[NSFW] Less commercial or conventional hotties

The Sparkmeister

• Paid Members
Perhaps I'm missing something; how do you pronounce 'fire', Kenny?

He doesn't, the Scots haven't discovered it yet.

It's funny 'cos it's true. :(

And I pronounce it the way it's spelled, as opposed to dropping the R, as southern softies are wont to do. You must be aware of this - the posher you get, the worse the pronunciation, such that the Queen pronounces it as "faaaaa".

You really need to go and tell off all those damn Poles who pronounce "Wrodslaw" as "Vrodswav" then. Honestly, either their spelling or their pronunciation's atrocious. And as for those swines, the Frenchies...

Honestly, Kenny, if you're being serious, I'd say that there's nowhere in the UK that pronounces English as it's spelt, seeing as there's no uniform spelling in English anyway. Glasweigians say "dae" even though it's spelt "do", Geordies say "hamborga" even though it's spelt "hamburger", Welsh say "getted" instead of "gutted", Scousers say "wha'" instead of "what" and South Easterners say "fia" instead of "fire".

There's no point worrying about such things.

• Paid Members
Oh, I see what you meant. I was trying to work out how "So-fire" wasn't a good description of how her name should be pronounced as it puts emphasis on the fact that it's the "eye" sound as opposed to the "ee" sound. It didn't occur to me that it was about removing the rrr sound because, well, I grew up in Essex. Who am I to argue pronunciation with anyone? ;)

Yeah, now you've got it. I'd have said she pronounced it "Soph-eye-ah". Of course, Gwailo may have meant it in the sense of the other English mispronounciation - adding an R on to the end of words ending in a vowel, so it becomes "Soph-eye-arrrr." But I don't think he's even a little bit Cockney, so probably not.

Cockneys don't put Rs on the end of things, that's South Westerners.

Oh, I see what you meant. I was trying to work out how "So-fire" wasn't a good description of how her name should be pronounced as it puts emphasis on the fact that it's the "eye" sound as opposed to the "ee" sound. It didn't occur to me that it was about removing the rrr sound because, well, I grew up in Essex. Who am I to argue pronunciation with anyone? ;)

Yeah, now you've got it. I'd have said she pronounced it "Soph-eye-ah". Of course, Gwailo may have meant it in the sense of the other English mispronounciation - adding an R on to the end of words ending in a vowel, so it becomes "Soph-eye-arrrr." But I don't think he's even a little bit Cockney, so probably not.

Cockneys don't put Rs on the end of things, that's South Westerners.

They all sound the same to me. :p