DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

Sweet! I can't actually wait for the Borat movie. Although its not out for a while is it? I seem to think its 2nd November.

The Matrix Revoultions

Aka the Matrix 3. The Matrix films I think go from superb to rubbish in the course of the trilogy. I.E (1st = Outstanding, Reloaded = Good and very enjoyable, Revolutions = Cliche'd, over-complicated, and dragged out.

The storyline picks up from Reloaded with Neo out after managing to use super powers outside of the Matrix. Bascially the plot follows a full machine invasion of Sion which will destroy everything including the Matrix and everything in it, oh and Agent Smith is still going around fucking things up.

The film drags. And I mean big time. There is enough material for the film to last 45 minutes to an hour, instead the viewer is bombarded with repetitive shots of 'sentinel' machines fucking things up in Sion, and the various ships going through, well, whatever world it is set in.

Like Reloaded, it over-complicates the plot, leaving lots of plot holes and questions unanswered. Which is passable if you've seen a few times (I have seen it twice), but on first viewing is horrible.

The cast are probably one of the best and worst factors of the flick: whilst the cliche'd dialogue ("Kiss me Neo" is Trinity's last words, that was fresh when Napoleon said it!) weakens the film to the point it gives the impression of an intelligent concept dressed up as a B-Movie, the acting is strong and packs a punch in terms of emotion (although Reeves would have to go a long way before getting my empathy, he still does the 'blank face with hints of determination' act).

The only redeeming feautre is the action/ fight sequences (apart from the battle scenes) which are beautifully cheographed, hard hitting (lots of blood and wounds) and full of twists. However, they are lost in the confusing mix of mythology and technology in this final chapter.

Edited by ukedge87

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched Anchorman today for the second time.

I really hated it the first time I watched it (in the same way I hated Old School the first time I saw it) but the second time it just gave me plenty of pure, easy and fun laughs. I didn't like Christina Applegate one bit (why is it so difficult to find a good comedic actress?) but the male characters were all hilarious. I loved it this time around and am so enjoying the comedy landscape at the moment thanks to most of the guys involved in a film like this.

• Paid Members

I didn't like Christina Applegate one bit (why is it so difficult to find a good comedic actress?)

It's terrible. She's got beautiful eyes and her hair smells like cinnamon.There's no such thing as a good comedic actress and that is a scientific fact.

I went to a free advance preview of the Borat film last night.

I've heard it features a real-life chocolate face... Edited by purplemonkeydishwasher

The Black Dahlia

Brian De Palma's latest, based on the James Ellroy novel of the same name, starring Josh Hartnett and Aaron Eckhart as detectives in the 1940's trying to solve the brutal murder of the eponymous Black Dahlia. Hilary Swank, Scarlett Johansson and Mia Kirshner also star.

I thought it looked great, started really well, but was pretty poor overall. Hartnett has a great voice for narration, and he was ok in the lead role, but he conveyed next to no emotion. Eckhart was capable as always, Johansson was nothing and Hilary Swank was hilariously bad, just awful. What the fuck was up with her accent? Mia Kirshner was good with the limited material she had, but ultimately I just couldn't bring myself to care about any of the characters and was bored for the majority of the running time.

The Black DahliaThe problem with this film is that it spends so long paying homage to forties detective movies, it never really comes into it's own. Every actor (with the exception of Kirshner) just seems to be playing a cliche.Johansson isn't given anything to do, she just spends most of the time sulking and smoking a cigarette. Hartnett is decent but nothing special and it's weird to see Swank playing a femme fatale. Only Mia Kirshner really succeeds in her part, conveying the sadness tragedy of her character when we see her in audition tapes and flashbacks. The film looks great, I'll give it that. And it was enjoyable in places, but it was like a really shitty version of L.A confidential (another James Ellroy book adapted for film).Along came a spider: Daughter of a senator gets kindapped and a detective (Morgan Freeman) teams up with her bodygaurd to find her.Good movie and the twist is awesome, didn't see it coming. I might get the book it's based on.

Edited by Garrett

Ring (Aka Ringu)

This cult Japanese horror follows the investigative journalism of a young Reiko Aswaka, who in the course of duty watches a cursed video tape, in which the viewer is killed by a mysterious force exactly seven days after viewing. In her last week alive she tries to get to the truth behind the video (and it's apparent power) in order to save her life, and also the lives of her son and ex-husband who end up watching the tape.

