DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

Gossy, if you were impressed with Ryan Gosling, i recommend checking out "Half Nelson" where he plays a drug-addicted school teacher in an inner-city school.

Recently saw A Dirty Carnival A South Korean movie about a middle aged gangster frustrated at not really going places. Nicely paced drama/action movie, with some good performances and some great fight scenes. Definetely worth checking out if you're a fan of these type of movies.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, at long last got to see The Fountain. It's beautiful, moving, and brilliant. I think it's mental that Empire went from giving it four stars upon theatrical release to giving it one on it's dvd release. Yeah it was two different reviewers and yes the film is polarising, but to give it one star is an absolute crime. Anyways, fuck the reviews. See the film.

Finally, at long last got to see The Fountain. It's beautiful, moving, and brilliant. I think it's mental that Empire went from giving it four stars upon theatrical release to giving it one on it's dvd release. Yeah it was two different reviewers and yes the film is polarising, but to give it one star is an absolute crime. Anyways, fuck the reviews. See the film.

I was reading June's copy of Empire the other night and saw the aforementioned one-star review of The Fountain, it looked good so I checked it out on Wikipedia and it seems like something I'd like so I'll be checking it out at the earliest oppertunity.I saw 300 the other day, I was enjoying it until they went into overkill by bringing in hunchbacks and monsters, surely three hundred versus ten thousand humans was enough, why add monsters into the equation too? The whole thing felt completely unnecessary and I'm glad I didn't pay for it.

I liked 300 but it goes down in my estimation the more I think of it. The Fountain is stunning though. It's a headfuck, it's flawed and it's not perfect, but it's still an exceptional piece of filmmaking.

I suppose Aronofsky is one of those film makers who has a following and if your not part of that following then your unlikely to enjoy his stuff. Anyway you just know that if the film was in french and had subtitles Empire would be touting it as a modern day masterpiece that everybody should see.

Recently saw A Dirty Carnival A South Korean movie about a middle aged gangster frustrated at not really going places. Nicely paced drama/action movie, with some good performances and some great fight scenes. Definetely worth checking out if you're a fan of these type of movies.

"Adds another film to never ending list"A Ma Soeur! I'm not sure what to put about this. Strange, heart warming and disturbing in parts with a very unpredictable and shocking ending. I'm not watching my usual 7-10 films a week ratio at the moment due to Wrestling catch up Edited by ultimo the great

saw two cop films recently...> > > Miami Vicethis got critical acclaim for not going for stereotype pastel shirts and cheesy 80s synthpop - but that's why I didn't like it. I guess it's a pretty smart police flick or whatever... but I *wanted* A Flock Of Seagulls playing as Jamie Foxx went past in a pink Armani jacket. It just bored me, and seemed a waste of the title.> > > The DepartedHow did this win an Oscar? Seriously. There's a lot good here - some of the scenes pull things together really well (sorry for the movie critic speak), like the one where Queenan dies. But so much is just shite. What's with all the fancy camerwork? It wasn't til after the film that I realised the Ray Winstone character wasn't the same guy who played Morrie in Goodfellas, so I couldn't really take him seriously. :D We're never really introduced to the main characters - I still don't know Matt Damon's name in the film - and can anyone really see Damon as some sort of cool, breezey charmer? The twists were so bang-on it was unreal.again, there's a lot to like - I like how everyone is Irish-American (despite some dodgy accents ;) ) and not knowing who's good and who's bad, but overall, a good story really poorly executeddon't really like to be so negative, but two disappointments for me

• Paid Members

saw two cop films recently...> > > Miami Vicethis got critical acclaim for not going for stereotype pastel shirts and cheesy 80s synthpop - but that's why I didn't like it. I guess it's a pretty smart police flick or whatever... but I *wanted* A Flock Of Seagulls playing as Jamie Foxx went past in a pink Armani jacket. It just bored me, and seemed a waste of the title.

Yeah, seen a wee bit of this on Sky Premiere last night. Wasn't as good as what I hoped. Its on until Friday at 8pm, after that its "Silent Hill". Anybody seen that?