather/De La Hoya and I've seen Pacquiao/Barrera 2 and Mosley/Margarito in the listings. Be interesting to see what happens with this channel.

Can only be a good thing more TV coverage. I was hoping ESPN would pick up more boxing when Setanta went tits up. As it stands they only show Friday Night Fights and the odd bit of Tyson/Ali Ringside stuff. I miss Setanta

Absolutely agree about Setanta/ESPN but god help us Warren promotes some shit undercards and I hate him.

• Paid Members

nice to see Murray/Mitchell live up to billing on Saturday :) the show was looking to be a complete dud but it definately saved the show.

as for Nicky Cooke....he had no business being in the ring, that's all ill say about that.

Murray Mitchell was a great domestic dust up, I predicted Murray to win by late KO but I think now hes found his level. Mitchell should try and get a few more big wins under his belt, then go for a vacant strap or rematch Katsidis.

Murray will probably remain at European level now, still think he has a lot to give but his styles not gonna take him much further.

The Cook - Burns fight was nonsense, lets hope Burns takes on a real challenger next time.

Bellew - Mackenzie wasnt the most exciting, but I think Tony did well to stick to his gameplan. A Cleverly - Bellew showdown later this year or early next is a must now surely!

If Murray can't take Mitchell's power, Katsidis would have him out of there in half the time. Nice to see a return to form for Kevin Mitchell though. He looked what he was billed as 18 months ago, a budding world class lightweight. He can go as far as his lifestyle allows him IMO. And something was up with Cookie midweek when betting was suspended on Ricky Burns winning inside the distance due to suspicious betting patterns in East London.

However, I will say this. He slipped a disc in the fight. If he has a degenerative back injury, it causes a pain cycle where the muscles spasm and put pressure on the discs, which in turn cause the muscles to spasm more. If his slipped disc is anything like mine, and I suffered my first slipped disc with exactly the same movements, what likely caused it was inactivity before the fight. I played Aussie Rules with my bad back at one point and then slipped it overnight sleeping in an air conditioned hotel room and turning over wrong in the night. He could have got through a whole camp and then the last two days of light workouts could have caused pressure on the disc.

When people moan about heavyweight boxing, they have to consider that cruiserweight can be just as bad. Danny Green gets billed and promoted as a world champion loses to a 42-year-old semi-retired light heavyweight. You get guys who use it as a stepping stone to heavyweight and then a whole load of shit.

Cruiser has always been a stepping stone division for most moving to HW. Its probably one of the best cruiser eras ever, plenty of strong champs. (I dont count the IBO as a true world title,m but was good to see Tarver get the win anyway)