Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
Only a little thing, but I could swear Mayweather vs De La Hoya was on Sky Sports.

It was SBO mate. I was in America at the time of the fight and watched it closed circuit, but it was SBO. Sky paid quite a large fee for the rights also.

EDIT- Yes, I've double checked, and they pulled it from SBO a few weeks beforehand.

Edited by Taylorslade

Yeh it was on sky sports as far as i remember, i watched the replay on sky sports at 9 the next morning - they had the 24/7 on sky sports as well..

mayweather v gatti and holyfield v quawi was on espn today. Mayweather never looked better than in that fight in my opinion. That was the quickest i had seen him, he was fighting at 139lb though. Holyfield looked wicked as well - can't believe the fight was 25 years ago, i remember reading the review of that fight when i was younger.

• Paid Members
I was in my local watching it, and Alan the landlord was never going to pay for SBO on rateable value, and he didn't have a bent box.

According to Google it appears it was on Sky Sports 1. http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=ch...er+sky+sports+1

It was pulled from SBO a few weeks or so beforehand, my mistake. Strange though, considering that the De La Hoya Vs Sturm fight was a Box-Office outing ;

Can't remember if the Hopkins fight after that was though. Ill have to dig my tape out.

Yeh it was on sky sports as far as i remember, i watched the replay on sky sports at 9 the next morning - they had the 24/7 on sky sports as well..

mayweather v gatti and holyfield v quawi was on espn today. Mayweather never looked better than in that fight in my opinion. That was the quickest i had seen him, he was fighting at 139lb though. Holyfield looked wicked as well - can't believe the fight was 25 years ago, i remember reading the review of that fight when i was younger

Yeah Mayweather looked sharp as a razor in the Gatti fight, but no disrespect to Gatti, Mayweather was always going to lay it on him big time in that fight, and as good as he was in that fight, I don't think it was his best performance, I don't like saying it, but it was more to do with who he was in with.

Mayweather's best performance, in my mind, is, the Diego Corralles destruction. Corralles was undefeated with a string of very impressive knockouts, was the much, much bigger man and a lightweight really (the fight was Super-Feather), with most people predicting that Mayweather would get tagged at some point and broken down. Well, he disected Corralles with a masterful performance and sent him to the canvas 5 times, and Chico hadn't even been down before that, I don't recall. Given the quality of opposition and background of the fight, then this is far and away Floyd's best performance yet. It's a once-in-a-lifetime performance, even for Mayweather.

I would say that it's the best performance that I've seen, from anyone, which has happened in my lifetime.

• Paid Members

Here are a few fights which I watched earlier today from my FOTY collection. I haven't watched them for a while but I highly recommend them, of course, as their "FOTY" status indicates ;

Danny "Little Red" Lopez Vs Mike Ayala - WBC Featherweight Championship, Fight of the year 1979.

Bobby Chacon Vs Cornelius Boza Edwards - WBC Super Featherweight Championship, Fight of the year 1983.

I couldn't find a link for the Lopez Vs Ayala fight, but if you have a good dig around, then it's well worth it. Both brilliant fights which I can't recommend highly enough. :thumbsup:

• Paid Members

Another great documentary surrounding THAT rivalry. The image of Benn and Eubank glaring at eachother from across the ring before the first bell still gives me chills, and is one of those moments that was so influencial to me. It was my Jimmy Snuka moment.

• Paid Members

Great news about Mayweather vs Ortiz 24/7 being on Five.

I couldn't find a link for the Lopez Vs Ayala fight, but if you have a good dig around, then it's well worth it. Both brilliant fights which I can't recommend highly enough. :thumbsup:

I've seen Lopez/Ayala before but only seen highlights of Chacon/Edwards. Both amazing fights.

Another great documentary surrounding THAT rivalry. The image of Benn and Eubank glaring at eachother from across the ring before the first bell still gives me chills, and is one of those moments that was so influencial to me. It was my Jimmy Snuka moment.

I'm a sucker for anything involving Benn and Eubank. Clash of the Titans is a great little doc.

Along them lines here's Benn vs Eubank: Gladiator which was on Channel 5 a few years back.

