DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

Sin City (Region 1)

A great film, which looks amazing, and has a great cast, a good soundtrack, 4 interesting and entertaining stories, and some great characters. The movie is full of dark humour, looks and feels like a comic book, and is wonderfully violent. Also the thought and effort that has gone into converting Frank Miller

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

I finally saw 'Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind' on Saturday. We watched the first 10 mins a few months ago but were too tired to watch it all.Anyway, the wife gave in about 25 mins in and went to bed, but I watched it.It was OK, I was intrigued by it. I wouldn't watch it again. Was a very strange film, original I suppose, and not too difficult to keep track of. The sequences with the 'brain clearing' were fantastic. I only felt a little let dow by the flat ending. i think it tries hard to steer away from the overused RomCom ending but I didn't think it worked.Carrey was excellent. First time I've seen him play anything but the clown in a film. Winslet was also very good as the mixed up girl. I hate Elijah Wood, ugly wooden gimp. Dunst and Wilkinson were well cast in their roles.Anyone seen it? Very strange film.

• Paid Members

I finally saw 'Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind' on Saturday. We watched the first 10 mins a few months ago but were too tired to watch it all.Anyway, the wife gave in about 25 mins in and went to bed, but I watched it.It was OK, I was intrigued by it. I wouldn't watch it again. Was a very strange film, original I suppose, and not too difficult to keep track of. The sequences with the 'brain clearing' were fantastic. I only felt a little let dow by the flat ending. i think it tries hard to steer away from the overused RomCom ending but I didn't think it worked.Carrey was excellent. First time I've seen him play anything but the clown in a film. Winslet was also very good as the mixed up girl. I hate Elijah Wood, ugly wooden gimp. Dunst and Wilkinson were well cast in their roles.Anyone seen it? Very strange film.

Eternal Sunshine is magnificent. Considering how the film plays out i think the ending works perfectly. I'd struggle to find many a better way to finish the film. A desicive finish isn't required and quite frankly wouldn't have worked at all.I insist you watch it again. You'll appreciate it a whole lot more upon second viewing.Really, it's fantastic. I'm not one for giving ratings, but this is 5* without a doubt.

Guest donnie wwf

Another mean creek fan here! I agree with previous comments that this is a powerful movie. All the kids cast in this movie were great especially Josh Peck (George) who gave an awesome performance in this film. Josh Peck is better known for his role as Josh in Nickelodeon show Drake and Josh. I highly recommend this movie.

Evil Woman

I loved this. It's daft, with an outrageous plot, but brilliant if not taken seriously.

I don't know how popular this is, it's got Jack Black and Jason Biggs in it, so I would have thought it would be pretty popular. It came out not too long after the American Pie success.

8/10 for me.

Hey, so I watched Brokeback Mountain last night. And it’s actually really good.

I normally hate the movie that people know will win the Oscars. It’s like being told you will enjoy something. But this was actually fantastic. A deft touch of polemic from Ang Lee (Although that Wyoming scenery really directs itself) lifts your heart up with the mountains, whilst the lead performances (Especially Ledger, who was superb) keep you grounded with the story, not the panoramics.

The sense of impending doom is palpable throughout, in much the same way as in Of Mice And Men. And when the end comes, even though you knew it wouldn’t end well, you can’t help but be crushed. The person I saw it with claimed her life was ruined.

My only (Slight) criticism of the movie was some subtle changes from the story. Most of it is intact, but I feel an effort was made to draw a line between the tenderness of the relationship and the, let’s face it, rough anal sex. Hollywood, it seems, is still not ready for the concept of two men having sex being a loving act.

All in all, a great film and recommended.

• Paid Members

everyone i have asked have refused to go see brokeback mountain due to the fact that its about gay cowboys...despite the fact that its recieved ***** reviews in every tabloid going, they still refuse.so they go and watch underworld II instead :/

Sleepy Hollow

I'm the only person I know who did not like this film. Maybe it was my fault, tbh I didn't fully grasp exactly what was going on during the film and the story that was going on through it. I'm not sure if that's my fault though or the films fault. The cinematography and aesthetics were very cool to look at but after that I was bored.

5/10

Munich

Spielberg's new one about the response to the terrorist attack at the 1972 Munich olympic games. The film is brilliant and probably the darkest thing he's ever done. The violence is shocking, cold, abrupt and deeply unapologetic. Also, it being Spielberg you're expecting his typical Hollywood happy ending and schmaltzy sentiment, but for once you don't get it, and the film is all the more important for it.

Essential.

• Paid Members

Jacob's LadderPretty good, weird as fuck, some creepy imagery and a crazy ending which I didn't see coming. But I felt it was missing something. Maybe it was just my hatred of Tim Robbins in anything other than Shawshank.

• Paid Members

Jacob's LadderPretty good, weird as fuck, some creepy imagery and a crazy ending which I didn't see coming. But I felt it was missing something. Maybe it was just my hatred of Tim Robbins in anything other than Shawshank.

The Firm

Short and sharp, like a jab to the face. This was very good, real realistic although I'm sure if it was on TV now there wouldn't be such a brouhaha about the film. Worth watching for the amazing performance by Gary Oldman in this film, and a young Phil Mitchell. But definitely worth watching and buying.

8/10

Munich

I was very excited about seeing this film but unfortunately it didn't live up to expectations, I didn't quite understand what was going on. I wasn't up on the whole Munich thing before I watched the film and I thought that it would be explained during the film without sacrifice to story (being Spielberg) but it wasn't and I was bored throughout a lot of the film. I think I'd like it a lot more if I was more clued up on the subject but for right now, not for me.

5/10