DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone remember an advert posted on here about a japanese film featuring a woman machine/terminator looking for revenge etc?.. Cant remember if it was a fake or real?

The Machine Girl

Its real, any decent torrent site should have it.

Is that the one with the rather fetching drill bra?

I got Vulgar and Drawing Flies way back after I first saw Dogma and was thinking Smith and Jason Lee could do no wrong.

Fast forward to after seeing An Evening With Kevin Smith 2 and Clerks 2 and I'm almost at the same embarrassed stage that Mr Seven is at.

Having said that, the reviews saying ZAMMAP is more of a cross between older Smith and recent Apatow, I have pretty high expectations for it and a mate who has just seen An Evening With Kevin Smith 3 says it is excellent, almost as good as the first one.

So maybe he's getting back on track.

I finally got round to seeing it at the cinema last night (surprised it was still showing, as my local Vue cinema only showed blockbusters like Dark Knight & Iron Man for 2 weeks each), and I enjoyed it.

I don't have much more to add to the reviews on pages 32 & 33 of this topic, except to say that Mewes performance had me in stitches, I liked Justin Long for the first time ever, and Smith's "obsession" with his wife (his words, not mine) knows no bounds. After she was the supposed sexy love interest in Clerks 2, he cast her in this film playing an old school friend of Seth Rogen and Brandon Routh ... who are both 10 YEARS YOUNGER THAN HER!

All day today I've been thinking where I had seen the big-titted blonde who played Stacy.

Stuff like 'California Dreams' and 'Malibu CA' crossed my mind, but a quick check on IMDB reminded me that I saw her in 'Black Dicks In White Chicks 3'. :thumbsup:

Edited by dopper

• Admin

Talking of Zack & Miri, if you listen to Smith & Mosier's podcast (SModcast) the latest episode is called 'The talking cure pt 1' which sounds like it might be a post mortem of the film, which I'm assuming flopped at the box office. I didn't go see it and I've no desire to either, I just feel like Smith jumped on the Rogan bandwagon (who really isn't all that great anyway in my opinion).

Probably a bad idea if I'm ever gonna watch it, but I'm gonna listen to the podcast first rather than sit through the film itself.

Question for the Dark Knight fans. Gordon says at the end that Harvey killed five people. I count the bald cop, the amazing Eric Roberts and his driver and uh, that's it. Are they including Dent himself as one of the five people killed? If so, that makes four... who am I missing?

• Moderators
Question for the Dark Knight fans. Gordon says at the end that Harvey killed five people. I count the bald cop, the amazing Eric Roberts and his driver and uh, that's it. Are they including Dent himself as one of the five people killed? If so, that makes four... who am I missing?

Nolan was asked this last week and even he wasn't sure. I don't think it's hugely important, and in normal circumstances it would just be a piece of exposition about something that happened offscreen, but the precise and repeated use of "five deaths" makes it stick in people's minds and make them wonder what they missed. I'm firmly in the THAT WAS FUCKING AWESOME camp though.

Nolan was asked this last week and even he wasn't sure. I don't think it's hugely important, and in normal circumstances it would just be a piece of exposition about something that happened offscreen, but the precise and repeated use of "five deaths" makes it stick in people's minds and make them wonder what they missed. I'm firmly in the THAT WAS FUCKING AWESOME camp though.

I like to think that off camera he was wondering around Gotham for hours flipping his coin and shooting random people off the street.

Heath Ledger?

Anyway to actually contribute:

The Shining

I'm not sure whether the amount of references I've seen have watered it down, but the film was average at best. I'd like to say it was the usual over-hyped Kubrick mess but it was just slightly more enjoyable. The main problem was that while the child actor was doing the scared act very well (making a lot of his scenes genuinely creepy), Jack Nicholson was so over the top that the majority of the film came across as a black comedy rather than a horror. All the ghost scenes are hysterical. The bit where he axes the black guy? I had to pause the DVD because I was laughing so hard. Shelly Duvall is also waaaaay over the top to the extent that I just want her to die in the end. Also did they have to cast someone so ugly?

I'm Not There

Had I known what I was getting myself into (the film's more Velvet Goldmine than Walk The Line) and had a bit more insight into Bob Dylan then I think I would've appreciated this more. It's very arsty and if you don't have the patience to stick with something like that then this isn't the film for you. It had its moments, and a great cast with some solid performances, but it's a bit of a let down. Maybe I'll learn to appreciate it more over time, I guess. Still, worth watching for the techniques used, it's a very unique film.

The Omen (2006)

Good god it's dreadful. Really really really bad. Everything about the film is just so awful. I can't go into anymore details...if anyone needs me I'll be in the angry dome!

Edited by Almighty Rod

The Shining

I'm not sure whether the amount of references I've seen have watered it down, but the film was average at best. I'd like to say it was the usual over-hyped Kubrick mess but it was just slightly more enjoyable. The main problem was that while the child actor was doing the scared act very well (making a lot of his scenes genuinely creepy), Jack Nicholson was so over the top that the majority of the film came across as a black comedy rather than a horror.

But that was the whole point, the character of Jack goes completely and utterly insane. Jack Nicholson played the role to perfection. If you want a toned down (but closer to the book storyline-wise) version check out the TV mini series version.

The Shining

I'm not sure whether the amount of references I've seen have watered it down, but the film was average at best. I'd like to say it was the usual over-hyped Kubrick mess but it was just slightly more enjoyable. The main problem was that while the child actor was doing the scared act very well (making a lot of his scenes genuinely creepy), Jack Nicholson was so over the top that the majority of the film came across as a black comedy rather than a horror.

But that was the whole point, the character of Jack goes completely and utterly insane. Jack Nicholson played the role to perfection. If you want a toned down (but closer to the book storyline-wise) version check out the TV mini series version.

Jack Nicholson looked "completely and utterly insane" from the very beginning though. There was not one point throughout the film that Jack Nicholson seemed normal. Plus his "transformation" or whatever happens so quickly that I find the whole argument of getting to watch a regular guy turn insane laughable. And was the point of it REALLY to be a black comedy? No, or else it wouldn't be hyped up as one of the scariest films of all time. I just feel that both Nicholson and Duvall were very poor choices.

The mini-series DOES sound way better than the film, I'll have to check it out.

Jack Nicholson looked "completely and utterly insane" from the very beginning though.

Hence the "You've always been the caretaker" line. Also, Rod, see if you can watch the documentary made by Kubrick's daughter, it sheds a bit of light on why Shelly Duvall was the way she was.