Part 1 -

it's meant to be a silly game but as usual with these 2 it gets serious and turns into a real contest. Nearly kicks off a few times.

And I fucking love this

Contract signing for Benn vs Eubank 1

"Letsth have thome parliamentary prothedure here"

classic

ITV showing 2 blokes sign their names on a bit of paper live on TV. That just shows how important this fight was back then.

• Paid Members

"I personally do hate him." An absolute immortal line.

ITV showing 2 blokes sign their names on a bit of paper live on TV. That just shows how important this fight was back then.

Absolutely. The whole thing was just enormous. Even going back to the Benn Vs Watson fight, it was only a Commonwealth title fight and Showtime sent their own production team over here to cover the fight, which would still be a massive deal now, even moreso then.

The rematch in 93 was still a great fight, but in my opinion, it lacked the venom that the first meeting had in abundance.

My dad and all of his brothers (who all five, except one, boxed both amatuer and professional ), saw Benn box live just after he turned pro (they saw him live in the ABA finals also), up here at the Leisure centre which I mentioned a few pages ago which was literally round the corner from my house, in 1987, something like his 10th pro outing and he took the guy out in the first, and from then on, we were a Nigel Benn supporting family as much as an SAFC supporting family. So we all lived that Benn V Eubank rivalry very closely, and intensely. Of course we were gutted when he lost. It's an incredible image in all of sport, the moment when Richard Steele steps in and stops the fight, and Benn, absolutley horrified that he had lost to THAT man, buried his face in Steele's chest and started to sob uncontrollably. I'll never forget it.

• Paid Members
The rematch in 93 was still a great fight, but in my opinion, it lacked the venom that the first meeting had in abundance.

I liked the rematch too, the first was better but I think their 2nd fight is underrated myself. Think the fight ending in a draw left a sour taste in a lot of people's mouths and they don't remember it as fondly.

That second fight was massive though. I'm jealous as fuck you were there. For some reason a vivid memory from my childhood from that fight is not the fight itself but it's from John McCririck's appearance on the live ITV broadcast. I couldn't stop laughing at him throwing punches.

just found the video of it, ITV's broadcast opening for Benn vs Eubank 2 (McCririck rears his ugly head about 8 mins in)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REx6tL3WW4w...nel_video_title

I still laughed at it all these years later, even Don King is looking at him with a 'what the fuck is this' look on his face. That music at the start of the vid is awesome too, brings back a lot of memories.

Couple of questions Taylor. What did you make of the draw verdict in Benn vs Eubank 2? I had Benn winning myself. I've seen people say they think it was some conspiracy, and they scored it a draw to get out of a clause in the contract that Don King would get the winner and loser. But it never mentioned a draw so he got neither :laugh: is this true? And if so that's gotta be one of the very rare times someone fucked over and got the better of Don King.

Also, how do you think the likes of Benn and Eubank would have done against the top American middleweights at the time like Roy Jones Jr and James Toney?

I'd have deffo had Jones beating both. He was about as untouchable as a boxer can get in the mid 90's. Both Benn and Eubank have pretty much admitted as much over the years. Toney vs either would've been interesting to see.

Benn talking about Jones in 1995

Edited by wandshogun09

• Moderators
just found the video of it, ITV's broadcast opening for Benn vs Eubank 2 (McCririck rears his ugly head about 8 mins in)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REx6tL3WW4w...nel_video_title

Absolutely chuffing love that intro music, top memories! Real saturday night stuff.

I didn't know this was live on Big Fight Live. Edited by ButchReedMark

• Paid Members

did anyone see the Joseph Agbeko/Abner Mares fight? i love me a little bit of controversy and this fight was littered with it. Mares continual low blows were just painful to watch, it was a good fight but the controversial nature of it kinda took away how good it was, the commentary team were livid. When Agbeko went down from a low blow in round 8 i honestly thought the ref. was going to take a point, when he scored it a knockdown my jaw dropped, unbelievable.

Props to Jim Gray for really getting in the refs. face afterwards and giving him a bit of a tonge lashing.