DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

I do if it means I find them boring and therefore means I find the film less enjoyable. Why would I purposely bore and annoy myself? That would like wanking and then purposely stopping before climax, a waste of time and energy when I could just get on with what I enjoy.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night I saw X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

Short review: its sucks. Save your money.

Longer review: It's two hours of Huge Action posing and looking vascular. The screenplay is largely without wit and, I can't believe I'm saying this, suffers when Ryan Reynolds disappears from the screen. Stuff just happens, characters react in really stupid ways to things, some of the effects look atrocious (especially at the end, when there's a series of the worst effects you'll see this side of Doctor Who) and it leaves some big plotholes, leading into X-Men.

A pile of arse.

In better news, I'm seeing Star Trek again on Thursday, this time in Gigant-o-vision at the IMAX. Bring it on!

I watched X-Men Origins: Wolverine last night too. But i wouldn't say it outright sucks, it's just an average superhero film.

I have to say the montage for the title sequence was a thing of beauty. And there was lots of fighting, shooting and blowing things up. The downfall for me was the sheer amount of time Wolverine (in all his phases) spent on his knees yelling 'Errrraggh' into the sky. Very crap.

There were some good jokes in places and me and my brother found it quite an enjoyable film. Not a classic by any means but a fun little film nonetheless.

I just found it stupid.

- Logan & Victor win wars by punching people.

- "They've got my sister!" "Where is she?" "In this prison we're standing right next to..."

- The "werewolf" stuff.

- People get shot, slashed, stabbed (a lot), impaled, blown up and operated on and there's not one single drop of blood. Fuck the PG-13 rating.

And then it turns into Mortal Kombat (compelete with Baraka), followed by a seriously lame ending.

Bollocks of the highest order, says I.

I agree with gwailofilms, Wolverine is worth avoiding. It was painful to watch at times just trying to work out how they could make something this bad, with that much money.

Schreiber was as good as ever, though.

Edited by Fallout Boy

• Paid Members
Does this mean we're getting Origins films for all the X-Men? Cos thats going to be shit

I was given to believe that there's going to be three in total. There's to be one for Magneto, but I don't know whose the third would be. I was hoping Deadpool or Gambit, but, given their appearances in Wolverine, I doubt this will be the case. It'll probably be Cyclops.

For me personally, I didn't think Wolverine: Origins was all that bad. I didn't go in expecting high-brow cinema, and as a fun bit of action, I think it delivers. When you take into account that it's supposed to be a partial re-boot of Wolverine, it becomes pretty pointless fretting over plot-holes. Obviously, the main one is the Sabretooth saga - they're brothers, so why didn't Logan experience flashbacks when fighting him in the first X-Men movie, or why didn't Sabretooth say something to him? If you can let this sort of thing go and just enjoy the movie as a standalone, it's worth sitting back to watch.

Obviously, the main one is the Sabretooth saga - they're brothers, so why didn't Logan experience flashbacks when fighting him in the first X-Men movie, or why didn't Sabretooth say something to him? If you can let this sort of thing go and just enjoy the movie as a standalone, it's worth sitting back to watch.

More obvious to me was,

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

if this is a prequel how come none of the future X-kids he saves recognise him when he shows up at Xavier's institute in the first X-Men film?

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

And don't get me wrong I did try to enjoy it, it's just... well... I didn't. Even as just a silly action movie.

• Paid Members
Obviously, the main one is the Sabretooth saga - they're brothers, so why didn't Logan experience flashbacks when fighting him in the first X-Men movie, or why didn't Sabretooth say something to him? If you can let this sort of thing go and just enjoy the movie as a standalone, it's worth sitting back to watch.

More obvious to me was,

if this is a prequel how come none of the future X-kids he saves recognise him when he shows up at Xavier's institute in the first X-Men film?

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

And don't get me wrong I did try to enjoy it, it's just... well... I didn't. Even as just a silly action movie.

That's fair enough - but like I said, it rather helps to see it more of a partial re-boot/retcon rather than a full-scale prequel. You don't have to, but I find it does help enjoyment.

I did like the touch they managed with Cyclops, i.e. he couldn't see him to recognise him later. Just a shame they couldn't be that creative with anyone else.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

I actually enjoyed Wolverine.

I haven't seen any X Men films, and have very limited interested in the franchise as a whole. Perhaps that helped.

What I will say, though, is that the film loses an awful lot of charisma and charm once Reynolds is removed from the mix. I'm actually a fan of Ryan Reynolds when he sticks to what he's good at it; the cool, laid back style that seems naturally funny, but with some underlying dork. And, for the brief time he spent on the screen he really made the difference. That sort of quickfire dialogue and quips would have improved the film if used throughout, I think.

• Paid Members
What I will say, though, is that the film loses an awful lot of charisma and charm once Reynolds is removed from the mix. I'm actually a fan of Ryan Reynolds when he sticks to what he's good at it; the cool, laid back style that seems naturally funny, but with some underlying dork. And, for the brief time he spent on the screen he really made the difference. That sort of quickfire dialogue and quips would have improved the film if used throughout, I think.

This I definitely agree with. I know Reynolds seems to be a bit of a one-trick pony, but even if that were true, he does that one trick ever so well.

I was massively disappointed to see the resulting Deadpool character with his most distinctive personality trait removed, even though I got the logic behind it.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

I agree, Not enough Deadpool in the film. I watched the Leaked DVD version so apart from laughing at the unfinished SFX's it wasn't a bad film, but parts didn't make sense as people have talked about above.

This was on IMDB

"In the X-Men films, one thing that is emphasized is that Wolverine lost a lot of his memory after Weapon X. Presumably, that includes the majority of his history with Sabretooth. It can probably be assumed that Sabretooth had something similar occur at some point between this film and "X-Men." However, it is hinted throughout the first X-Men film that they hazily recognize each other. Wolverine's reaction to Sabretooth's scent in the beginning, Sabretooth stealing (and wearing) Wolverine's dog tags (not to mention Sabretooth specifically stopping and going back to Magneto's desk to grab the dogtags after his & Wolverine's first encounter), and their aggressive duel at the top of the Statue of Liberty all hint at a prior relationship."

Wolverine

This is the most cliche movie I think I've ever seen. I probably predicted the entire storyline in about twenty minutes and it was painful to watch. So Wolverine's jacket and bike are indestructible too? And if he has his memory wiped how did he find them again later? The only thing that was ok about this entire film was the Gambit, Deadpool and Sabertooth characters.