Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Anyone heard about the movie that's planned on the life of Roberto Duran? I knew nothing about this until now.

San Juan - The film "Hands of Stone", which tells the story of former boxing world champion Roberto Duran, will begin filming June 4 in Puerto Rico, one of the production companies announced.

Rosi Acosta, of KCPR, said that a group of the film's producers is currently in Puerto Rico looking for sites at which to shoot the movie, which stars Gael Garcia Bernal as the Panamanian fighter.

Along with Garcia, Acosta said that the cast includes Robert De Niro, who will play the role of Ray Arcel, Duran's trainer, and pop singer Usher as Sugar Ray Leonard.

She said that there are still other potential cast members who have yet to confirm that they will be part of the film, including actress Michelle Rodriguez and Puerto Rican rapper Tego Calderon.

Acosta said that the film will be made in Puerto Rico because of the "versatility of locations that allow any Latin American country to be recreated".

She also emphasized that the film project will be reinforced by the incentives offered by the Puerto Rico Film Commission, a state agency.

Acosta estimated that the production will provide Puerto Rico with about $16 million in revenues.

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt...le&id=51357

Nice. I hope they do a good job. De Niro as Ray Arcel gets a thumbs up from me. Not sure at all about Usher as Sugar Ray though :/

• Paid Members

Thought this would be of interest. Upcoming schedule for Box Nation

April 13th

Cologne, Germany

Felix Sturm vs Sebastian Zbik

Denis Boystov vs Dominick Guinn

Nadia Raoui vs Eileen Olszewski

April 14th

Mexico City

Juan Manuel Marquez vs Serhiy Fedchenko

Las Vegas

Brandon Rios vs Richard Abril

April 21st

Frederikshavn, Denmark

James DeGale vs Christian Sanavia

El Paso, Texas

Anselmo Moreno vs David De La Mora

Abner Mares vs Eric Morel

April 28th

Royal Albert Hall, London

Nathan Cleverly vs Robin Krasniqi

Atlantic City, New Jersey

Bernard Hopkins vs Chad Dawson 2

Seth Mitchell vs Chazz Witherspoon

May 5th

Las Vegas

Floyd Mayweather Jr vs Miguel Cotto

Shane Mosley vs Saul Alvarez

Jesse Vargas vs Alfonso Gomez

Carlos Quintana vs DeAndre Latimore

Th

Edited by wandshogun09

Heads up! The Tyson Fury vs Martin Rogan fight is on Channel 5 at 10pm on Sat night. They're showing Tom Watson vs Ninja Rua from BAMMA 6 after aswell.

Thats come around quickly.

Fury seems a nice enough fella but I hope Rogan beats him.

I don't think Fury works hard enough, both in getting ready for fights and when in the ring.

He's made out to be much better than he his and will get found out sooner rather than later.

Might be the best thing to happen to him.

Heads up! The Tyson Fury vs Martin Rogan fight is on Channel 5 at 10pm on Sat night. They're showing Tom Watson vs Ninja Rua from BAMMA 6 after aswell.

Thats come around quickly.

Fury seems a nice enough fella but I hope Rogan beats him.

I don't think Fury works hard enough, both in getting ready for fights and when in the ring.

He's made out to be much better than he his and will get found out sooner rather than later.

Might be the best thing to happen to him.

EDIT:

Both Fury and Rogan look in terrific shape for the fight, check these photo from the weigh in

Tyson_Fury_weigh_in_for_Rogan.jpg

563651_337371602990863_100001540776116_941636_271436920_n.jpg

Edited by HeavyT

What a ridiculous decision in the Bam Bam Rios / Richard Abril fight. Abril out worked Rios all the way through the fight and looked the dominant fighter and puncher. It goes to the judges and they screw the poor guy over. One had it 117 to 111 in favour of Abril. And the other two had it 116-112 & 115-113 in favour of Rios. The promoters will do anything to line their pockets and keep theit fighters from losing so they can get the big pay-off down the road. They were saying it was in the pipeline for JM Marquez to face Rios at Cowboys Stadium.

Rios can never make the weight. He said he hired a nutritionist and felt in the best shape ever, etc, etc. He got weighed and was 2lbs over, they told him to lose it and come back and was then 4lbs over the limit. So then Rios couldn't win the belt, was fined $45k, had to pay an undisclosed fee to Abril and wasn't eligible for a fight bonus.

• Paid Members

I watched the Marquez and Rios fights yesterday.

Fuck me, that Rios decision was bollocks. I think I gave him 2 rounds tops. How the judges scored him the fight baffles me. Felt really bad for Abril. It wasn't a pretty fight to watch and all the clinching didn't make for an exciting fight but his gameplan was very effective and he deserved the decision. Rios looked bad and I'm not convinced it was all to do with the weight cut. That obviously had a part to play but Abril also outthought and outfought him. Despite the judges not agreeing.

The weight thing is ridiculous though. It's clear Rios shouldn't be at the weight. He's a good fighter with an exciting style but he needs to sort himself out and either find a way to make weight healthily or move up.

He looked like a smackhead at the weigh ins

rios-abril%20(7).JPG

rios-abril%20(3).JPG

Abril got robbed.

Marquez fight wasn't as good as I hoped either. Glad to see him win though. If Marquez vs Rios does go ahead I don't see Rios doing very well. I fancy Marquez to stop him in the later rounds.

So not really the best of shows. But did anyone catch the Mike Alvarado vs Mauricio Herrera fight on the undercard? I haven't seen it yet but it's meant to be a barnburner.

Edited by wandshogun09

Carl Froch's Super Middleweight showdown with Lucian Bute is to be shown live on Sky Sports next month.

The Cobra will return to the ring for the first time since losing his WBC title to Andre Ward in December when he contends for the IBF equivalent on Saturday May 26