Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

i plan on reading a lot more this year, there's so much boxing stuff i need to get through. I'd get Tyson's book Dave, im half way through and it's a great read, Tyson was one screwed up character, he's don't pull any punches.

i plan on reading a lot more this year, there's so much boxing stuff i need to get through. I'd get Tyson's book Dave, im half way through and it's a great read, Tyson was one screwed up character, he's don't pull any punches.

I've heard good things about that book, Ebb, so it's certainly on my list. I'm also looking forward to the Ray Leonard & Barry McGuigan books.

• Paid Members
After getting a Kindle for Christmas I'm stocking up on my boxing books, starting with the Mickey Ward one. Anyone got any Kindle boxing book recommendations?

Well here's my personal list of classics I always recommend off the top of my head, although I'm not sure if they are all on kindle or not.

Four Kings by George Kimball--Anyone who doesn't have it, should get it. It's just that good, definately the gold standard of boxing literature within the last 10 years.

Unforgivable Blackness by Geoffrey C Ward--Incredibly detailed and monumental biopic of the first black World Heavyweight Champion of the gloved era.

Nipper by Alex Daley -- One of those life stories which are unique to the boxing world. It's about the most talented fighter that Britain has ever had Nipper Pat Daley, who turned professional at NINE years old. The account of him schooling feared World Champion Mickey Walker in sparring when he was just 17 is surreal. Shocking management and far too hefty fight schedule led to his retirement at 21,otherwise he would've been our version of Sugar Ray Robinson.

That's my personal top three, they might not be available on kindle, but get them in print if not because they are that good.

• Paid Members

Dave, as well as those mentioned, have a look out for these as well;

Dark Trade: Lost In Boxing - I always recommend this one. Really interesting read, and covers a lot of ground. Doesn't focus on one boxer specifically but goes on depth on the big names of the time like De La Hoya, Roy Jones, James Toney, Tyson, Chavez etc. It's great.

The Life & Crimes Of Don King - I read this a few months ago and posted a fair bit about it in here at the time. As you'd expect from the title, it's a book detailing the dodginess, dishonesty and outright crimes of Big Don. Like anyone even remotely familiar with King, I knew he was a very shady character but reading it all in one book really drives home just how much. The author Jack Newfield also did a good documentary on King as well;

Don King: Unauthourized

http://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&a...p;v=4-75x-W2Pzg

With footage of a very rare case of King publicly losing his rag with Newfield. He goes nuts. He never usually dropped the patter and charm in front of the cameras so it's a rare glimpse into the darker side of his personality.

Hands Of Stone: Roberto Duran - I love this book. It's not an autobiography. It's written by a guy called Christian Guidice, but it's an excellent read. You couldn't really ask for much more detail on the life and career of Duran than this.

War, Baby - on the Nigel Benn vs Gerald McClellan fight. Fantastic book. Goes into depth not just on the actual fight but on both mens careers and lives, as well as the build up and aftermath of their 1995 fight.

Any of Eubank, Benn or Watson's books are worth a look as well. As is Hatton's new book 'War & Peace'. I've got Barry McGuigan's book but haven't started on it yet. Marvin Hagler's as well. There's shitloads of really good boxing books about.

Anyone read Frank Warren's book? Any good?

Hands Of Stone: Roberto Duran - I love this book. It's not an autobiography. It's written by a guy called Christian Guidice, but it's an excellent read. You couldn't really ask for much more detail on the life and career of Duran than this.

I'm reading this one at the minute, it's really good and thorough. The author has done another one now about Alexis Arguello

If you're a bit of a cheapskate like me. What you can do is pick up some of the books dirt cheap. If you go into the used section on Amazon, you can get 'very good' or 'like new' condition books for pennies and only pay for postage. I got Four Kings for 1p, the Duran book for 99p. Eubank's, Johnny Nelson's, De La Hoya's & McGuigan's hardback books for

Edited by Rossman

• Paid Members

Sky were meant to be showing a Ringside - Evander Holyfield special tomorrow but for some reason the listings now say it's a Larry Holmes special. Either way, it should be well worth tuning in for :thumbsup:

Sky were meant to be showing a Ringside - Evander Holyfield special tomorrow but for some reason the listings now say it's a Larry Holmes special. Either way, it should be well worth tuning in for :thumbsup:

Bollocks I was going to SKY Plus that. They have shot the show as they aired preview clips.

Maybe his comments on BB is the reason it has been removed?

• Paid Members

The Larry Holmes one should be great anyway. Didn't know they were doing a Holmes Ringside special. I've just read the bit in Tyson's book on the Holmes fight actually where Tyson said, after he knocked Holmes out he went over to Holmes. Something like;

Tyson: You're a great fighter. Thank you.

Holmes: You're a great fighter too. But fuck you.

Tyson: Fuck you too.

I love Larry. As well as being a great fighter - and often under-appreciated in my opinion - he's a funny character as well. There was an interview with Larry years ago on BBC back when they were still covering boxing with Bunce and them, and I remember him having a pop at George Foreman. I don't really know the beef there other than Holmes reckoned Foreman wanted none of him. His attitude made me smile though. It's been years since I saw the interview but I remember him saying something like "Foreman don't like me, and I don't give a darn, 'cos I don't like him either."

I wish they'd have fought in the 80s. I guess they kind of missed each other though, with Foreman walking away after the Ali loss. Then Holmes didn't hit the big fights until a few years later and by the time Foreman came out of retirement in the late 80s-early 90s, Holmes was finishing up. Shame. I wish Foreman stuck around after the Ali fight. But then if he did, maybe he wouldn't have had that last world title win in 94.

Anyway, yeah, really looking forward to Ringside with Holmes. Plenty to talk about there with him being Ali's sparring partner, then fighting Ali, the awesome Ken Norton fight, the Witherspoon fight, Don King, the Gerry Cooney fight with the race stuff, the career comeback in the Tyson era, maybe ask him about Foreman again. And of course the Trevor Berbick stuff will come up with Holmes busting out the old missile dropkick off a car roof.

Bollocks I was going to SKY Plus that. They have shot the show as they aired preview clips.

Maybe his comments on BB is the reason it has been removed?

If that's the reason, that's a fucking disgrace.

• Paid Members

it's the only reason i can think of it now being shown, it was recorded before Xmas so why else wouldn't they show it?

The Holmes one is an old one too i think, im pretty sure ive seen a Larry Holmes ringside before.

• Paid Members

didn't see it mentioned here and i only found out today, but Boxnation finally goes HD from February 8th, tidy!

(i say 8th, but i may actually be the 15th now because the Chisora fight was put back a week).