Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Khan-Kotelnik tonight, anyone getting it? i was gonna start a new thread but i thought i'd keep it in here. No doubt the Khan haters will be out in force, but it should be a interesting night. For the cheap fuckers amongst you, Nathan Cleverley's fight is free on itv4 at 8pm tonight. I'll be plussing that and watching it after Khan. Cleverley is tipped to be the next big thing, so check it.

also this...

Froch signs for Super Six series

Carl Froch at Madison Square Garden

Froch's fight against Dirrell will launch a new concept in boxing

Carl Froch is to defend his WBC super-middleweight belt against Andre Dirrell in the first fight of a 'Super Six Boxing Classic' series of bouts.

Nottingham's Froch has signed up for the new concept along with Dirrell, Arthur Abraham, Jermain Taylor, Andre Ward and WBA champion Mikkel Kessler.

All six super-middleweight boxers have agreed to fight any - and possibly all - five other contestants.

Froch, 32, is set to fight Dirrell in his home city in October.

At a media event at Madison Square Garden to launch the series, he declared: "I'm going to be the last man standing.

"This is what boxing is supposed to be about, with the best fighting the best. These are the kind of challenges I've always wanted and I'm really fired up for this tournament.

Froch believes that ultimately the series will come down to himself and Kessler but he is not taking a win over Dirrell for granted.

606: DEBATE

I think this is exactly what boxing, or more precisely the 168lb limit, needs. Well done Showtime

Knowsit17

"Right now he's something of an unknown quantity for me because I haven't seen very much of him. He's coming into this tournament on the back of a lot of hype and he certainly talks a good fight.

"He's unbeaten and he's some good scalps on his record so he's definitely a dangerous opponent for my first fight."

Ken Hershmann, the boss of American cable TV broadcaster Showtime Sports, said: "The 168lb division is the most talent-rich in boxing right now, and the Super Six structure will deliver one compelling match-up after another."

The six boxers involved have a combined tally of 161-4-1 with 117 knockouts, with Froch's record standing at 25-0 (20 KOs).

IBF middleweight champion Abraham (30-0, 24 KOs), of Germany will move up to challenge at 168lb.

Froch (left) with Kessler, Abraham, Dirrell and Taylor

Froch (left) with Kessler, Abraham, Dirrell and Taylor in New York

United States Olympic bronze medallist Dirrell has a record of 18-0 (13 KOs), and Denmark's Kessler is 41-1 (31 KOs), his sole defeat coming against Joe Calzaghe.

Former undisputed middleweight world champion Jermain Taylor is 28-3-1 (17 KOs), and US Olympic gold medallist and number one-ranked contender Ward is 19-0 (12 KOs).

In the first phase of the event, each fighter will face three different opponents over the next 12 months in a points-based competition. A win is worth two points, a draw one, with no points for a loss.

The four leading points scorers advance to the semi-finals, with the top-ranked facing the fourth, and second facing third.

The winners will meet in early 2011 for the inaugural Super Six World Boxing Classic trophy.

As well as Froch v Dirrell, the first group stage will also feature Taylor v Abraham, and Kessler v Ward - the latter for Kessler's WBA title.

Froch successfully defended his WBC title against Taylor last April in Connecticut with a dramatic stoppage 14 seconds from the final bell.

one of the most interesting things to happen in boxing in ages, i like it!

I don't hate Khan at all but I can't see him pulling this one off against a savvy fighter who's only lost twice and never been stopped. I've backed Kotelnik on points at 9.4. I don't necessarily want to be right but I can't see him doing it.

• Paid Members

Khan was fantastic last night. Wasn't a great fight, but his performance was near flawless.

Nathan Cleverley's fight is where the excitement was at last night, basically a one sides slug fest, but it was super entertaining.

Pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao will fight Miguel Cotto.

The Filipino phenomenon, the Ring Magazine's light-welterweight champion will take on the WBO welterweight boss in Las Vegas on November 14, according to promoter Bob Arum.

The fight will take place at a catchweight145lbs after a Pacquiao, whose last fight was the two-round destruction of Ricky Hatton at 140lbs, agreed to Cotto's demands.

The man is all talk and no action. He never had any intention of fighting Vitali. Hopefully Valuev shuts him up for good.

Stupid thing to say - the way the Klitschko contracts were made left David with a horribly poor deal, with far too many rematch clauses and hardly any money - especially with the fall of Setanta. At least this way against Valuev he'll get a better deal - and let's be honest, a better shot at the world title, which will ultimately lead to a bigger fight with one of the Klitschkos down the line.

The man is all talk and no action. He never had any intention of fighting Vitali. Hopefully Valuev shuts him up for good.

Stupid thing to say - the way the Klitschko contracts were made left David with a horribly poor deal, with far too many rematch clauses and hardly any money - especially with the fall of Setanta. At least this way against Valuev he'll get a better deal - and let's be honest, a better shot at the world title, which will ultimately lead to a bigger fight with one of the Klitschkos down the line.

I'm not sure it is necessarily a 'better shot'. I'd say it ranks inbetween the two Klitschko brothers in terms of difficulty. Valuev seems to have decent chin so you have to figure it has a good chance of going the distance and a 23stone man puching downwards at a chin that wilted against Carl Thompson for twleve rounds doesn't make anything a certainty.

Edited by Joe_the_Lion

I'm not sure it is necessarily a 'better shot'. I'd say it ranks inbetween the two Klitschko brothers in terms of difficulty. Valuev seems to have decent chin so you have to figure it has a good chance of going the distance and a 23stone man puching downwards at a chin that wilted against Carl Thompson for twleve rounds doesn't make anything a certainty.

I respect that, and I don't think that Valuev is as bad as people make, but he's a far easier prospect than either Klitschko - see the Holyfield fight for proof of that, Evander did him for 12 rounds and missed out on the decision for some farcical reason. Haye being about twenty years younger and twice as powerful as Holy is now should feel comfortable in knocking him out. If Chagaev can beat Valuev, then I'm sure Haye has a chance.