Chances are you've heard of this film, or at least its American remake. Ringu is the most succesful film in Japanese history in terms of finicial box office records, and is seen as marmite for horror fans (love it or hate it?).

The first time I saw this film I almost wet myself. Seriously. Every twist, dark camera angle, screeching of the non-melodic soundtrack had my heart racing. Unfortatnutley, it wasn't true of the second viewing. The scares are obvious a mile off (due to long build ups), and in terms of horror it doesn't quite work.

However, I would still say that as a film it still works. Unlike most of its fellow genre inmates, even with the horror stripped away, there is enough narrative to make the film work and the detective side of the story (although fairly underwhelming at times due to the easy accesbility of what they are looking for) makes it far more worthwhile than the typical slasher flicks that have plagued the horror films recently.

The dark undertones (murky lighting, and slow panning shots) certainly create an atmosphere suitable on first viewing, but on second time round, without the shock value, they are a little bit too obvious, as if the plot is stuck in a linear rut in terms of style.

The film is superior to its American cousin in my view due to the strong cast, and the horriftying first viewing (if you haven't seen this film I would advice you watch it with someone, with the lights on), and whilst directed very tastefully and artistically (and far better than any American horror of the last 10 or so years) lacks the brutal or horrific punch an effective horror film should have.

Haze

A man wakes up to find himself locked in a tiny, cramped concrete room, in which he can barely move. He doesn't remember why he is there and where he came from, but he has a terrible stomach injury and is slowly bleeding to death. He explores the narrow confines of his prison and crawls around the maze-like room, only to see a horrible vision of hell waiting for him at each end of the room. Finally he gives up on the struggle and collapses in exhaustion. He then begins to remember images from his past and clinging onto the images he creeps forward with the last ounces of his strength and meets a woman. The man and the woman both try to recall where they came from, but their memories are so uncertain that they are not even sure they want to return. The man is ready to give up but the woman insists on going forward.

Written, directed and starring Shinya Tsukamoto (writer and director of Tetsuo, A Snake of June and Vital), Haze is a very interesting film which feels like a cross between Saw and Cube (amongst many other films). It has a great claustrophobic feeling about it throughout, and whilst it is too dark to see what is going on at times, you feel that is the idea as the viewer is then put in the same position as the main character seeing what little he is able to see. It is a confusing movie, and could probably have done with more explained in the end, but Haze is the kind of movie which leaves a lot for the viewer to think about after it has finished and leaves you to interpret the movie for your self. With a runtime of only 50-minutes, the film is short enough that it won't take much of your time, and therefore it is an easy recommendation from me to see it if you are a fan of Shinya Tsukamoto films.

Guest House Paradiso - Alot of people hate it, but I found it to be an entertaining film, with the same slapstick humour as Bottom and a good cast (Simon Pegg, Fenella Fielding, Kate Ashfield, Bill Nighy, Vincent Cassel, H

• Paid Members

I watched Jakob The Liar last night. Robin Williams really is an outstanding actor when he decides to actually act. Same with Jim Carrey.Anyway, basic plot of the film - set in a Jewish ghetto in WWII Poland. A rumour is spread that Jakob has a radio and has heard the Russians are coming to liberate the ghetto. Everyone's hopes are raised and they're happy. But then the gestapo find out someone has a radio and Jakob has to come clean. It's a really good film with some great characters in it. And, predictabley, it made me cry.

I watched the Hellraiser series of films a couple of weeks ago...

Hellraiser - The best of the 8 Hellraiser movies (which in part could be due to Clive Barker having more involvement in this film than any other in the series), which is hugely entertaining at times with great visuals, a good story, solid acting from all involved, good use of music and some great-looking Cenobite characters

I'm having a bit of a Bond season in work at the moment, and I had Die Another Day on today. It's perhaps too ridiculous, even for a Bond movie. From the invisible car to the power-death glove and robot suit thing, it seems to be too much mentalness for a James Bond movie. I know they're hardly grounded in reality, but still. Gotta love that giant sun powered laser thing and the bit where Bond parasails (!) through really awful CGI. And let's not forget the albino Korean with diamonds in his face.

Zao is actually a badass, but gets offed in such a dumb way, which displeased me as he could have been something special.

zao_kuba.jpg

R.I.P.

On the subject of Bond and Bond films, lets do the classic...Who is your favourite Bond and Favourite Bond film?Mine is Pierce Brosnan and Goldeneye. (I think I like Goldeneye best because of the game, but I can't remember what I did/watched first)