WHAT PLAY YOU?

Onyx2

Oh, I also got Wargods, Dark Rift and Dual Heroes. All of them are really, really shitty. My other plan is to get as close as I can to playing every beatemup ever, I forgot just how bad the N64 fighting games were. The Dreamcast and Saturn were a breeze, the PS2 and Xbox have a decent crop of fighters, Neo Geo is of course exemplary, the N64... jesus. I love beatemups more than any other genre, I didn't buy a single one for my N64. Clayfighter 63 and a third, a version of MK Trilogy that's far worse than the already poor PS version, War Gods, Dark Rift, Dual Heroes, Deadly Arts, BioFreaks and Killer Instinct Gold (which is somehow far inferior to the SNES Killer Instinct). Awful, awful awful. They should have done a conversion of Rise of the robots just to complete the set. All that said, Raguka kids is meant to be pretty good, so I live in hope.

Fighter's Destiny (the original) is worth a bash, although the cow and Jester are absolute fuckers to beat.I'm currently in the final chapter of Resi 4 and I've loved it so far. I've also just started TimeSplitters: Future Perfect which, in single player mode at least, is much better that TS2.After that, it'll be retro Resi 2 and revisiting Shadow of Memories and Escape From Monkey Island. Yeah.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PES5 is ever-present so I won't be mentioning it again, just assume that its draning too many hours of my life each time I post in here. I returned to my trusty DS for a couple of long train journeys recently, got a new high score on Yoshi Touch and go! marathon mode and improved most of my Wario Ware scores too. Did a few more missions on Advance Wars DS, then I arrived at my destination. DS = destroyer of journeys. They need to put magic Wi-fi access points on Virgin trains so I can go online with Mario Kart. Other stuff, got an N64 emulator and rediscovered the joy of No Mercy, except better! Better how? Better because the visuals are sharper, the rom doesn't wipe itself like my buggy cartridge did and I can use all the funky mods and gameshark codes (some of which are thankfully built into the emulator) so I can spawn ladders out of nowhere and use edited moves and so forth. The N64 emulator has also allowed me to continue my quest to play some of the worst games ever made. To that end, I got MK Mythologies: Sub Zero and Superman 64. Sub 10% games are the new hotness. Shuffle, shuffle, shuffle, jump, press button to turn round, GET CRUSHED AND DIE WITHOUT WARNING. Well done midway, well done. As for Superman, flying through rings in the fog, just like in the movies!!! Superman's arm comes off randomly and he moves like an arthtritic old man who has soiled himself, just like in the movies!! Great, great game. Imagine being the kid who got this for your birthday, or the parent who spent 50-60 quid on it. Ruahahah. Oh, I also got Wargods, Dark Rift and Dual Heroes. All of them are really, really shitty. My other plan is to get as close as I can to playing every beatemup ever, I forgot just how bad the N64 fighting games were. The Dreamcast and Saturn were a breeze, the PS2 and Xbox have a decent crop of fighters, Neo Geo is of course exemplary, the N64... jesus. I love beatemups more than any other genre, I didn't buy a single one for my N64. Clayfighter 63 and a third, a version of MK Trilogy that's far worse than the already poor PS version, War Gods, Dark Rift, Dual Heroes, Deadly Arts, BioFreaks and Killer Instinct Gold (which is somehow far inferior to the SNES Killer Instinct). Awful, awful awful. They should have done a conversion of Rise of the robots just to complete the set. All that said, Raguka kids is meant to be pretty good, so I live in hope.

Superman 64! I have been itching to play this game since it first came out. The reviews were so appalling. I'll need to get into this N64 emulation malarky. Mythlogies was a horrific game, random deaths that were nothing to do with gaming skill, just shite programming. I remember quite liking Clayfighter on the mega drive so will need to have a look at the N64 version to see why it got such awful reviews.Rise of the Robots :( that game got bloody good reviews, they must have paid a lot of journalists a lot of cash, that was the worst game i have ever played.

Rise Of The Robots is easily the shittest game ever.Although Superman is crap as well.Maybe another one'll come out if the new film does well.

There was a great C64 Superman game back in the day. Overhead grid of a city, you could fly in between the buildings. One player was Superman, the other Darkseid. Supes shot heat vision, which you controlled the length of, like a laser in Gradius. Darkseid shot... something similar, that was blue. There were deflectors to angle the shots round buildings, and lots of citizens walking around that you could either grab and pull to safety or murder horribly, depending on who you were. So. Much. Fun.

revisiting Shadow of Memories

Is this worth a bash? I bought it for a fiver and it quickly became one of those games I just never got around to playing.
It's kind of fun for a while but it really depends how the story grabs you. If you find the plot interesting then you'll get a lot of play out of it, and if you don't, you won't. I didn't find it that interesting myself. It was fairly well-received when it was released, but it's not a game I'd recommend to someone in 2006 - there are better games around based on similar ideas.

• Awards Moderator

There was a great C64 Superman game back in the day. Overhead grid of a city, you could fly in between the buildings. One player was Superman, the other Darkseid. Supes shot heat vision, which you controlled the length of, like a laser in Gradius. Darkseid shot... something similar, that was blue. There were deflectors to angle the shots round buildings, and lots of citizens walking around that you could either grab and pull to safety or murder horribly, depending on who you were. So. Much. Fun.

