DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

Saw Star Trek yesterday, and I think it's fucking brilliant. Great acting, great action, great effects, even the plot wasn't too bad either, though a little formulaic. I can safely say this is a movie I will definitely watch again, and try to get on Blu-Ray when it's available.

That said, I am a bit of a hardcore Trekker, so I do prefer the original story universe - mainly because there's so much more of it, and it's had more time to be developed. Plus, I've pretty much grown up with it. Additionally, as awesome as this new movie is, I'm not entirely happy with

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Vulcan and Romulus getting destroyed. They're both significant parts of the Star Trek universe. But I will wait and see if Abrams comes up with a second movie to further this storyline.

You have to remember Romulous was 'in the future' so it's not set to happen for a long time. Vulcan was a huge shock though!

Vulcans as an Endangered Species? 2 Spocks in the same universe? Sounds like fun.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Added some discussion to your spoiler. Really don't look if you haven't seen it yet!

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Added some discussion to your spoiler. Really don't look if you haven't seen it yet!

And more on that ;) Though again - if you haven't seen it, spoilers ahoy!

Though the 25 years for Nero was cut out as it distracted from the film, I'd presume he either killed the star that killed Romulus, did something to it to stop it dying for a while or planned to but couldn't because now he's dead.

I think it was a brave choice to take out that part of Star Trek and a nice way of saying nothings certain. The problem wth a full on prequel is having to tie everything up - we know everyones fate so with the alt universe it sets aside some freedom. Good choice and it makes it (I hate to recycle PR) more accessible to newbies.

Plus in the (very) unlikely event they go back to the Prime universe they have enough to shake that up too, though it's very very doubtful. That universe was done.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Though theres more on the latter part of that here with writer Roberto Orci.

Edited by Evolution

Superhero Movie - Not as dreadful as I expected and it actually made me laugh a few times, although I'm in no hurry to watch it again.

From Dusk Till Dawn - Would've loved to have seen this and not known anything about it beforehand. Still one of my favourite films for memorable lines, including this peach:

"Did they look like psychos? Is that what they looked like? They were vampires. Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"

I have to agree with you.

I thought it would be terrible but quite enjoyed it, even though it had that one out of Drake & Josh.

• Paid Members

And more on that ;) Though again - if you haven't seen it, spoilers ahoy!

Though the 25 years for Nero was cut out as it distracted from the film, I'd presume he either killed the star that killed Romulus, did something to it to stop it dying for a while or planned to but couldn't because now he's dead.

I think it was a brave choice to take out that part of Star Trek and a nice way of saying nothings certain. The problem wth a full on prequel is having to tie everything up - we know everyones fate so with the alt universe it sets aside some freedom. Good choice and it makes it (I hate to recycle PR) more accessible to newbies.

Plus in the (very) unlikely event they go back to the Prime universe they have enough to shake that up too, though it's very very doubtful. That universe was done.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Though theres more on the latter part of that here with writer Roberto Orci.

Hmmmm, interesting. Given that premise, it's definitely something I can get on board with. Either way, it doesn't change my original opinion of the movie, which is that it was fucking brilliant.

• Paid Members

There's not much I can say about Star Trek that hasn't already been said but does anyone else think that a few of the big events in the film lacked some impact? Given the gravity of what's in the spoilers, the movie didn't really make me emote with it in a way I would expect.

Edit: Pun unintentional. Although I kinda wish it had been.

Edited by elegia

Superhero Movie - Not as dreadful as I expected and it actually made me laugh a few times, although I'm in no hurry to watch it again.

From Dusk Till Dawn - Would've loved to have seen this and not known anything about it beforehand. Still one of my favourite films for memorable lines, including this peach:

"Did they look like psychos? Is that what they looked like? They were vampires. Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"

I thought it would be terrible but quite enjoyed it, even though it had that one out of Drake & Josh.

Havng an 11 year old son, I know what Drake & Josh is. Who out of Drake & Josh is in From Dusk Til Dawn?

Havng an 11 year old son, I know what Drake & Josh is. Who out of Drake & Josh is in From Dusk Til Dawn?

I'm guessing they mean Superhero Movie

There's not much I can say about Star Trek that hasn't already been said but does anyone else think that a few of the big events in the film lacked some impact? Given the gravity of what's in the spoilers, the movie didn't really make me emote with it in a way I would expect.

Edit: Pun unintentional. Although I kinda wish it had been.

A few fans have said that on TrekBBS - but I think it was needed for the pace. There could be a tonne of arguments for it, such as being trained to focus on eliminating the threat and the rest comes later, but there are some scenes in there that work tat angle for me. The biggest of which s a spoiler and a half, so I'll say nothing more.

There was also a lot of stuff cut to keep the pace alive and as they were distracting from the main plot. I only know little bits of what was cut (such as Nero in those 25 years and Spocks birth - both of which were in the trailers), so no idea if there was an intention to show more on that.

Theres also the gap between the fans and the general audience - big event to the fans, but the general audience wouldn't care as much.

As they say on the streets, "my bad".

• Paid Members

I tried watching Knocked Up, but turned it off about 20 minutes before the end. It was shit. Seth Rogen's "comedy" seems to consist of him being a Jew who swears and says "vagina" like it's the most shocking thing ever.

It's also a ridiculously long film. Over 2 hours for an unimaginitive rom-com with added swearing?

So I watched Alien with the commentary track on it. Even though it was obviously pooled from 3 or four recording sessions, it was still interesting to listen to, and it's still a cracking film.

I might watch Aliens tomorrow, although I don't think there's a commentary track on it.

The night before last I watched Dragon From Russia, also with the commentary track on. Instead of Bey Logan, it's by HK based stuntman Jude Poyer and director Clarence Ford. Definately not as good as the Bey commentaries usually are, but enjoyable enough.

The film itself was more enjoyable the second time round. The first time I watched it I was really disappointed, as it's a very new wave film, which isn't my thing, and all the hype I'd heard about Sam Hui's athleticism meant fuck all as he was doubled for a lot of it and on wires for the rest.

With lower expectations, I quite enjoyed it this time and noticed that when they were on location (such as on the underground train) and couldn't set up aa wire rig, the action scenes were a lot better.

And Maggie Cheung's in it, who gives me the horn.

As they say on the streets, "my bad".

I tried bolding the specific bit I was referring to, but it went drastically wrong.

Yeh, Superhero Movie is a surprisingly decent film. It's not great or anything, but it's good throwaway fun. Plus, Leslie Nielsen's in it and that man's like a God to me.

I tried watching Knocked Up, but turned it off about 20 minutes before the end. It was shit. Seth Rogen's "comedy" seems to consist of him being a Jew who swears and says "vagina" like it's the most shocking thing ever.

It's also a ridiculously long film. Over 2 hours for an unimaginitive rom-com with added swearing.

Knocked Up is nothing special. And it seriously drags.

Last night, I watched The Story of Ricky. It's meant to be a classic as far as ridiculous over-the-top splatter comedies go, but I was kind of underwhelmed by it. The gorey fun is there and is quite memorable, but it feels you might as well just skip to those parts because it's not consistently funny (i.e. even without the silly violence), whereas Peter Jackson's Braindead, which it's usually placed in the same league as, is great throughout.

Edited by Vice

MY only issue with Star Trek was not knowing what was going on during some times of panic/confusion/fights as the screen sometimes became so cluttered with CGI, people, smoke, fire, explosions etc. I understand this is needed to enhance the situation but sometimes it felt like ti was too much and i had difficulty understanding what the fuck was going on