DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Omen ( 2006 )

Actually pretty good remake of a classic horror. Not quite as good as the original, but a decent way to spend the afternoon. Some great 'jump out of the skin' moments, and some good tension in there too. That dog is FRIGHTENING.

Hoodwinked

th_29215_Hoodwinked.jpg

A good family film, which is very entertaining & enjoyable, very funny, and has a good soundtrack. The film also has good cast (Anne Hathaway, Glenn Close, James Belushi, Patrick Warburton, Anthony Anderson, Xzibit, David Ogden Stiers, Chazz Palminteri, Andy Dick), and some good characters. On the negative side the plot twist is sadly a little obvious, people might be put-off by the unspectacular animation (due to a low-budget), and the movie is short at only 75-minutes, but there is enough in the film for both adults & children to enjoy.

(***)

You really should. It's stunning.

I'm sure it is, I've never encountered anyone who has a bad word to say about it, yet for some reason I can never be bothered to put it on. I'll have to force myself to watch it sometime this week if I can find the time.

• Paid Members

Not on DVD as such, but I'm just into the second series of Veronica Mars now. All my regular TV shows have finished so I thought I'd give it a go and, inevitably, I got hooked.

Kristen Bell is awesome in every way, but aside from that the show is pretty watchable in its own right. Logan Echolls in particular is an excellent character, which makes up for certain others coming accross as a bit simplistic and stereotypical. The season-long murder mystery is suitably interesting and information on it is revealed at about the right pace to keep it interesting, with the individual single episode issues providing their own entertainment. There's some witty dialogue and knowing in-jokes too, including one particular so-bad-its-good pre-credits scene that ends with the words to the theme song.

Some good cameo appearances too, Antony Anderson, Kevin Smith, Alyson Hannigan and Charisma Carpenter have all shown up so far.

The high school, California rich kids with issues and the fact that the actors are invariably much older than their characters draws inevitable comparisons with The OC, but it is definitely different enough to be given a chance even if you hated that show. Personally I like them both as throw away, easy to watch TV.

Season three starts in September, the plan is to make Season 2 last until then. I seriously doubt I'll manage it though.

You really should. It's stunning.

I'm sure it is, I've never encountered anyone who has a bad word to say about it, yet for some reason I can never be bothered to put it on. I'll have to force myself to watch it sometime this week if I can find the time.
I agree with Mr Seven.But A word of caution.1. Make sure you have the time free.2. Make sure you're of a mind to concentrateIt really is a film that deserves your full concentration so only watch it when you're ready. I am sure you won't be dissapointed.

• Paid Members

Ebb, that is an entertaining, thoughtful and funny comment. I really enjoyed it. Higly enjoyable, although a little short, weighing in at only two lines.(***)

I thought your review was slow, dragged in places, with little entertainment to be found.

Ebb, that is an entertaining, thoughtful and funny comment. I really enjoyed it. Higly enjoyable, although a little short, weighing in at only two lines.(***)

I thought your review was slow, dragged in places, with little entertainment to be found.
Keep them coming!

United 93

Pretty harrowing stuff here, it has to be said. Brilliant account of people who have, indeed, accepted their fate, and decided to do everything in their power to change it. Most people who watch it will probably be moved by it. Especially the last few minutes.