[NSFW] Less commercial or conventional hotties

The Sparkmeister

• 3 weeks later...
Before I go for my dinner, Sophia Myles from a bunch of not very good TV shows and Doctor Who:

Picture or no picture, I've met her and she's:-

A) hot in the flesh

B) awesomely funny & down-to-earth

Tennant was a lucky man. The only turn-off is the insistence that her name is pronounced "So-fire". Eck...

Before I go for my dinner, Sophia Myles from a bunch of not very good TV shows and Doctor Who:

Picture or no picture, I've met her and she's:-

A) hot in the flesh

B) awesomely funny & down-to-earth

Tennant was a lucky man. The only turn-off is the insistence that her name is pronounced "So-fire". Eck...

Only if you pronounce "fire" like an Englishman. Odd how y'all can't even speak your own language properly. :p

Is this about the bawbag 50 again? Let it go Kennington, let it go.

Well, don't you think it's odd? The English spread their language across the Empire - often at the expense of local tongues - meaning that if you speak English, you can have at least a rudimentary conversation with almost anyone in the world. Yet of all those English speakers, the only ones who don't do funny things like, y'know, pronounce all the letters in a word like "fire" are the English themselves. Most particularly, it's the Londoners - the ones who are closest to the seat of power, the ones who originally controlled the dictionaries and the ones who dictated that English should be the first language of the world.

It's just very odd. That's all.

Perhaps I'm missing something; how do you pronounce 'fire', Kenny?

He doesn't, the Scots haven't discovered it yet.

It's funny 'cos it's true. :(

And I pronounce it the way it's spelled, as opposed to dropping the R, as southern softies are wont to do. You must be aware of this - the posher you get, the worse the pronunciation, such that the Queen pronounces it as "faaaaa".

• Paid Members

Oh, I see what you meant. I was trying to work out how "So-fire" wasn't a good description of how her name should be pronounced as it puts emphasis on the fact that it's the "eye" sound as opposed to the "ee" sound. It didn't occur to me that it was about removing the rrr sound because, well, I grew up in Essex. Who am I to argue pronunciation with anyone? ;)

Oh, I see what you meant. I was trying to work out how "So-fire" wasn't a good description of how her name should be pronounced as it puts emphasis on the fact that it's the "eye" sound as opposed to the "ee" sound. It didn't occur to me that it was about removing the rrr sound because, well, I grew up in Essex. Who am I to argue pronunciation with anyone? ;)

Yeah, now you've got it. I'd have said she pronounced it "Soph-eye-ah". Of course, Gwailo may have meant it in the sense of the other English mispronounciation - adding an R on to the end of words ending in a vowel, so it becomes "Soph-eye-arrrr." But I don't think he's even a little bit Cockney, so probably not.

Anyway, hot women~!