Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

I'm in agreement I also think May would have beat Pac, but Pac is the one guy Floyd has serious doubt about and it's because of the left hand. If you can make 40M per fight against guys you are almost certain you believe you'll beat, why risk it all to face a guy who has the style and punch that could take you out. I think Flotd believes he would beat Pac, but he knows its a risk to the thing he has built his whole career on, the one thing that he believes defines him as the greatest, the 0 on the end of his record.

• Paid Members

Oh absolutely. But in some ways maybe the Floyd vs Manny fight is actually more likely now for that very reason. Maybe Floyd, in seeing Manny get sparked by a 39 year old, will think the time is right to put Manny's name on his resume. Maybe he'll see Pacquiao, as ripe for the picking now. The fight would obviously not be as big as if it took place in 2009 but would still be a huge payday and in Floyd's eyes probably sees it as an easier fight now than it would have been back then.

Reminds me of how Sugar Ray bided his time with Hagler and only took the fight when he felt Hagler was slipping and the fight would be less risky.

I think Flotd believes he would beat Pac, but he knows its a risk to the thing he has built his whole career on, the one thing that he believes defines him as the greatest, the 0 on the end of his record.

The sad thing is, protecting that "0" at the end of his record is what will ensure Mayweather is pretty far down the list of real greats when the history books are written. He can sit in his big house with all his money in shoeboxes and 50 Cent telling him he's the best, but he's fought five times in the past five years. When people talk about the big fights they all want to see he's mentioned in relation to Pacquiao but that's about it. Mayweather doesn't excite me. He's never taken the risky fights in his career, and he won't start at age 35.

To put it into perspective, Pacquiao has fought thirteen times in five years, waging wars with the likes of Antonio Margarito, Miguel Cotto and Marco Antonio Barerra and has held titles at six weight classes. He should look at putting together the fifth and final fight with Marquez. Fuck Mayweather. I don't even want to see that fight anymore.

If Mayweather's intention was making a shitload of cash, then he's done it. If he wanted to cement his name as one of boxings greatest, then he's failed in my opinion.

Bet you wish you watched Pacquiao/Marquez IV first ;) .

I'm nowhere near into boxing like I am MMA but I do try and watch Pacquiao's fights. Out of Pacquiao's eight last fights, I've watched seven of them.

I've never seen the first three Pacquiao/Marquez fights, I'd like to. Which order would you rank the four fights in?

Edited by The Natural

• Paid Members

Floyd is a 5 Division champion.

He has fought top quality opponents for years and never been knockdown (Took a knee when he broke his hand i believe.)

You can accuse most fighters of dodging as well.

Edited by Fox Piss

• Paid Members
I've never seen the first three Pacquiao/Marquez fights, I'd like to. Which order would you rank the four fights in?

I loved the first fight myself. From the crazy first round with the 3 knockdowns and then Marquez's incredible comeback, it was a really great fight. I had Manny winning by a point I think but a draw was fair.

I might rank last night's fight as #1 now. I'll have to rewatch it but the drama of them trading knockdowns, plus the shocking finish, especially after the backstory and knowing what a redemption that was for Marquez. It's hard to top.

I'd rate them

1) 4th fight

2) 1st fight

3) 2nd fight

4) 3rd fight

They're all great though, one of the greatest rivalries in boxing history.

I loved the first fight myself. From the crazy first round with the 3 knockdowns and then Marquez's incredible comeback, it was a really great fight. I had Manny winning by a point I think but a draw was fair.

I might rank last night's fight as #1 now. I'll have to rewatch it but the drama of them trading knockdowns, plus the shocking finish, especially after the backstory and knowing what a redemption that was for Marquez. It's hard to top.

I'd rate them

1) 4th fight

2) 1st fight

3) 2nd fight

4) 3rd fight

They're all great though, one of the greatest rivalries in boxing history.

Thank you for that. Hopefully I'll get round to seeing them. Wasn't the scoring controversal in the second fight? I know it was in the third, I remember last year that most people scored it for Marquez.

Really glad I watched Pacquiao/Marquez IV live as it went down, I won't forget it.

Bet you wish you watched Pacquiao/Marquez IV first ;) .

I had! :laugh:

Right choice!

Edited by The Natural

• Paid Members

Yeah Natural, the second fight was highly debated. I personally had Marquez just about edging it but it was close enough that it could go either way or even be scored a draw again. Defo not a robbery but I had Marquez up a point or two. Great fight though.

The 3rd fight I really thought was a bad call. I had Marquez probably 4 rounds up. All 3 fights should be on Youtube. Well worth your time.

This fourth fight was phenomenal. I also thought the momentum was swinging Pacman's way which made the KO all the more dramatic.

Absolutely incredible fight! Must be a contender for greatest fight series of all time? I'm not as clued up on boxing from before the 90's but I'd have Pacquiao/Marquez above the Gatti/Ward series as my favourite. Mostly due to the fact that Manny and Marquez have been in the top 3 P4P rankings for the last few years in a lot of places.

Not watched the other 3 fights since the 3rd fight happened but plan on watching all four together and scoring the entire 42 rounds! (For what it's worth I think I have Marquez up a couple of rounds.) My ranking would be:

1. First fight

2. 4th fight

3. 2nd fight

4. 3rd fight.

That was indeed fantastic, I wanted Manny to win so I was gutted at he end.

Pac could go three ways now, the two most likely are Marquez 5 or retire. But he could face Bradley again.

As someone said, Marquez vs Bradley is a possibility. So is Floyd and Bradley I am sure, but like someone else said I have heard he will fight Guerrero.

Marquez should just ride off into the sunset. He's got the biggest win of his career finally and did it in emphatic fashion. I know nothing about his finances but I'd like to think he has more than enough to live comfortably.

I watched Gatti/Ward a few months back after it was linked on here (probably by wandshogun) but I'd have the Marquez/Pacquiao series above that due to the caliber of fighters.