DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched 'How To Lose Friends & Alienate People' last night.I pretty much worship Simon Pegg and he was great as always in this, but while I did think the film was pretty good it has very little re-watchability for me. And seeing Pegg involved in Farrelly Brothers style gags like throwing a dead dog out of a window and taking prat-falls while drunk seemed a bit beneath him to a fanboy like me. :blush:I will still get the dvd though if Pegg is part of a commentary.I hated the Mary-Jane character in all 3 Spiderman films, so was surprised to find myself liking Kirstin Dunst in this, and I got a big kick out of seeing a few 'Spaced' references as it went on:- as Sidney became successful there is a scene where he is looking through his address book with famous names in it. The first one that jumped out at me was "Wright, Edgar".- I spent 5 minutes wondering where I had seen the Wizard Dentist before, before remembering him as the angry waiter in the food-fight scene in 'Spaced' series 2.- I felt proud for Pegg when I realised that ten years ago he was writing a character for himself who worshipped Gillian Anderson, and now here he was sharing the big screen with her.Also, I got a kick out of this quote from Toby Young (whose life the film was based on) when reading about the movie last year:

A BBC Interviewer recently asked (Toby Young, who the film is based on) how he was going to make the protagonist sympathetic?"Do you mean how am I going to transform someone as loathsome and despicable as Toby Young into a character that the audience will root for?""Exactly.""Two words: Simon Pegg."

:thumbsup:Also, I trust Ricky Gervais to only be part of good projects and not just appear in any old shite. But I wasn't convinced when I saw the trailer for his next film, 'Ghost Town'.

• Paid Members

Why so?

Because I hate him with every fibre of my being.He's not funny, he never was funny and should just die.
he makes me laugh.
you're entitled to your opinion.
I liked Ricky Gervais in everything but FAME.

Meh. I like Office and Extras but his stand up is terrible. i'm sorry but he comes over to me as constantly smug cause he owns an encarta.

I guess where the passionate hatred comes from.He seems so smug and so sure of his own comic ability because he's got Jonathan Ross and the wild bandwagon Americans telling him how great he is.

• Moderators

Meh. I like Office and Extras but his stand up is terrible. i'm sorry but he comes over to me as constantly smug cause he owns an encarta.

I guess where the passionate hatred comes from.He seems so smug and so sure of his own comic ability because he's got Jonathan Ross and the wild bandwagon Americans telling him how great he is.
Nah. He was smug before Americans even knew who he was.