DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Paid Members

Beowulf 3D - AWESOME! Its the first time I've seen a feature in 3D and wow does it suite animation. The first 20 minutes really plays up to the 3D aspect with tons of action and 3D camera tricks. After that the film settles into a slower pace and concentrates on plot development rather than constantly playing to the 3D. During this period the 3D aspect gives a great depth of field to the image which I would liken too watching a Blue Ray or HD-DVD disc on a HD TV except a bloody huge one. The ending is just as impressive as the beginning so if the action grabs you but you get a fidgety in the narrative portion know that you

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

This afternoon I watched The Road To Perdition, a film I've had on DVD for a while but never got round to watching it. Sam Mende's second film is a 1930s gangster film based on a graphic novel.I really enjoyed it. It depicts 1930's America really well, and through some beautiful shots and a great soundtrack it takes you right back to the time of prohibition and gangster run booze joints. It has a very strong cast with Hanks, Paul Newman, Jude Law (who plays an ugly character for a change) and Daniel Craig, with really strong performances from all of them, although I'm not a massive fan of Law and felt his performance was the weakest of the four (but by no means a bad performance). Tyler Hoechlin plays the child who is pivitoal to the plot, and is one of the best child actors I've seen for a while, even if his voice is as annoying as hell. The story isn't amazing, but it is gripping and the performances, direction and beauty of the film carry the film to high places. A really good gangster film, which manages to avoid the cliches to a certain extent whilst still holding onto the iconic imagery (e.g. the rainy street of Chicago holding down a great showdown between Hanks & Newman).Not as good as American Beauty, but better than Jarhead. Well worth the

• Paid Members

DEF, the third Friday The 13th was released in 3D. It's hilariously bad.

Yeah I know, I haven't seen it in 3D how ever. I meant useing the newer technology not the kind where you have to where paper glasses with red and green lenses. That being said I bet Friday 13th 3 is funny as hell in 3D.

This afternoon I watched The Road To Perdition, a film I've had on DVD for a while but never got round to watching it. Sam Mende's second film is a 1930s gangster film based on a graphic novel.I really enjoyed it. It depicts 1930's America really well, and through some beautiful shots and a great soundtrack it takes you right back to the time of prohibition and gangster run booze joints. It has a very strong cast with Hanks, Paul Newman, Jude Law (who plays an ugly character for a change) and Daniel Craig, with really strong performances from all of them, although I'm not a massive fan of Law and felt his performance was the weakest of the four (but by no means a bad performance). Tyler Hoechlin plays the child who is pivitoal to the plot, and is one of the best child actors I've seen for a while, even if his voice is as annoying as hell. The story isn't amazing, but it is gripping and the performances, direction and beauty of the film carry the film to high places. A really good gangster film, which manages to avoid the cliches to a certain extent whilst still holding onto the iconic imagery (e.g. the rainy street of Chicago holding down a great showdown between Hanks & Newman).Not as good as American Beauty, but better than Jarhead. Well worth the

• Moderators

If you'd read the book then you'd see how miscast Tom Hanks was; he kinda pretty much ruined this film singlehandedly.

I was thinking of reading the graphic novel. I don't read loads of them and so I'm quite selective with what I read. Is it it worth it?
I read it quite some time ago... But if you enjoyed the story as much as you've said in your review of the film then I don't see why you wouldn't like the book.So I saw Glengarry Glen Ross the other day... I'd been wanting to see it for a while, a lot of which was down to the praise it has had on this board from Mr. Seven and others as well I think... And I saw it on sale on video for

• Paid Members

Can anyone recommend me any Black comedies?.. Im really into them at the moment.. Things like Barbershop, Friday, Norbit, Tyler Perry Movies, etc etc.

You lost me at "Norbit"I watched Eagle Vs Shark the other day, I thought though strange and amusing, it wasn't on the levels of Napoleon Dynamite, though you can tell it tries to be. Definately worth a watch though!.