Dozens of minigames too! Somehow Darkseid devised this bizarre 'beam' that could capture citizens and bring them back the way he wanted, like Spidey elastic bands or something.And paralysing someone with the longest blast of heat vision ever~!

revisiting Shadow of Memories

Is this worth a bash? I bought it for a fiver and it quickly became one of those games I just never got around to playing.
It's kind of fun for a while but it really depends how the story grabs you. If you find the plot interesting then you'll get a lot of play out of it, and if you don't, you won't. I didn't find it that interesting myself. It was fairly well-received when it was released, but it's not a game I'd recommend to someone in 2006 - there are better games around based on similar ideas.
Like what him say ^^^A big barrier I found was a the AWFUL voice acting, but I guess if you can handle having your character, name of Eike Kusch (pronounced "Eh-ke Koosh") called "Ike Kush" by everyone like he's a fat American tourist for the whole game, it's not bad. There's certainly more than a fiver's worth of entertainment in there. :thumbsup:

Clayfighter 63 and a third, a version of MK Trilogy that's far worse than the already poor PS version, War Gods, Dark Rift, Dual Heroes, Deadly Arts, BioFreaks and Killer Instinct Gold (which is somehow far inferior to the SNES Killer Instinct). Awful, awful awful. They should have done a conversion of Rise of the robots just to complete the set. All that said, Raguka kids is meant to be pretty good, so I live in hope.

Get Smash Bros.Been playing Blast Corps (N64), Grandia II (DC) and Jade Empire (Xbox). Plus still playing too much Halo 2 online.

Rise Of The Robots is easily the shittest game ever.Although Superman is crap as well.Maybe another one'll come out if the new film does well.

There's one due by EA in the summer. Looks alright in the screenshots but EA don't have the best track record with licensed games.

• Paid Members

I actually have Smash Bros, totally forgot about it because I see it as more of a multiplayer party game. But yes, an example of a quality beatemup on the N64, huzzah. In other news, will be playing a bit more Halo this week. The housemates still aren't all that keen on Halo 2 so we mainly play the first one. Two on two, big custom made divide down the middle of the screen to thwart dirty screen watchers and lots of killing. Next week I should have some rather special newish games in my possession, more on those to come.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Thought this fine thread should be revived.

Pro evolution soccer management

I'm not a fan. A management game hampered by Pro evo's limited database (for a management game anyway) or a Pro evo game limited by the inability to play the matches. Either way, it leaves you wanting to play Football Manager or play PES5, but certainly not wanting to keep playing it.

The Rumble Fish

A fine 2d fighter from Sammy with a funky visual style reminiscent of Viewtiful Joe. Some kind of 2d/cel shaded hybrid. All looks very stylish anyway. The characters and fighting system aren't a patch on Sammy's own Guilty Gear XX but it's still well worth a go. I like the concept of attack and defense bars. You have one supercombo bar that fills as you block and another that fills as you attack, with each having a super combo unique to them. However, if you fill them both up you gain access to an even better third super. So you can "turtle" or you can go for the onslaught approach and have some success, but they're trying to encourage a balance. I like that.

Firepro returns

Yes! Firepro is back. Get this, you need it. Too many classic moments to mention. The roster is bigger than ever, edit mode has been expanded yet again, there is a ludicrous selection of moves and they've added even more modes and match types. The 4 vs 4 tags can now be done elimination style, the garbage matches have been boosted with increasingly nutty additions (Landmine deathmatches!) and they've brought in the King of Colosseum match make mode. My first card was a mixed bag, but a filler match with Dragon Kid and Ryo Saito vs The Sato twins was a 20 minute sprint that produced the sleeper match of the night. I actually felt that it was the best match out of the six whilst playing it and was thus pleased when the quality rating thing at the end reflected this. I basically did a shitload of Irish whips and tried to maintain a crazy tempo. Of course the superb CPU logic that firepro is known for meant that the Sato twins contributed with some amazing co-ordinated double team stuff too. Match make mode is a good thing.

So my first few goes involved trying out the DragonGate roster and extended family to see what they'd done with them. Genki makes the crowd chant "H-A-G-E", the Florida Brothers can do the fake DQ chair spot, Antony W Mori has the escargot, Yossino has his torbellino and the sol naciente and the comori, the Paradise lock is in, Brother YASSHI and Owashi are in, Kondo does the Gorilla clutch, the Sato Twins have Syachihoko machine costumes as their alternative looks. The list goes on. I'm currently editing in the few missing DG people, the layer editing thing you can do with each body part is superb, I used Tigermask plus a crazy mohican hair-do in red to make a rather convincing Super Shisa.

All of this is rather esoteric and DG-centric, but seriously everyone should get this. Aside from current WWE guys the roster will surely have something for you (Bruiser Brody, AJ Styles, Jushin Liger, Super Uchu Power, Ebessan, KENTA, The Great Sasuke, Kevin Nash, El Hijo Del Santo. Aja Kong... yeah, varied.) If not, use the edit mode and you can create at least a half decent version of almost anyone.

The makers of this game clearly love pro wrestling more than I do and it really, really shows.

Guest British_Dragon

Playing Black on Ps2 at the minute........WOWput it this way if your a fan of shooter games and you dont have this, on any patform, then you deserve to get stabbed in the eye by a very sharp needle coated in salt and vinegar.It is a hard game, but not to hard (well on easy setting that is), have completed it once and now am trying to complete it on the harder dificulty levels. Without spoiling it ill just say this, i think the final level will be impossible on Black Ops mode!