Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Yeah I had it for Pacman too.

But I did think it was closer than the commentators had it. 11-1 was Lederman's score, I think that's a bit off. Pacman schooled him the first 6 rounds but for me he took his foot off the gas later on and the second half of the fight was controlled a lot by Bradley I thought.

Still thought Manny won it though, 8-4. It's a bad decision I think but no worse than Pacman's dodgy win over Marquez last time out. Not that that's anything good, bad judging is always a negative.

Real good fight regardless. The pace was non stop. I just think Manny should have kept the pressure on a bit more late in the fight myself. I think he thought he was so far ahead that he could coast the later rounds, it's almost like De La Hoya/Trinidad all over again.

This really shits up the already unlikely Floyd/Manny fight now.

pacman-mayweather.jpg

mayweather-vs-pacquiao.jpg

Pacman vs Money, the fight we'll only see in photoshops.

What a strange night. The awful 10 rounds of Jones/Bailey followed by an amazing comeback KO, the Arce/Rojas shenanigans and disappointing ending with all the fouls and no contest. And then all the weird shit with Manny before the main event, all the stuff about watching basketball, disappearing from the locker room to stretch his legs. A bizarre night. I suppose it was only fitting that the main event ended on a controversy too.

The conspiracy that will be there now will be that Arum paid the judges so the rematch could happen, plus take away attention from the Mayweather fight.

I do not buy it as corrupt and seedy as Arum is.

I agree with Kellerman, the judges were in a bad position, I have to disagree that it was no worse than the Marquez fight, I had that 7-5 to Marquez, this was far more clear. The stats can lie in this case they did not.

I will go as far to say a disgrace.

• Paid Members

Like I say, I do think Pac won but I think a lot of the outrage is gonna be overblown to be honest just because the rounds he won he looked more impressive. He may have hurt Bradley more times but it's scored round by round and the fact is to me he let a few rounds slip away in the second half of the fight.

And whether the judges were in a bad position or not, if Manny really won 11 to 1 then it wouldn't have mattered where they sat. A fight that one sided would be a piece of piss to score.

I'm not in any way saying Bradley should have got the decision, it certainly appeared to be bad judging on first viewing, but I'll have to watch it again before I declare it a robbery because I thought Bradley made it close late and for whatever reason Manny laid back too much in the second half imo. He looked great from rounds 1 to 6 and then just coasted after that. I had him winning them first 6 and then two of the later rounds, so 8-4.

I'm gonna give it a couple of days and rewatch it and score it again.

That fight between Bailey & Jones was one of the worst I've seen. Bailey wasn't throwing anything and Jones was so scared of him he wouldn't throw more than two punches. Bailey's trainer had given up on him by the 7th round and the cut-man had to do the corner coaching. Then Bailey hit those two right hooks in the 10th and 11th and it was all over. Bailey was incomprehensible in the post fight interview because he couldn't stop crying.

Like everyone else I was disappointed with the Bradley/Pacquiao result. I thought Bradley did well but Pac had done more than enough to win.

June seems to be the month for announcing retirements. Sugar Shane Mosley has hung up his gloves. Antonio Margarito has called time on his in ring fighting career but will still play a part behind the scenes. And Vitali Klitschko's September 1st fight against the unbeaten Manuel Charr is being touted as his farewell fight before he jumps into politics with the October Ukrainian parliamentary elections.

Whats bothering me about big fights is the lack of knockouts or knockdowns, I'm not saying I don't want to see people get knocked out. But I'd would like to see boxers going there and aim for the KO rather than just win on a judges score card but then on the other hand its very harsh to ask anyone to gone all out for 36 minutes.

But as much as its said never leave it in the hands of the judges. Because shit like is keep going to happen.

Edited by ajmcstyles

Round 1 and 10, 12 were close, I think it was round 8 I had Bradley winning, everything else was clearly Pac's. If I was being generous I could not give Bradley more than 4. I ended with it 10-2. With rounds 8 and 10 for Bradley. Most rounds were close until the last 60 seconds, where Pac would blitz and do 3 times more work than Bradley therefore stealing them.

I never watched Lewis vs Holyfield 1 as it happened so for me this is the worst robbery I have seen as a boxing fan. Granted I only watch the big fights in America and over here, I am sure there has been one as bad under the radar.

Pac did more damage, outscored in total and power punches and bossed the fight. Bradley,has a lot of heart but he is not in Pac's league even now, and Pac is past his prime.

This is the sort of shit that ruins boxing and MMA, all the MMA fans laughing at this should go watch Phan vs Garcia as that was just as bad a robbery. I am not some big Manny fan, I like him but think Floyd is the better boxer and would beat him handily if they fight.

I do not even care if they rematch, the damage is done. Judging in Vegas is a fucking joke and has been for a long time.

Not seen the Pac fight so can't pass comment just yet.

I was reading the boxing headlines on the sky sports news ticker this morning though and it said Pac landed 94 more punches.

How many rounds can someone lose throwing and landing so many more puches than the fighter he's up against ?

The figure Sky gave could be far from true I guess.

• Paid Members

Just watched it again, I scored it as accurately as I could and had it 9-3 Manny this time.

It's unquestionably a bad decision. My gripe is just with the HBO commentators who seem to just go along with whatever Horold Lederman's score is and won't budge on it. If Lederman says it's a shutout then they seem determined to not give the other guy a round either. Lederman always favours certain fighters aswell, Manny being one. If a round's close you can bet he gives it to Manny, and in some cases (Marquez 3) he was scoring rounds for Pacquiao that I thought he lost quite clearly. He loves him.

So yeah it was a robbery. I thought Bradley fought really well though and that will be overshadowed because he wrongfully got the decision. It's not his fault the judges are incompetent yet he's getting a load of shit online.

For someone who said he was 'ashamed' by the decision, Bob Arum looked over the moon. He gets to cash in again.

And I am fucking GUTTED I couldn't afford that bet now.

Pacman vs Money, the fight we'll only see in photoshops.

Going by this interview, even a win for Pacquiao wouldn't have made much difference to the chances of the dream fight;

Now the truth has finally been confirmed by Floyd Mayweather himself: He

I don't buy Mayweather being scared or ducking a fight with Pac even if he's stated so. I take every Floyd says with a pinch of salt. He's a smart man.

Manny needs to get away from Arum asap. I think his Top Rank contract is up next year. He needs to beat Bradley in a re-match,go solo or sign to another promoter and go out with a bang with a Mayweather fight.

• Paid Members

Thanks for posting that, interesting stuff. Despite what he says and what the article implies I don't think Floyd's actually scared of Pacquiao and I've always thought he'd win if they were ever to meet.

But like every other Boxing fan on the planet I'm just really disappointed and disillusioned by the whole thing. They're the two best boxers of this generation and they're close enough in weight to make the fight a reality. Yet for whatever reason it hasn't happened. It really should've happened in 2009 but 2012 would've been better late than never and still a huge event. The longer it got delayed the risk of one of them losing and effectively killing the fight was more likely.

The sad thing is, as great as they both are and as amazing as their careers have been, I think they'll both regret this fight passing by. It would have been the career defining fight in for both of them.