Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

On a different note, it amazes me how all the boxers who have been on Ringside go on about how great Ricky Hatton looks etc.....but no one has ever mentioned that Hattons punch resistance may have gone. I really want Hatton to succeed on his comeback but fear the worst. His style is not built for longevity and being 34 yrs old with over 40 fights under his belt and not having fought for 3 and a half years i really fear the worst.

From what I've heard, the circumstances for his comeback are all wrong. He's working with yet another trainer, and has had some issues with family members, notably his father. It's rumoured that he's fighting in order to secure a card for his promotions fighters to appear on as well.

For those reasons alone I don't think his return is going to go well.

• Paid Members

f99bf_dV1kx.jpg

Anyone who didn't see it at the time, I just stumbled across this...

Benn vs McClellan: The Fight Of Their Lives documentary;

http://vimeo.com/46056376

The ITV doc shown late last year. It's an excellent hour's viewing. There was an extended version at the time but this seems to be the standard one hour version. I'd recommend giving it a watch if you've not seen it yet.

Nigel-Benn-and-Gerald-McC-005.jpg

On the same subject, here's Steve Bunce on about the doc...

Very interesting point raised by Bunce. I knew there were reports that McClellan's recovery was hindered and possibly even diminished by McClellan's family insisting he fly back to the US. But I didn't know that the neurosurgeon John Sutcliffe actually said a few months after the surgery "I see no reason why he doesn't make a full recovery." A full recovery? That's both incredible and tragic when you look at him now.

In the doc his sister dismisses that the flight back to America lead to complications but clearly something went badly wrong if a neurosurgeon was saying he was on track to a full recovery and then he gets on a plane and comes out the other end with all the setbacks.

article-2073139-0F04027B00000578-544_468x316.jpg

DSC_2156.jpg

McClellan underwent colon surgery in June as well, it's said that his condition is worsening and his organs are starting to fail as a result of his brain injury.

I know he's a controversial figure given the ties to dog fighting, and as a dog owner myself I hate that. But it's still a tragic story. I couldn't wish his condition on anyone.

Give the doc a look if you haven't yet.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

the doc. is fantastic, heartbreaking stuff.

To touch on what David said, the Hatton comeback has some rumors flying around it but im happy to wait and see how it goes down before i pass judgement. It's been widely publicised that Hatton's fighters are currently without a TV home, i don't think it's the sole reason for him coming back though. The thing with his dad is bad though, the Hatton crew were always so tight so it sucks to see what's happened.

Have they announced a station yet for the fight?

I know he's a controversial figure given the ties to dog fighting, and as a dog owner myself I hate that. But it's still a tragic story. I couldn't wish his condition on anyone.

I wouldn't wish the condition on anyone, but karma is a bitch, as they say. I don't feel sorry for him.

Also, not sure if this has been mentioned but apparently we're going to see Kimbo Slice vs Roy Jones;

In a bout set to be dubbed
Edited by David

• Paid Members

few have fallen like Roy Jones :( it sucks cause i never got to experience him in his prime. The shitty thing is Jones still seems have his faculties about him, he just can't hang em up.

Is this gonna be a competitive fight then? i heard it was some kind of exhibition bout.

• Paid Members

Me neither. I just hope it's a good fight. Price looks great, I can't see Audley being the one to derail him (sorry Butch). Don't forget 5 have the DeGale fight later as well. Anyone know if Eubank Jr will be on there? I never know when he's fighting he usually just pops up unexpectedly on a Tyson Fury bill or something. He's got to be due another fight around now.

Big Fraudley makes his return to the ring tonight, going up against David Price. I can't see past a Price win.

He has a bigger challenge.

Can he get more viewers than paint drying.

The 40-year-old may have won an Olympic Gold Medal in 2000, but his non-fight with David Haye a decade later in 2010, in which he landed just one punch, has been likened to watching to watching paint dry by lovers of the sport.

Now, prior to his British title fight with David Price, research conducted by online betting exchange Betfair has revealed that more than three quarters (78%) of British boxing fans would rather watch paint dry than the heavyweight boxer.

With that in mind Betfair are giving boxing fans exactly what they want

Yeh although i have bet on Audley and did get carried away with his talk last week, after watching all of the build up i do think Price will do him. Audley can have a half decent defence at times so i don't think Price will take him out early. I look for price to use his jab early, quickly and consistantly, once he has settled in a bit i can see him varying his punches, he does have god digs to the ribs. Then can see him taking him out around 6 or 7. Audley always has his shades on in interviews to hide his eyes, it's as if he thinks his eyes will give him away and people will see through all the shte he is talking.

• Paid Members

Eubanks on Five at 9.15 (not Channel 5) the DeGale broadcast starts at 10 on channel 5.

Cheers Ebb. They'll most likely show his fight after DeGale's if there's time. They showed his last few pre-recorded I think. Who's he fighting?

The latest on Tyson Fury is that he'll be fighting on December 1st;

Undefeated heavyweight contender Tyson Fury 19-0 (14KOs) is currently awaiting his next opponent for a ring return date of December 1st in Belfast, Ireland. An eager Fury recently told World Boxing News that his previous 19 professional contests were all showcase fights and the time is right for him to now step up and some of fight the bigger names in the division. The ex-Irish champion realizes that he is not going to lure in names such as David Haye, David Price, Alexander Povetkin and the top dog Wladimir Klitschko, all of whom he expressed a great interest in fighting immediately and may need to fight some of the title pretenders first. Apparently, there is a proposed date in March that may see the outspoken fighter make his debut in the United States against names in the ilk of Tomasz Adamek, although Fury has now shown the most interest in a battle with unbeaten American heavyweight star Seth

Wow....

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

I can't even blame Harrison for that one. Price was in and anhiliated Audley but shows yet again that he has no chin whatsoever! They are talking Chisora if he gets his license or Skelton in December. Would prefer to see Chisora as I think he would genuinely test him.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();
Edited by rubbafish