DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

I've just finished watching Dune. As I'm at a location without a DVD player, I had to choose from a small selection of VHS. I only point this out because I assume/hope the DVD release has been remastered. The print this VHS version was taken from is filthy, shakey, and the colours aren't consistant throughout various scenes. This is a poor quality release.

Anyhow, the film's enjoyabe enough, although it does drag in scenes that feel like they're there just to show how epic the film is, and how much it cost.

The special effects have dated quite badly, with colour castes on the bluescreen scenes, sub quality Dykstrascope style shots and rotoscoping. The computer generated shield suits still look pretty good though, with the eras limited CGI ability giving it some style.

The soundtrack still holds up though.

Harry Knowles's Terminator Salvation review went up yesterday, and here's an interesting Tweet he just made regarding that:

woke up to confused, angry, betrayed, embarrassed txt msgs on my phone from McG

So in other words, he sucked McG's cock until review time. Harry Knowles is a fucking parasite.

• Moderators
Harry Knowles's Terminator Salvation review went up yesterday, and here's an interesting Tweet he just made regarding that:

woke up to confused, angry, betrayed, embarrassed txt msgs on my phone from McG

So in other words, he sucked McG's cock until review time. Harry Knowles is a fucking parasite.

Whut? From the stuff in my earlier post, it looks more like McG fake-buddied up to Harry with a view to buttering him up, but the movie plain stunk and Harry wasn't afraid to say so. What if he'd given a good review? Not a parasite because he repaid that Terminator head from McG with a glowing article?

I like Harry a lot. I don't buy into all this shit about him being easily bribed or swayed with tickets or starry chats, he's just a guy who absolutely lives movies and is wildly passionate about them to the point of polarising people because he usually LOVES or HATES something. That part sounds like someone else around here. I know he's "in" now, as far as his opinions carrying weight (no fatty puns plz) but I love that he's kept the exact same attitude he had a decade ago when he was pretty much doing what we do in this thread, while rooting around for stories to break. You should get his book, it's a real eye-opener about how AICN got big, as well as an absolutely bizarre story about a guy who lead a bunch of people, Harry included, on a merry dance saying he was making the LOTR trilogy.

I've just finished watching Dune. As I'm at a location without a DVD player, I had to choose from a small selection of VHS. I only point this out because I assume/hope the DVD release has been remastered. The print this VHS version was taken from is filthy, shakey, and the colours aren't consistant throughout various scenes. This is a poor quality release.

Anyhow, the film's enjoyabe enough, although it does drag in scenes that feel like they're there just to show how epic the film is, and how much it cost.

The special effects have dated quite badly, with colour castes on the bluescreen scenes, sub quality Dykstrascope style shots and rotoscoping. The computer generated shield suits still look pretty good though, with the eras limited CGI ability giving it some style.

I've got the good DVD release, and it's pretty good. The colour balance is fantastic, the effects and bluesceen all sits pretty well. The best thing is the proper widescreen - if you were watching the old 4:3 VHS, you literally missed 1/2 of the set design, which is one of the film's strong points.

It's an uncompromisingly hardcore scifi, plus it's Lynch, so it's not exactly a mainstream film, but I still think it's enjoyable.

• Paid Members

I've got the good DVD release, and it's pretty good. The colour balance is fantastic, the effects and bluesceen all sits pretty well. The best thing is the proper widescreen - if you were watching the old 4:3 VHS, you literally missed 1/2 of the set design, which is one of the film's strong points.

It's an uncompromisingly hardcore scifi, plus it's Lynch, so it's not exactly a mainstream film, but I still think it's enjoyable.

Considering it's a very special effects laden film, do you think it'll have a big CGI'd remake in the near future?

Considering it's a very special effects laden film, do you think it'll have a big CGI'd remake in the near future?

Well they already remade it once as a tv mini series in 2000, but it looks as though a full hollywood remake is in the works.

• Paid Members
I saw 12 Rounds last night. Went in with really really low expectations, but its actally pretty decent. Nothing great by any means, pretty standard action fare, but its ok and worth a watch if you dont want something too engaging.

My girlfriend said to me the other day "I love John Cena". She doesn't watch much wrestling so I was confused why and she said she'd just watched 12 rounds and thought it was mint. :angry: