DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Paid Members

After a recommendation from Mr. Seven (i think?) and seeing it pop up in a couple of 'favourite film ever' threads here and elswhere i decided to watch Glengarry Glenn Ross. Pretty amazing adaptation i have to say, every single one of the characters involved from top to bottom were so convincing it was scary but Jack Lemmon in particular was top drawer. It did seem to end very quickly though, seemed rather abrupt. I know the dialog and screenplay was that good and sequential that it tied everything up and you knew what the end outcome was with the double swerve on the robbery but it was almost teasing you to want to see a broken man get caught and how he'd handle the prospect of jail or whatever followed.I'll probably watch this again during the week on my days off as there is usually a lot of subtle touches on these films which don't sink in upon first viewing. Very impressed though.

This movie is just awesome and you'll be hard pressed to find a better cast, top to bottom, than this. Alec Baldwin should have gone onto greater things based on his performance in this film but it just never seemed to happen. In a career full of fantastic performances I still rate this as one of Jack Lemons best, alongside The China Syndrome although his character has been tainted slightly by the awesomness that is Gill in the Simpsons
on the subject of Alec Baldwin, anyone recommend any good shit he's done, ive always liked his stuff but aint actually seen that much...fantastic in The Cooler, The Edge & Beetlejuice...anymore?

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Le diner de cons.Was flicking through the channels a few months back and came across this. It's a French comedy about a group of friends who every few weeks have a dinner party where they have to invite the biggest idiot they can find to generally take the piss out of. Anyway, before one of the parties one of the group splits up with his wife and then does his back in, she runs off and he is unable to follow. Then the idiot arrives to go to the party and gets embroiled in the guys efforts to win back his wife. Then the comedy begins with a mix of misunderstandings and very good phone oriented jokes. If you like Frasier or to a lesser extent Curb your Enthusiasm, it could be for you.

• Paid Members

Le diner de cons.Was flicking through the channels a few months back and came across this. It's a French comedy about a group of friends who every few weeks have a dinner party where they have to invite the biggest idiot they can find to generally take the piss out of. Anyway, before one of the parties one of the group splits up with his wife and then does his back in, she runs off and he is unable to follow. Then the idiot arrives to go to the party and gets embroiled in the guys efforts to win back his wife. Then the comedy begins with a mix of misunderstandings and very good phone oriented jokes. If you like Frasier or to a lesser extent Curb your Enthusiasm, it could be for you.

I thought this film would be a lot better after everyone had raved about it, now their remaking it, I should imagine it'll be repeated again, I might catch it again

• Paid Members

I thought he was great in the Departed, especially when he just snaps during the stakeout

oh yeh forgot about that. i thought he was the unsung star of the supporting cast, no one ever mentioned Baldwin in the reviews.

Fracture

Really boring, goes nowhere, contains horrible acting (especially from Rosamund Pike) and possibly the worst and most difficult to decipher accent I've ever heard in a film, courtesy of Anthony Hopkins. It's not quite Irish, it's not quite Welsh, but it's mumbly and ridiculous.

Guest Josh Jenkins

Superbad

Wow, this was brilliant. Easily in the top 3 funniest films of the year. Seth Rogen and the other cop (don't know his name) steal the show, but the rest of the cast are just as funny. If you enjoyed Knocked Up, go and see this!

And the guy down the front pissing himself laughing made the film that much better.

1408: Good film, hoping it would follow the book, it does and doesn't which is a shame. good film though.Mr Brooks: Quite surprised me but is a bit weird to explain...Superbad: Could be amercian pie for this generation, WILL make you laugh even if some of it sucks, seth rogen steals the show and the bit where the cops are shooting the stop sign and they here the sirens and run off screaming it's the cops sticks in my mind.

if your remotely a Carpenter fan you have to own The Thing, fucking brilliant.im a Carpenter fanboy, heck i even like the newer shit...Ghost of Mars is fucking quality!

I'm a massive Carpenter fan but thats too fucking far :laugh: From his later work i liked Vampires, i only really got to like it on second viewing plus its helped by the fact James Woods is in it not great but still daft fun. Daniel Baldwin fucking terrible though.

Somebody else fucking watched it :thumbsup: I knew nothing about it going in but after the first 5 minutes of not knowing where it's going i just laughed my arse off all the way through. Nail on the head with the Fraiser comparisons.

I thought this film would be a lot better after everyone had raved about it, now their remaking it, I should imagine it'll be repeated again, I might catch it again

Fucking no good sons of bitches :crazy: i'd not heard thatEDIT: just checked on wiki and it's already been remade in Hindi :hmmm:Bheja Fry Edited by ultimo the great

I watched Knocked Up the other day, didn't really find it funny. Did anyone else find it disappointing?

Reno 911 Miami. I've not seen the TV show so this was my first time seeing the characters and I loved it, really stupid but very funny. The Rock's cameo was great too. Funniest film I've seen since Blades of Glory.

The Condemmed Steve Austin was really good, some good action and worth watching but there's nothing surprising or original. JR's seen it 3 times, remember. He's buying the DVD so it's the type of film you really want to watch again and again so you can pick up on the things you missed 5th time around.

• Paid Members

Superbad - not as good as Knocked Up, but it's pretty f'n funny...very juvenile and very foul mouthed but it had me giggling all the way through. If you like that kinda thing, see it.

Shoot 'Em Up - completely fucking ridiculous...dont go in expecting anything resembling tension or decent story telling, just go in expecting shitty one liners and lots of stupid ott action. I really enjoyed it, it's non-stop and real easy viewing. Don't expect a John Woo knock off (like the reviews have been saying), it's much stupider than that.