DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't say interviewing is the right word.He's a guest speaker for my Media Writing lecture and it's a Q&A session for a couple of hours and I'm going to be right at the front and shake his hand afterwards. A surprising number of people had no idea who he was.I might try and get him to do a soundbite for our student radio show too.

Edited by HBAndy

• Paid Members

Garden StateI thought this was a pretty good film! Some moments of pure hilarity.. but also moments that make you think a bit. Natalie Portman was adorable! Her giggle gets me everytime :).Leon The ProfessionalI loved this. Great story about a killer and a little girl. Portman was amazing.. she was probably about 15 in this one.. and still put on a strong performance. Gary Oldman was good also!

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2Well, I didn't expect this to be as good as it is. I absolutely loved the start of this. To say I was pretty shocked by it would be an understatement. The ending isn't as good as the original, and I'm not sure that there was any need for it to be done the way it was done, but everything up to that point sure was enjoyable.

Sympathy For Mr VengeanceI thought it was ok. But i think i was probably expecting too much, because i'd seen Oldboy before. It had it's momments but seemed to drag a little in places. I was also very tired while watching it so, i will try to watch it again sometime.

• Paid Members

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2Well, I didn't expect this to be as good as it is. I absolutely loved the start of this. To say I was pretty shocked by it would be an understatement. The ending isn't as good as the original, and I'm not sure that there was any need for it to be done the way it was done, but everything up to that point sure was enjoyable.

yeesssss...TCM 2 is definatly an acquired taste, considering its directed by the origional's director Tobe Hooper this comes off as somewhat of a spoof, and that's how it was intended, i recently got the Special Edition and they say they intentionally tried to make a comedy (Bill Mosely rules as Chop-Top), having said that it's amazing that this was ever put out at all, the film was dogged by made production and shooting problems. If you liked the film pick up the region 1 special edition, the doc. on there is superb.

• Paid Members

banged in a few today:

Close Encounters of The Third Kind - a classic and one of my favourite films, i've always been obsessed with aliens and abduction so this film nails it for me. It definatly looks at aliens from a different kind of angle, the aliens here are docile and friendly and it makes for a touching and beautiful film. The first 3 quarters are pure mystery, all leading to the final scene on Devil's Peak. The finale is one of my favourite scenes in any film, jaw-dropping.

Hard Candy - hoolllly shit! this was intense. Again his is off an accquired taste, props go out to the two actors involved who are both f'n superb, the line between right and wrong is blurred in this movie. If you're into revenge movies, get this now! Brutal!

Total Recall - Sci-Fi classic! Arnie's 80'/90's movie were outright flawless for me, great sense of nostalgia, one-liners and a pretty clever little story, add the fact that it's gore'd up by Paul Verhoeven and you've got a blemmer on your hands, ive seen this about 15 times and it never gets old.

it's been a pretty good day's worth of viewing :)

yeesssss...TCM 2 is definatly an acquired taste, considering its directed by the origional's director Tobe Hooper this comes off as somewhat of a spoof, and that's how it was intended, i recently got the Special Edition and they say they intentionally tried to make a comedy (Bill Mosely rules as Chop-Top), having said that it's amazing that this was ever put out at all, the film was dogged by made production and shooting problems. If you liked the film pick up the region 1 special edition, the doc. on there is superb.
I havent seen TCM 2 but i think that documenatery's on the Special Edition of the original, and it's superb. The "making of" the first movie is great too.

Hard Candy - hoolllly shit! this was intense. Again his is off an accquired taste, props go out to the two actors involved who are both f'n superb, the line between right and wrong is blurred in this movie. If you're into revenge movies, get this now! Brutal!

I just recently watched this too, and I did feel the intensity but I didn't feel anything else, it was a decent enough concept and told it's story effective enough but there was just not enough within the film itself (I couldn't pin it down whether it was story, structure, direction, execution or whatever) but there was something which left me very empty about the film.

UKedge87 wrote:-

Borat

I went to see this last night, and I was not disapointed at all (apart from seeing my local cinema had hiked ticket prices again).

The film is great in that it takes the characters to a step it has not before, and really pushes the limits to the point it is unbelievably hard to watch some parts, e.g. when he pulls up to a gang of black youths in a bad areas or stays at an elderly JEWISH couples house.

It stays even sharper to those who have followed the character with scripted (and v. funny) sketches in between interviews etc, such as Borat in his hotel room or in Kazahkstan.

The only fact I will point out is that it does not have as much meaty material as the TV series, it surface glides over a lot of material and you can tell there is a lot on the cutting room floor, but with a comedy flick that is to be expected. I have my fingers crossed for a juicy double disc DVD release.

I urge anyone who likes alternative comedy to watch this. It is easily the best comedy film I have seen this year.

Cant really add to this - went to the cinema for the first time in 7 years, and i was very happy with my purchase. ill def be getting this DVD too, hoping for some deleted scenes. I could have done without the penis and naked wrestling, but apart from that, all good stuff - Borat is 100000 times better than Ali G.