Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Oh and while I'm recommending underrated fights here's some on the British side (or at least fights held on UK soil). You can't go wrong with these, although some might prove tricky to track down...

Michael Ayers vs Wayne Rigby 1 & 2

Michael Ayers vs Colin Dunne

Wally Swift Jr vs Tony Collins

Michael Brodie vs In-Jin Chi 1 & 2

Michael Brodie vs Neil Swain

The Dennis Andries vs Jeff Harding trilogy (3 fantastic fights, vastly underrated probably just due to most not seeing them)

More forgotten gems than all-time great fights but all the above are well worth your time tracking down.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

only now caught up on the weekend's boxing, Frank Warren's card was predictably a bit of a mixed bag. These big showcase shows always seem a little mismatched but this one was a little better, it was sad to see Glen Johnson turn into a complete punching bag though :(

did anyone see Nonito Donaire's 3 round destruction of Arce? it wasn't without controversy but holy fucking shit that final left hook nearly killed him. Arce's stupidly brave, he was calling Donaire in despite being knocked down heavily only seconds later, maniac.

donaire-vs-arce.gif

Edited by Ebb

• Paid Members

anyone catch Steve Bunce's live phone in tonight on BoxNation? that was a pretty decent watch, they got some good questions in and it was a thoroughly entertaining couple of hours, id like to see em do it a little more often. Andy Lee came off great on there as well, you can tell he knows his shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUMfNr9_guE

part 1

Just reading about Hector Camacho today in Boxing Monthly and this fight V's Edwin Rosario is meant to be a bit of a cracker. I'm about to watch it myself. Apparently after this fight Camacho changed his style somewhat. He seemed a really interesting charachter who had his demons outside of the ring. In Boxig Mothly it says the car he was in had 10 bags of coke in, 1 opened which he and the other bloke who was shot dead were sharing. He was also shot 1 year earlier not far from where he was killed. It's a good article which has quotes from Roach - who fought Camacho, Cotto and Julip Ceaser Chavez. Think i'm going to watch a bit if his stuff.

• Paid Members

i need to try picking up some Camacho stuff.

They got a pretty decent gift set in WHSmith, it's an ESPN Mike Tyson thing, you get a magazine and 4 DVD (Raw & Uncut 2 Disks, Greatest Hits and a disk including his fights with Spinks, Douglas and Holmes). It's well worth

I dont know to many boxing movies other than the famous ones, however i was watching The Fall Guy today and it had Larry Holmes playing himself on it, he was the boxing world champ and gave some underdog a shot at the title. It also had guest appearances from Archi Moore and Sugar Ray Robinson.

Between the Fall Guy and Renegade my daytime TV has been sorted all over Christmas.

Yeh i see Rees has a shot at Broner, Rees always causes people problems, however tends to run out of gas in the latter half of fights. Could see Broner stopping Rees in about 5 or 6. I did read that Broner will be fighting on the Mayweather undercard in May, if thats the case i hope it's Ricky Burns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqfny8gr_C4...908B91AA54D0D09

de la hoya V camacho. Oscar looks amazing.

I missed alot of De lahoya in his prime as those were my main sessioning days, same with Roy JJ, Mosley, Hopkins etc... - although Hopkins has always been boring as fuck - I cant believe Frank Warren is still trying to hype up a possible fight between him and Cleverly maybe next yr. I hope cloud beats hopkins convincingly then forces warrens hand to match clev against someone half decent.

Although Roy JJ and Mosely were so great in their prime, they have both tested positive to steroids, while in their prime so it does make you question their greatness

What has happened to the boxing on Sky? Where is it? If you don't want to pay even more with PPV's you get better coverage on Channel 5 of all places.

Yeah, Sky have basically handed over all of its coverage to one promoter (Eddie Hearn). It's reported that Ricky Hatton was told of his promotion being removed from its list via email, which is a fucking disgrace if I'm honest.

Murray is with Hatton Promotions who Sky dropped so i doubt that will be shown on Sky Sports, more likely Box Nation.

I can see what Sky are trying to do by mainly dealing with Eddie Hearn, they want to give Boxing a big time feel, much like they have done with Darts. Also by now having a decent stacked card from a nice looking arena, rather than just one half decent match being shown from Bethnal Green.

However i think most boxing fans like the look and feel of the small time shows - i love a good domestic tear up in a small venue from somewhere in London. Glad i have Box Nation for that now. Box Nation repeated Appleby and Walsh lastnight - what a top ruck that was.

I have also just read on boxing news 24 - that saul alvarez will be fighting on the Mayweather undercard in May - so if thats correct - Mayweather\Broner\Alvarez all on the same card? Hope thats true.

Edited by Mr Lawrence